Office 2007 programs will not open RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am having problems with Microsoft Office.  After  using Office 2003 successfully for a couple of year, I began to have problems.  I uninstalled Office 2003 Student and Teacher as I was receiving error every time I tried to open. Unfortunately I did not save error message.  It was something like user not recognized.  Installed 2007 Student and Teacher Trial version to see if this would solve my problems.  Installation was successful.  Office programs accessible from start menu.  However, when I attempt to open them nothing happens.  I did notice that the process shows up briefly when I try to open Word and Excel, but then disappears.  I do not receive error message...just nothing appears.  Its as if I never opened it.  Tried opening in safe mode...nothing happens.  Ran diagnostic...everything appears fine except the following: 

Update Diagnostic  — Unable to access a required file

The Update Diagnostic was unable to run because it requires a file that you have chosen not to download. To give Microsoft Office permission to download this file, do one of the following in one of these 2007 Office release programs:

• Access, Excel, PowerPoint, or Word

1. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Access Options, Excel Options, PowerPoint Options, or Word Options.
      2. Click Trust Center, click Advanced Trust Center Settings, and then click Privacy Options.
      3. Select the Download a file periodically that helps determine system problems check box.
      4. Wait about a week to allow the file to be downloaded, and then run Microsoft Office Diagnostics again.

I wasn't able to locate the trust center to request the download...possibly because I can't open anything in office. 

Please help!  Definitely not a techie...I know just enough to get by, but am stumped by this.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:57 AM

All replies