Console Password issue. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS here at my house and it works great. I installed one at my in laws house and it is acting weird. After installing the Connector software and using the correct password to not only join the pcs (2 of them Vista home premium) to the server it now comes up with incorrect password everytime from the PC's. However if I go to the actual server (build from spare pc with keyboard and monitor) I log on using the password and it logs right in. Also the same thing happens when trying to use RDP to connect.

One other thing too, I have a VPN tunnel (two VPN Routers) going between my in laws and myself and I can not see the shares of their WHS. Until today it used to be a WindowsXP PC but it fried after 7 long years, therefore I replaced it with the WHS for its automated backup capability. However I do need to be able to work off of their PC (WHS) share and update commonly used XLS files.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:43 AM

Answers

• I saw Olaf's thread about Nvidia Video driver and installed one directly from Nvidia which seems to have fixed the issue. RDP works fine, Console works fine. etc...

Thank you both for your help.
    • Marked as answer by Dietmar P Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:32 PM

All replies

• I have a WHS here at my house and it works great. I installed one at my in laws house and it is acting weird. After installing the Connector software and using the correct password to not only join the pcs (2 of them Vista home premium) to the server it now comes up with incorrect password everytime from the PC's. However if I go to the actual server (build from spare pc with keyboard and monitor) I log on using the password and it logs right in. Also the same thing happens when trying to use RDP to connect.

When you say the "same thing happens when trying to use RDP", do you mean RDP does work or it doesn't?  (It's hard to tell which one you mean since you mentioned working and not working in your first paragraph.)

One other thing too, I have a VPN tunnel (two VPN Routers) going between my in laws and myself and I can not see the shares of their WHS. Until today it used to be a WindowsXP PC but it fried after 7 long years, therefore I replaced it with the WHS for its automated backup capability. However I do need to be able to work off of their PC (WHS) share and update commonly used XLS files.
    Did you try disabling the VPN tunnel to see if it fixes their Console issue?  Are you able to open the Console on your server from your clients with the VPN tunnel running?
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Did you install anything on your server, which is not part of it? Could you check the event logs of the server for error messages?
    I have seen such behavior, as DCOM permissions for a WHS module went wild. Also a change in the ASP.NET version in Internet Information Services on the server may cause authentication issues. (Should be set to version 2.x for all the WHS related stuff.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 9:07 PM
  • In your remote access settings, have you set the user name and passowrd correctly?
    I tried logging on as an administrator from remote and couldnt. I could log on as a standard user.
    I didnt set administrator account to have remote access, daft I know but that was the solution for me.
    The local password for the admin worked fine locally.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 3:19 AM
  • In your remote access settings, have you set the user name and passowrd correctly?

That has no relation to his problem.

I tried logging on as an administrator from remote and couldnt. I could log on as a standard user.

Both of those are normal behavior.

I didnt set administrator account to have remote access, daft I know but that was the solution for me.
    The local password for the admin worked fine locally.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:07 AM
  • I saw Olaf's thread about Nvidia Video driver and installed one directly from Nvidia which seems to have fixed the issue. RDP works fine, Console works fine. etc...

Thank you both for your help.
    • Marked as answer by Dietmar P Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:32 PM