Can't connect via Server Console or Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I found this forum about a month or so ago and really enjoyed reading over the different issues and was always happy that none of them ever happened to me.  Well, that changed last night.

Prior to last night, I was able to connect to my home server by the server console or the remote desktop from any of the 4 computers and never had any problems.  I can still access the shares and add/delete/move data within those shares but when I try to connect to the server, it says the server is not available.  I first thought it might be the computer I was using so I tried another and then another and got the same results.  I finally hooked my home server up to a monitor in hopes of there being something obvious that was causing the problem but that wasn't the case and it booted up without a problem. 

When I log on locally to the home server, I use the administrator account and password just like I did in server console or remote desktop.  Since I wasn't connecting to the server via console or remote, I tried to reinstall the connector software but it came back and said it didn't see the server.  The only thing that changed was the updates I downloaded last night from MS.

Suggestions???

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:12 PM

Answers

• After reading of your pain I then went to my WHS via remote and saw the update waiting to be installed.  As you can tell, I have them downloaded but not installed.  Attached was a KB article describing the only true update.  It sounds like it may play a role in your problems so thought I would post it here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:38 PM

All replies

• How did you download the updates?  Through the Console or through Internet Explorer?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:37 PM
  •  

The updates were done through the console for the home server (I had actually forgotten about those and initially meant the updates to the 4 other computer and not the home server).  The updates to the computers were done first and then I noticed that I couldn't connect via console or remote from any of the computers so I logged on locally to the home server and downloaded the updates for the server.  After rebooting all computers (server included), I still couldn't connect via console or remote.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:26 AM
  • Ok, here is a little more information.  I tried loading the connector software again on one pc (which is running XP home edition and previously connected via console or remote) and it's still not working.  I tried loading from the CD and then from the updated software on the software home server share and got the same results.  This last time I ran it, event viewer gave met:

Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.

And then it hangs and has to be closed in task manager so event viewer gives me:

Hanging application msiexec.exe, version 3.1.4000.1823, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

the "Server ID" message comes up whether the firewall software is running or not.  The most frustrating part is this all worked fine a few days ago.

Suggestions???

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:20 AM
  • I'm starting to feel alone here.  :-)

I've made some progress and since this might help someone else, here's what I got:

I tried to ping the server with the name and the ip address that came back was not in my subnet.  It wasn't even close.  I checked the ip address locally on the server and it was what it should be and was in the same subnet but, for some reason, when I pinged the name, a strange ip address replied for the server's name.  I unplugged my switch from the router and tried to ping the name again and the ip address came back correct this time.  I don't have any other device on my network named the same as my home server and the ip address that is replying when the router is plugged in isn't one of mine so what's the easiest way to fix this?  I'd rather not go to each computer and edit the hosts file (since that seems like more of a patch than a fix) so, if I renamed the server to something else, would that take care of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:12 AM
  • Are you, by any chance, using OpenDNS? It's known to cause issues with Windows Home Server.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:26 PM
  • I had to look it up to see what OpenDNS was but, no, I am not using it.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:03 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem (glad that I am not the only one).  I have a simple set up.  A WHS, one vista pc and one xp pc.  Everything was running smoothly, I set up the WHS and network at a house that I was house sitting for a couple of weeks.  Then I unplug everything and go back home and set up the network (server and all) and now it does not work!  Both client PCs can access the shared folders, but can not remote desktop or use the WHS connector software.  I tried reinstalling the WHS connector client on the Vista pc, but after it finds the Server and I enter the password, it says that it can not connect.  I downloaded the WHS tookit and ran it.  The results stated that I would most likely have to reinstall the WHS operating system and I did, still have the same issue.  I can't connect via console or remote desktop, but I can see the network drives ok.  Does anyone know how to solve this issue?  I have put about 12 hours into fixing this and all that I have is blood shot eyes and a girlfriend that is starting to think I am neglecting her.

Thanks in advance!

jvk

Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:52 PM
  • I've experienced the same problem. Mine is a simple setup as well. A WHS, one Vista Ultimate PC and one Vista Home Premium laptop. Everything was working fine and now nothing works. First I attempted a Server Reinstallation and that didn't work. Then I tried New Installation to see if that would solve the problem and it didn't work either. The only place that I can see the Shares is in Windows Explorer. When I try to install the connector software (either from the CD or via the Shared Software folder, it gets as far as entering the password (which tells me it in fact did find the server and apparently made some type of connection to it) and then comes back with the message that it can't connect and the same thing happens with Remote Desktop. I ran the WHS toolkit and submitted the error report via the tool included with it. The CAB number is 453277213.

