NoReplyAll Add in Tool error RRS feed

• Question

• Good day. I was testing the tool and install in 2 PCs (users) when i sent the email with the NoReplyAll and Foward disabled on the 2nd PC that also have this Addins installed this users is able to disable the Optins and foward the email. Can i see like an programing error? I think that the 2nd PC (User) should not be able to enable the option and foward.

How can i solve this?

THanks

Shamir Jamu Gulamo

Friday, November 4, 2016 6:43 AM

Answers

• This is deliberate, sorry! The "protection" afforded by this add-in is so weak, that it would be misleading to pretend that the recipient cannot undo it. (All it takes is a line of VBA.) The add-in is based on a feature built into Outlook which merely causes the reply, forward, etc. buttons in Outlook to be disabled: it doesn't provide any stronger protection, so the add-in doesn't either.

The add-in should not be used to prevent important information from leaking outside an organisation. Even if the user wasn't able to re-enable forwarding, she could view email via something other than desktop Outlook, or simply copy and paste the body of the email. Something like IRM would be necessary to do the job properly.

Friday, November 4, 2016 7:15 AM

All replies

• This is deliberate, sorry! The "protection" afforded by this add-in is so weak, that it would be misleading to pretend that the recipient cannot undo it. (All it takes is a line of VBA.) The add-in is based on a feature built into Outlook which merely causes the reply, forward, etc. buttons in Outlook to be disabled: it doesn't provide any stronger protection, so the add-in doesn't either.

The add-in should not be used to prevent important information from leaking outside an organisation. Even if the user wasn't able to re-enable forwarding, she could view email via something other than desktop Outlook, or simply copy and paste the body of the email. Something like IRM would be necessary to do the job properly.

Friday, November 4, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Thanks Gavin for your attention and replie with details. Then can we wait for the new updates? Do you know other Tools that can encrypt emails?

Thanks

Shamir Jamu Gulamo

Friday, November 4, 2016 12:31 PM
  • I'm sure there are several options, but the only one I've actually used is Exchange IRM - see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Introduction-to-IRM-for-email-messages-3629182E-0C4F-4D3E-A495-DFA4AEA21AA3 or https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638140.aspx for a summary.

(I've only ever been a user of IRM - I don't know anything about enabling or administering it on the server.)

Saturday, November 5, 2016 7:54 AM