WHS Motherboard Failure RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS motherboard failed. It had two disks with the operating system installed on one disk. I found an old pc that could support one SATA drive. I tried installing each disk and found the operating system on the second try. Unfortunately it required me to activate the software again and I did not call Microsoft because I would like to make sure that I can get my data off the drives before I purchase a new pc to house the drives. Is there someway I can connect the drives (either one) to my PC running Windows 7 and copy the data? If not, and I purchase a new pc what steps do I need to do to make sure I can get my data. Help, I am not really familiar with this technical stuff
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:47 AM

Answers

• My WHS motherboard failed. It had two disks with the operating system installed on one disk. I found an old pc that could support one SATA drive. I tried installing each disk and found the operating system on the second try. Unfortunately it required me to activate the software again and I did not call Microsoft because I would like to make sure that I can get my data off the drives before I purchase a new pc to house the drives. Is there someway I can connect the drives (either one) to my PC running Windows 7 and copy the data?

Yes.  See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure.  However, ideally what you would want to do is connect both drives to the new motherboard and do a Server Reinstallation (and even that may not be necessary if the old and new mobos are similar enough).  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details on how to do that (even though it's not your situation, the steps are the same).

If not, and I purchase a new pc what steps do I need to do to make sure I can get my data. Help, I am not really familiar with this technical stuff

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:48 AM