Certificate error using RDP with Windows 7 SP1 client RRS feed

• Question

• After updating Windows 7 clients to SP1, I now get a certificate error using Remote Desktop Connection when connecting to my Windows Home Server.

The error states "A revocation check could not be performed for this certificate." I am able to connect by 'ignoring' the error.

Is this a known issue, and (if so) is there a workaround or fix for this?

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:50 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem.

Have a look at this work around: http://www.homeserverland.com/2011/03/how-to-fix-the-windows-home-server-certificate-revocation-error/

and a response purported to be from Microsoft:

https://connect.microsoft.com/windows7/feedback/details/572283/whs-windows-home-server-a-revocation-check-could-not-be-performed-for-the-certificate

Posted by Microsoft Hi, In order to increase the reliability of Windows Home Server and reduce the chances of a home user getting the server machine into a dirty state, the team has decided to NOT support Remote Desktop login as indicated by the Internet Explorer warning page that pops up upon successful Remote Desktop connection (see %systemroot%\install\admin_desktop_warning.htm). All supported scenarios are enabled through the Windows Home Server Console installed on a client computer. Thanks, John

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:03 PM
  • A predictably lame response from Microsoft.

I see, those who decide to stay with WHS v1 can look forward to more and more of this 'accidental' incompatibility.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:31 AM
  • It looks like this will not get resolved and we have to put up with a certificate error every time we RDP.  Since RDP is still possible, how does this protect against a "dirty machine"?

I log in to my WHS via RDP every day, to clear the numerous errors, check on my ClamWin anti-virus, etc.  Can't do that easily from the console.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:24 AM
  • I suppose that Microsoft's thinking might be that the average home user will be scared off by the warning, while us nerds will carry on regardless...
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:55 AM
  • No such error when RDPing to WHS2011 RC!!
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:42 PM
  • No such error when RDPing to WHS2011 RC!!

Strange - I get the revocation error on my WHS 2011 RC test box as well as on my WHS V1 server...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:22 PM
  • OK, I will check again later but I don't think I do!
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Just checked and confirm that I only get the problem with the original WHS and NOT WHS 2011 RC
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Exact same probem here.

Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:27 PM
  • +1

And I don't find the "official" response at all helpful -- it's an unnecessary annoyance that should be fixed.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:16 PM