Uninstalling broke Remote Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows XP laptop with OneCare installed, I spend a lot of time remote connecting to my work desktop via VPN which runs Vista Ultimate x64. All has been fine, several times a day I have been connecting without a problem ... until I uninstalled OneCare, after the reboot I could no longer remote connect to my work PC.

However, I can remote desktop to any of the other Work machines and Servers running many different versions of Windows, 2003, 2000, XP, but neither the two Vista x64's.

Also odd is that I can no longer connect using the machine names, I have to use their IP addresses instead.

Please help, I have not found anything googling this.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:45 PM

Answers

• I can't imagine why the removal of OneCare would break remote desktop to some PCs, but not others. Check your Windows Firewall settings to verify that Remote Desktop is allowed. On the target machines, check that Remote Desktop inbound is allowed. And, if you are connecting from an XP machine, you need to select the option on the Vista machine to allow earlier versions of RD to connect.
    You may also want to consider reinstalling your VPN software if it is a 3rd party product. VPN software and OneCare will both make changes to the network stack, so removal of OneCare may have changed the stack in a manner that the VPN software can't deal with properly.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:38 PM

All replies

• I can't imagine why the removal of OneCare would break remote desktop to some PCs, but not others. Check your Windows Firewall settings to verify that Remote Desktop is allowed. On the target machines, check that Remote Desktop inbound is allowed. And, if you are connecting from an XP machine, you need to select the option on the Vista machine to allow earlier versions of RD to connect.
    You may also want to consider reinstalling your VPN software if it is a 3rd party product. VPN software and OneCare will both make changes to the network stack, so removal of OneCare may have changed the stack in a manner that the VPN software can't deal with properly.

-steve

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:38 PM
  •   The VPN connection is the plain Microsoft Network Connection option, connecting directly to the router in the office ... no special software or anything. Firewall has remote desktop enabled, but this would have stopped me connecting to other machines. I dont run any odd software or other security products, they are just a royal pain in resources and problems.

Remote Desktop on my Vista desktop is enabled as i can connect to it from my other work machines. For example: I have remote desktopped to one of my servers running Windows 2003 and from there I remote desktopped to my Vista desktop fine. I just cant connect from here straight to the Vista desktop.

If the stack has been changed, how do I set it back to something that will work.

But just to verify, where is the option to "select the option on the Vista machine to allow earlier versions of RD to connect"?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Just checked, I have the option for "any version of remote desktop can connect (less secure)" already set on my Vista machine.    
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:05 PM
  • As I indicated, I have never heard of the removal of OneCare causing this issue. I also agree that it is quite strange that you can successfully use Remote Desktop to some machines and not others. I agree that the firewall settings would block *all* RD activity.
    The best that I can offer is that you may want to try running the OneCare cleanup tool just to be sure that things are set back to pre-OneCare settings and services.

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

I won't bother suggesting to contact support as that will likely be futile in this case.

-steve

Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:44 PM
  • I have already run the cleanup tool. Oh well, looks like a reinstall of Windows is needed then. Gr8. Thanks for your help.    
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:21 PM
  • I'm not sure that I was much help if you are faced with a Windows reinstall. :-( It is an odd issue, for sure. Do let me know if the problem is resolved with the reinstall.

-steve

Friday, February 27, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Oh well, a complete reinstall didnt work. God knows whats changed or broken, perhaps coincidently at the same time, my Vista machine got a Windows Update that bust it. Im stumped and annoyed that something that has worked for years is now completely bust, sorry to blame OneCare.    
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:46 PM
  •  Speculating about the cause is certainly normal. You need to rule things out when troubleshooting. Good luck in trying to get it to work again completely.
    -steve
    Monday, March 2, 2009 8:17 PM