Adding other PCs to Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I have windows home server, and I have created user names for all my family. 

When I go to connect the PCs it requires that I install WHS Connector software, and therefore, use the Admin password.

I don't really want them all to have the WHS admin console, although I can just ask them not to use it, this isn't really the idea of having an administrator.  I want them to only access their profiles, i.e. the ones connected to their user names.

How do I do this?

Also I have installed the WHS connector software on my dads computer, realised the issue, uninstalled the software, and now I can't get his computer to sign out of WHS, i.e. if he navigates to \\my-server\ he still gets into access all parts of the server, including my/the rest of the family's files which I don't want him to access.  Is there a way to sign his computer out?  I have deleted his profile and computer but it appears not to have worked, obviously he's signed in as the administrator anyway.

I still want the PCs to be backed up every night/week whatever.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, August 30, 2010 5:26 PM software question (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:01 PM

All replies

• You need the connector installed if the computer is to back up to your server. Entering the server's console password allows the connector to "join" the server as a client, but doesn't give a user of that computer access to the console (unless they know that password as well).

As for the security issue you describe: is the Guest account enabled on your server? With what permissions?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Hi Ken, thanks for taking the time to try and help me it is appreciated.

Ok I will install the connector software.  I did enter the other password for only my dad as a user but it wouldn't accept it.  I think what you're saying is put in the adminstrator password during the connector installation, and then don't worry as he can't use the console without the password.

With regards to the security issue.  It's probably because I entered in the admin password to test it initially, I have got guest turned off.  However, I now want the PC to sign out, so I can enter in the password that I've assigned for this user.

Any ideas?

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Ah I see.  Sorry false alarm.  They can see the other folders but not access them.  Still in my eyes a security issue as they can work out the user name but as it's only my family I'm not worried.

Cheers for all your help.

Monday, August 30, 2010 6:40 PM