Does WHS 2011 work with Windows 10 Technical Preview? RRS feed

• Question

• Can you use WHS 2011 backup agent on Windows 10 Technical Preview?

Since Windows 10 is in "beta", it would nice to be able to do backups on WHS.

Or do WHS 2011 need an upgrade to work on Windows 10?

Thursday, December 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Answers

• Yes it does work with Windows 10 Preview.  I have Build 9879 running on a desktop and two laptops (I like to play and explore).  I will stress that when you load over the old system you may need to remove the connector and reinstall.  I provided feedback to this issue; however, Have not had a problem since.

What happened was on one of my machines the connector came up and could not find the server and asked if I would like to sign in off line and I did agree.  When I opened the shared folder the folders populated and I could see and use the files normally.  When I opened the Dashboard the machine showed as offline.  After removing and reinstalling the machine showed as online and there were no problems with the connector finding the server.  Both of the other machines had no problems connecting and viewing

Bill

Thursday, December 25, 2014 5:37 PM

All replies

• Yes it does work with Windows 10 Preview.  I have Build 9879 running on a desktop and two laptops (I like to play and explore).  I will stress that when you load over the old system you may need to remove the connector and reinstall.  I provided feedback to this issue; however, Have not had a problem since.

What happened was on one of my machines the connector came up and could not find the server and asked if I would like to sign in off line and I did agree.  When I opened the shared folder the folders populated and I could see and use the files normally.  When I opened the Dashboard the machine showed as offline.  After removing and reinstalling the machine showed as online and there were no problems with the connector finding the server.  Both of the other machines had no problems connecting and viewing

Bill

• I don' t know but as it is based on W8.1, I would expect so. Make sure that you have the UEFI Hotfix installed on your server before you try it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Hi,

Please refer to this:

http://www.homeserversoftware.com/lo/whs2011/help/en/lo_overview_release_notes.htm

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Windows 10 Build 9926 (January 2015) broke the client-side software Launchpad.exe.  It errors out when starting, so no Launchpad on a Windows 10 client, unless Microsoft decides to fix it.
    • Edited by Roy Holmes Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Roy Holmes Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:19 AM
  • Windows 10 Build 9926 (January 2015) broke the client-side software Launchpad.exe.  It errors out when starting, so no Launchpad on a Windows 10 client, unless Microsoft decides to fix it.

I really hope this gets fixed. I am really looking forward to getting my Win8 machine on to Win10. I don't really use the Launchpad that often, but it may be a big deal to others.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:29 PM
  • I have been using WHS 2011 with my migrated / upgraded Windows 8.1 -> Windows 10 Technical Preview (now 10041) system.

It was backing up OK (though, as mentioned above, I had to reinstall the connector to get it working properly).

The Alerts do not dismiss well out of the Notifications feature of Windows 10 (this feedback is in the Windows 10 Feedback app - please upvote that). I end up having to Mute the notifications for hours (as this PC is a "Media Center" type PC - even though that's dead now).

Problems though...

My Seagate Momentus XT drive went out (again - it's #2).

I barely had a successful backup on WHS 2011, but I was able to restore Windows 10 TP 9926 to a regular spinning drive (a different Seagate drive). Build 9926 restored as expected - like Windows 8.1 has before it.

Then build 10041 showed up. Seagate was busy RMA'ing my drive. I guess.

Being tired of my Momentus XT experiences, I decided I would upgrade this machine to an SSD - which obviously would change a bunch of things (like enabling AHCI - that was a fun trip down amnesia / Registry lane).

But during the restore of 10041 to this new drive from WHS 2011, weird things seemed to be happening:

• The first restore claimed my Registry hives were corrupted (reported during a boot from USB & a "reg load HKLM" operation)
    • I re-backed up, and restored again, and got the new drive to boot (eventually)
    • However this time a few applications like:
    • Bing Desktop
    • Amazon Unbox (the new one)
    • Asus monitoring software (controls fan stuff)
    • Possibly a few others
    • Claim to be "damaged and cannot run" - their install kits are missing (and were apparently in %AppData% somewhere when I try to uninstall them - not C:\Windows\Install where I'd expect to see them)
    • I did a very long "RoboCopy /MIR /L /Log:" operation between the "Users" folders, and there are some horrendously long paths with "Application Data" in them. I mean, they are hundreds and hundreds of characters long.
    • That seemed both odd, and could confuse WHS 2011

I can't explain the registry corruption, but that went away on my second restore.

I'm wondering if Windows 10 is changing where some of these files are kept and WHS 2011 may be skipping some previously unimportant locations? Like nuking the Temp folders in the backup?

And now, this temporary drive I was using is about to die.

So that's fun!

I can repair those apps, and there will be a new Windows 10 TP soon. I just thought I would share some unexpected behavior and let someone smarter than me figure out if Windows 10 is fundamentally changing something that WHS 2011 would need to include in its backup routine in order to reconstitute a system.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:30 PM
  • For you guys who have installed the connector.  Try to open/restore files or folders.  It seems to fail on my Win10 100xx whatever.  Though I can open the win10 backups from a win 8 box

Grey

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:03 AM
  • I have two clients running Windows 10 Technical Preview build 10130. A Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro convertible, and a Lenovo ThinkPad 10.

Both clients are being backed up successfully to WHS 2011.

However, only one client is able to open up backups to restore files and folders. The ThinkPad 10 works, while the Yoga 3 Pro gives an immediate error: "The restore process did not succeed".

That's a bit worrying. If I can't depend on being able to restore files and folders to Windows 10 systems, then either I can't upgrade to Windows 10, or I have to find an alternative to WHS 2011...

Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:52 PM
  • can you open the yoga backups from the thinkpad?  As is t the backups or the yoga

Grey

Monday, June 29, 2015 12:21 AM
  • can you open the yoga backups from the thinkpad?  As is t the backups or the yoga

Grey

Good suggestion. The Dashboard running on the ThinkPad 10 tablet can open backups for any PC client (both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 machines), but the dashboard on the Yoga 3 Pro fails with all of them. Perhaps the next step is to try removing and reinstalling the WHS connector on the Yoga to see what effect that will have.
    Monday, June 29, 2015 6:45 AM
  • OK, removed/reinstalled the Connector, and now the Yoga 3 Pro can also open backups. So it would seem to have been some sort of misconfiguration issue. That's a relief, but still slightly worrying.
    Monday, June 29, 2015 7:48 AM
  • When win 10 upgrades the connector does not "carry over" very well.  But even fresh installs of the connector seem to take 2 tries to take.

Grey

Monday, June 29, 2015 11:22 AM
  • WHS 2011  fully patched/updated with EFI hotfixes - created restore USB thumb drive at server.

Client PC Dell studio Core2 Quad with 4 Gb of Ram and 750GB disk drive. 1G  on motherboard Enet (realtek) on Windows 10Pro Insider Preview Build 10166 32 bit.

I have successfully Backed up to and restored from my  WHS2011 server < > to my Dell Client desktop  - with two caveats:

At the Client PC > I used MS Edge ( IE replacement) -  connected to the server and downloaded the Connector Software.

At the Client PC > I executed the ComputerConnector(server IP Address) software and received an error message at step two indicating that the Machine was waiting for a app to close so it could reboot......   I rebooted normally( shutdown and power on) and tried again with the same problem.   // I did a cold shutdown ( pushed and held the power button until it powered off)     ---- I powered it on and it came back up slower than usual   ~  55 seconds ( It did not use the Disk Cached boot file/sequence) ...
           *****   I tried again and the Connector software installed  on the client PC  without a hitch.........**** I then did a normal restart of the client PC.

At the WHS2011 server > I went into the dashboard and then to Computers and Backup section and found the new connected PC/client  (windows 10 Pro preview). I did a backup of the Win10 Pro preview client with out any problems.

At the Client PC > I copied onto the recovery USB thumb drive ( previously created) the Drivers for Full System Recovery from the server ( this has amongst others, the NIC driver of the client PC needed for restore. )  This is done the same way with previous client OS's  using WHS2011 procedures. 

I  formatted the client hard drive partitions to be assured that when a restore was done that I was truly restoring a fresh coat of paint on a bare wall ( you know what I mean) . I used a windows 8.1 cd to do the formatting under recovery tools - 2 hrs  -- This step is really not needed .

I made sure the disk  OS software was fried -  I tried to reboot and black screen , bouncing curser.  - Now the Restore...

I booted the PC ( F12) from the recovery USB thumb drive. The recovery process starts up .

The only non normal twist  here is that you have to go into manage the Hard drive Partitions manually ( I believe its like step 4) - match up C: to C:  --  D: to D: etc...
    // I have had to do this with some Clients PC's before with client OS win7 and 8.1//

45 minutes latter the Screen says its complete and a reboot is asked for.

One to two minutes later the Client PC is up and running as it did before step one........

So far it looks good - just a couple of bumps in the road - --- These are the bumps I found  - there may be more you may find  -  for me - not show stoppers - just a little bit of annoyance

Saturday, July 11, 2015 3:18 AM
  • So I have upgraded my "media" pc to windows 10 this past week from windows 7.  I had to reinstall the WHS 2011 connector as suggested but I am able to see the pc in the dashboard as well as rdp to it remotely via the web portal.  I don't use WHS for backups currently.  I use it as a secondary way to rdp into my network and for streaming music.  (I actually have it running as a VM on server 2012 R2).  Anyway as stated above the Launchpad.exe is not working.  Was this fixed in later builds or do you guys still have issues with the lauchpad?  I don't really use it but it is annoying to have it not work.  This article posted below leads me to believe it can work since if you look at the screenshot there is the Launchpad icon on the taskbar. 

launchpad working?

Thoughts?

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 3:58 PM
  • Launchpad.exe is working here on all five of my machines that have been upgraded to the release version of Windows 10. All machines have Launchpad set to run when Windows 10 starts up,
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:10 PM
  • So I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times with reboots in between.  The Launchpad still hasn't come up and won't launch.  Is it time to do a clean install?
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:39 PM
  • Add me to the list of WHS 2011 connector issues...

I just upgraded one of my pc's to win10 from win7 and I have the same issue where Launchpad shows the server offline. I tried all web suggestion tricks and the only thing that worked was manually starting all the server processes.  This worked..until I rebooted. I did the delay start route but that didn't work. Removing the client or re-installing the connector provided no joy....

Not sure if it is network related as I also have an issue with the Ethernet dropping that wasn't there with win7, but that another story...

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:13 PM
  • Don't even consider buying a 2016 home server as they aren't compatible with windows 10. Also when they get that fixed are they offering a upgrade to windows server 16. and what features does the 2016 have that the 2011 doesn't have. Don't hold your breath i tried to reinstall windows 7 ultimate 64 to get a fresh copy before upgrading before all the problems . My computer is 5 years old and when trying to reinstall windows i was told in an error message that my software was too new and Windows couldn't couldn't allow me to upgrade my windows 7  x64.
    Friday, January 15, 2016 9:04 AM