Since the WHS was set on Automatic updates I can only presume that it downloaded and installed some update that basically crippled WHS. I saw somewhere that there was a problem with the .NET 2.0 SP1 that caused some serious problems but I checked the error logs and now all the services seem to be starting as they should. It was bad enough I had to waste the entire week transferring what turned out to be a bunch of corrupted files (yet another WHS bug that was reported by me during the beta testing but was apparently ignored and closed since it wasn't "reproduceable") to an external drive on my PC just to try and save what I could before doing the New Installation of WHS just to have things remain the same despite a week of trying to get it all to work again. What did Microsoft do this time that suddenly caused WHS to stop working overnight? Once again Automatic Updates causes more problems than it should.

Please tell me that there is a solution to this serious problem.

Thanks in advance

Kolohe Wiz

Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:24 PM
  • The only way I could get around the issue was to assign a static IP to the WHS and then add the name and IP to the hosts file.  I only had to change the host file on one pc though instead of all of them.  Prior to the updates, things were fine for me as well.  Try to ping your home server and see what IP address you get back. 

Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:30 PM
  • I started having this problem this morning also.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 12:21 AM
  •  oldguy1 wrote:
    I started having this problem this morning also.

I'm not sure if I have the same issue BUT things have been fine until the last set of Auto Updates on the server.  In my case, the QSM service will not run and that means the Console will not start at all. 

I have posted my details yesterday on this thread.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3008552&SiteID=50

I am really not looking forward to re-installing yet again.  I have over 250 GB of real data.  I do have it backed up outside of the WHS.

I hope the recent updates have had some impact and that a recovery strategy can be found.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:02 AM
  • I am (and have been since December) having the same issue.  Everynight WHS goes offline.  I reboot the server and it's fine again, until the following morning.  I recently changed network cards, changed the network to wake on LAN, have set all the hibernation, sleep, etc.  to disabled.  This is probably irrelavent, but, when WHS is in this offline state, there is no HDD activitly LED going on.  Yeah, I know that is not very scientific, but the HDD LED is blinking most of the time, so most mornings I can just look at the WHS box and if the LED is not blinking, I know it's offline, and sure enough, when I look at my Conector icon on my desktop, it is grayed out.

I have on occasion waited 3 days for Home Connector to reconnect, but it won't.  I do a hard reboot and I can connect again.

IS there a log file I can send so someone can have a look at it?  My data is fine, but rebooting the server everyday is a royal pain in the a$$.

My situation is more troubling because I have to physically hook up a monitor (I yank the monitor from my desktop, and plug it into the server sitting next to it before rebooting) for WHS to boot.  Still haven't figured out why that is the case, but it's still not the most pressing issue. 

Sunday, March 16, 2008 12:17 PM
  • After reading of your pain I then went to my WHS via remote and saw the update waiting to be installed.  As you can tell, I have them downloaded but not installed.  Attached was a KB article describing the only true update.  It sounds like it may play a role in your problems so thought I would post it here:
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 1:38 PM
  •  oldguy1 wrote:
    I started having this problem this morning also.

Mine just started working again out of the blue.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 4:21 PM
  •  JJJMMM wrote:
    After reading of your pain I then went to my WHS via remote and saw the update waiting to be installed.  As you can tell, I have them downloaded but not installed.  Attached was a KB article describing the only true update.  It sounds like it may play a role in your problems so thought I would post it here:

I went in and disabled the TCP Offload setting to disabled in the card adapter.  We'll see if this has any effect at all...I'm not hopeful, but my wife's laptop is Vista, so this seems to have some merit.  Although, I looked in the Add/Remove Programs with updates and I already have the Hotfix that is supposed to fix this issue.

I don't see how anyone can truly figure out the cause without looking at a log file.  No one has asked for one.  Until then, I think we are just guessing.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 4:42 PM
  • When I ping server I get some strange IP address (24.28.193.9) that is apparently for Road Runner (my ISP) somewhere on the mainland around Washington, D.C. based on the information I get when tracing it with Visual Trace. However, when I ping the home network address (192.168.2.2) it works fine.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Changing the IP-address of my WHS started a problem where some of my PC's could no longer find the WHS, but others could. Pinging the server from the failing-computers returned the OLD IP-address.

After I added the address to my hosts-file...

192.168.0.x     whs.mshome.net

...solved the problem for those computers and now all have connection.

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Same here, I also have road runner and am having the exact same problem where my local machines are being resolved to 24.28.193.9.  Could this even be a MS update causing this?  It seems to be a DNS problem.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 8:13 PM
  •  Thanks for the help! Of course, I can't help but wonder about the poor "everyday users" that shelled out the $$$ for the HP Server and have no idea what or where the host file is located or how to open/update it especially if they're running Vista.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:07 PM
  • The most common issue for networks is usually caused by a bad switch/router or old firmware.  It's also possible for Network card drivers to be bad or receive a faulty update.

