none
Restoring Folder pairs after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I read on some thread that we can backup & restore SyncToyBinPairs.bin before & after OS reinstall to preserve folder pairs.

However, I would be migrating from Vista to Windows 7 in the next few days. Can I restore Vista SyncToyBinPairs.bin file on Windows 7?? If yes, where should I copy SyncToyBinPairs.bin file on Windows 7?

Also, should I expect SyncToy to sync the existing folder pairs correctly on Windows 7 that I have synced on Vista??

Lastly, I have forgotten to take this file backup on one of my machines, and formatted it's OS partition. Now, if I again create the same folder pairs in SyncToy that existed before the format, would the toy pick up the files correctly since last sync??
    Friday, October 2, 2009 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hi -

In any kind of migration scenario you have above - it would have been best to make sure all the folder pairs are in sync - then migrate and then do an initial sync with no changes.

You should restore the file to the same location on Win7 that you did on Vista.

Yes SyncToy will sync the existing folder pairs correctly on Windows7 like it did it on Vista. If you have reimaged the box, be prepared for it to tell you however that it finds that these two folders have never been sync'ed before and it needs to start all over again.

In case of the forgottoen file backup - it just means that SyncToy will start completely afresh. So depending on what Sync option you have configured - it will pick up any changes from the correct side.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:53 PM