Unable to reinstall WHS after HDD failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am unable to re-install WHS and I hope that somebody can help me.

About 6 weeks ago my server (a tranquil-PC SQA-5H) failed to boot.  After closer inspection is was showing that the windows registry was corrupt.  So I removed the HD and with some Western Digital tools I scanned the drive for problems.  It shows errors and WD issued me with an RMA to replace the drive.

So I got the new drive, installed it in the device and tried booting of the CD supplied by Tranquil.  After a couple of minutes the starting windows progress bar appears and about 30 seconds later I get a blue screen of death!  The error message is;

"A problem has been detected with windows and it has been shutdown to prevent samage to your computer"
    "STOP 0x0000007B 0x86E03BA0 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000"

I can not get past this stage.  I have tried the WHS_recovery.exe but this does not detect the server.  The home server recovery USB provided by tranquil seems not to work and neither does the method for creating a USB boot device.  Tranquil themselves are VERY slow answering and just say "try a new optical device, try a new sata cable, take the machine apart and reinsert the RAM and if you send it back and it is a SW problem then we will charge you".  Not really very helpful.

I  have tried installing to different HDD but with no luck.  But I did manage to install Ubuntu onto the HDD with no problems!

So please help me as I don't know what else to do to try and fix the problem.

Thanks

Jason

Saturday, August 7, 2010 10:03 AM

All replies

• STOP 0x0000007B :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

"dj_jay_smith" wrote in message news:86d981b5-9c0f-4dca-aa00-894a22857a56@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi All,

About 6 weeks ago my server (a tranquil-PC SQA-5H) failed to boot. After closer inspection is was showing that the windows registry was corrupt. So I removed the HD and with some Western Digital tools I scanned the drive for problems. It shows errors and WD issued me with an RMA to replace the drive.

So I got the new drive, installed it in the device and tried booting of the CD supplied by Tranquil. After a couple of minutes the starting windows progress bar appears and about 30 seconds later I get a blue screen of death! The error message is;

"A problem has been detected with windows and it has been shutdown to prevent samage to your computer"
    "STOP 0x0000007B 0x86E03BA0 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000"

I can not get past this stage. I have tried the WHS_recovery.exe but this does not detect the server. The home server recovery USB provided by tranquil seems not to work and neither does the method for creating a USB boot device. Tranquil themselves are VERY slow answering and just say "try a new optical device, try a new sata cable, take the machine apart and reinsert the RAM and if you send it back and it is a SW problem then we will charge you". Not really very helpful.

I have tried installing to different HDD but with no luck. But I did manage to install Ubuntu onto the HDD with no problems!

Thanks

Jason

Have a nice day!
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Thanks but this does not really help.  It states it is for Windows XP and not valid for WHS, but if I ignore this then some issues could be;

A boot sector virus, but this is unlikely given that I have tried 2 HDD 1 of which is straight from the manufactorer.

Another reason could be the drivers.  This seems like a possibility, but given that I am using the WHS install from tranquil-pc themselves then I would expect the driver to be included.  But if we asume that they are not I never get the chance to press f6 and install/select 3rd party drivers so I can do anything about this.

Any other suggestions?

Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:39 AM
  • It states it is for Windows XP and not valid for WHS, but if I ignore this then some issues could be;

Pssstt.....
    APPLIES TO
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
    Back to the top

and not valid for WHS

Doesn't read exclusions there,.

Psst.. 2 : WHS is based on Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Or maybe your controller is down hill.

"dj_jay_smith" wrote in message news:78889f42-4cb2-4970-b201-e7a2ec8348bc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Thanks but this does not really help. It states it is for Windows XP and not valid for WHS, but if I ignore this then some issues could be;

A boot sector virus, but this is unlikely given that I have tried 2 HDD 1 of which is straight from the manufactorer.

Another reason could be the drivers. This seems like a possibility, but given that I am using the WHS install from tranquil-pc themselves then I would expect the driver to be included. But if we asume that they are not I never get the chance to press f6 and install/select 3rd party drivers so I can do anything about this.

Any other suggestions?

Have a nice day!
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Did you try restoring/resinsalling WHS whithout the data drives?
    This would rule out any problems with the data drives and should work.

If this is not working also: I would say there is some hardware problem involved as (from what I understand) reinstalling the the device with the original installation media and procedures fails. Good reasons to RMA your server?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Hi All,

About 6 weeks ago my server (a tranquil-PC SQA-5H) failed to boot.  After closer inspection is was showing that the windows registry was corrupt.  So I removed the HD and with some Western Digital tools I scanned the drive for problems.  It shows errors and WD issued me with an RMA to replace the drive.

So I got the new drive, installed it in the device and tried booting of the CD supplied by Tranquil.  After a couple of minutes the starting windows progress bar appears and about 30 seconds later I get a blue screen of death!  The error message is;

"STOP 0x0000007B 0x86E03BA0 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000"

I can not get past this stage.  I have tried the WHS_recovery.exe but this does not detect the server.  The home server recovery USB provided by tranquil seems not to work and neither does the method for creating a USB boot device.  Tranquil themselves are VERY slow answering and just say "try a new optical device, try a new sata cable, take the machine apart and reinsert the RAM and if you send it back and it is a SW problem then we will charge you".  Not really very helpful.

I  have tried installing to different HDD but with no luck.  But I did manage to install Ubuntu onto the HDD with no problems!

Thanks

Jason

A STOP 0x7B is basically always a storage controller error. If this is happening in text mode setup after the first reboot it's probably a hard drive controller, and you're not paying attention when the "Press F6" prompt appears (it's only visible for a few seconds). Options here are to pay closer attention and inject the right drivers, or to set your BIOS from AHCI/RAID to legacy IDE for the SATA controllers.

If it's happening immediately after you boot from the CD, I would suspect the optical drive.

That said, I would think that Tranquil would at least be able to walk you through their custom process for restoring a home server after a hard drive replacement. If their restore process doesn't work, the problem is likely to be hardware.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:24 PM