What is the error you see when you log into your home server through Remote Desktop?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:57 PM
  •  legierk wrote:

JJJMMM wrote:
    After reading of your pain I then went to my WHS via remote and saw the update waiting to be installed.  As you can tell, I have them downloaded but not installed.  Attached was a KB article describing the only true update.  It sounds like it may play a role in your problems so thought I would post it here:

I went in and disabled the TCP Offload setting to disabled in the card adapter.  We'll see if this has any effect at all...I'm not hopeful, but my wife's laptop is Vista, so this seems to have some merit.  Although, I looked in the Add/Remove Programs with updates and I already have the Hotfix that is supposed to fix this issue.

I don't see how anyone can truly figure out the cause without looking at a log file.  No one has asked for one.  Until then, I think we are just guessing.

It's been what....4 days?  My WHS hasn't lost the connection yet.  I'm not getting overly excited though, because it has stayed connected this long before.  But so far, the trick above may have worked.  It's very pleasant to not have to reboot my server everyday.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:34 PM
  • I don't normally do any kind of message boards, but had to post this time because I have fought this problem for weeks with my WHS, and this fix worked immediately, and I hope to save someone else some time.  I also have the WHS set to a static IP address, so I can't guarantee this is the fix in any other situation, but it worked miraculously for me.

Just in case I'm not the only one who didn't quite understand the procedures and had to figure out how to apply this fix, here is what I did.  (Using Vista 64 - I assume it will work the same with any version of Vista)  I opened "Computer" on the Desktop.  Go to 

%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc.  In that folder you will see a hosts file.  Open it in Notepad.  At the bottom of the file, type in the static IP address of your WHS.  Save the file.  Now when you use the WHS Console, it connects instantly.

Thank you so much Lemming!

mama

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:58 AM
  •  Lemming wrote:

Changing the IP-address of my WHS started a problem where some of my PC's could no longer find the WHS, but others could. Pinging the server from the failing-computers returned the OLD IP-address.

After I added the address to my hosts-file...

192.168.0.x     whs.mshome.net

...solved the problem for those computers and now all have connection.

Sorry all, don't know how to do this.  But, wanted you to know which fix I was talking about.  Hopefully, this post will quote Lemming's post.

mama

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:03 AM
  • So I also have Road Runner internet service.  If you recall, I set up my network at a different location where I was house sitting and where they subscribed to DSL Service.  I set up the Network, everything worked fine, I brought it home and now it doesn’t work.

I just pinged by server (named server) and it came back with the same funky IP address that was mentioned earlier in this post.  I then (in Vista) Clicked Start>Network, and a list of my network devices populated.  I clicked on “server” which usually opens a welcome page that is hosted by WHS, but instead I was redirected to a Road Runner search page, here is the address…

http://ww23.rr.com/index.php?origURL=http://server

This got me thinking that all of my communication to the server was being redirected to this search page.  So to test it, I unplugged the internet cable from the router to disable the internet, and then pinged my server.  It came back with correct results (192.168.2.2), next I tried my WHS consol, and it works!!!

Now my only problem is getting the internet and my WHS Consol to work at the same time since the two are now mutually exclusive.

Any thought?

Thanks for reading,

jvk

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:02 AM
  • This thread seems to be about many varying issues.  At any rate, my WHS is still sporadically losing it's connection to the network. 

Can someone walk me through setting up a static IP for WHS?  My router is a Trendnet TEW-633GR.  Thanks.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 12:17 PM
  • I was having the same problem with my server, though I'm not using WHS; the problem is definitely with roadrunner.  I stumbled upon this thread doing a search for "24.28.193.9" hoping someone would know what is going on.  I don't know how it started but all of the sudden, my server machine named SERVER stopped letting me remote into it.  I also have not been able to access public shares on it.  I think I have a solution though.  I went to http://24.28.193.9/ and clicked the link at the very bottom of the page that says "Opt in or opt-out of this service", then I selected the disable option.  After that, I rebooted my server machine and it now finally has the correct IP address; its not being assigned 24.28.193.9 anymore.  So I can now finally remote into it, though I still am not able to access my shares, though I guess that is because of some other problem.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:26 AM
  • This is clearly a DNS problem created by Road Runner. As Evok pointed out, you need to visit http://24.28.193.9/ and disable the service. However, that alone won't fix the problem.

You could use the HOSTS file as mention above, but that's a bad fix since it requires maintenance and is easily forgotten about by non-IT professionals.

To fix this DNS issue; First, if not already static, assign a static IP on your local network to your Home Server. If unsure of how to do this google "assign static ip" or call your usual guru.

Next, logon to your home router and make note of your current settings for DNS servers.

Now, for my router (DLink DIR-655) I had to choose manual configuration of Internet settings > then enter my original PRIMARY DNS server IP of 65.24.7.10 then change the SECONDARY DNS server to 192.168.1.10 (my Home Server's static IP I assigned earlier) > Save Settings > Reboot Router

It should all work fine now.

If not, from the command prompt type: ipconfig -flushdns [now hit return key] then type ipconfig -registerdns [hit return key] does it work now?

Regards,

Jim

Monday, May 26, 2008 5:36 PM