Upgrade from Windows Home Server to Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a Acer easyStore H340 Server - at the moment I am currently running Windows Home Server (v1 - SP2) and I think Windows Home Server (v1 - SP2) doesn't suite me, I like the Windows Home Server 2011 better with the Windows 7 style and a new designed Dashboard.

I am asking if it's possible to upgrade my Acer easyStore H340 up to Windows Home Server 2011?

I have the following Specifications which it's displayed below!

Operating System: Windows Home Server (Service Pack 2)

Processor: Intel Atom Processor 230

Memory: 2GB DDR2

Hard Drive: 3.5 SATA 3TB

RAM: 1.99GB

Thank you for reading!

Regards, ~Benjamin Hall

Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:26 PM

Answers

• You certainly can't upgrade as Microsoft has never supported going from a 32-bit OS (WHS) to 64-bit (WHS2011). You may be able to install from scratch but I prefer to install on machines with a graphics card!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, September 29, 2014 2:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 6, 2014 12:28 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:38 AM
  • Benjamin,

I own 4 of the Acer H340 series machines, and you can indeed load WHS 2011 on the box.  Now as Phil says, since the box is headless it will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish without being able to see what you are doing.  That being said, there is a solution to this problem.  If you follow this url to the MediaSmart Server Net forums, you will find exactly what you need to succeed.  The device allows you to attach a VGA monitor to your box, you can attach KB and mouse via USB and away you go. Here is the  URL: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066  

I just checked, the items are still available from VOV Technology. 

As always, perplexed by Windows

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 6, 2014 12:29 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Boot from the installation DVD and follow the instructions. Make sure that you back up your data first.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:21 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 12:57 AM

All replies

• You certainly can't upgrade as Microsoft has never supported going from a 32-bit OS (WHS) to 64-bit (WHS2011). You may be able to install from scratch but I prefer to install on machines with a graphics card!

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, September 29, 2014 2:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 6, 2014 12:28 PM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:38 AM
  • I thought Intel Atom is something like a graphics card?

Regards, ~Benjamin Hall

Sunday, September 28, 2014 8:56 AM
  • No, that's your processor! A very under powered one at that.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, September 29, 2014 2:39 AM
    Sunday, September 28, 2014 10:56 AM
  • Benjamin,

I own 4 of the Acer H340 series machines, and you can indeed load WHS 2011 on the box.  Now as Phil says, since the box is headless it will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish without being able to see what you are doing.  That being said, there is a solution to this problem.  If you follow this url to the MediaSmart Server Net forums, you will find exactly what you need to succeed.  The device allows you to attach a VGA monitor to your box, you can attach KB and mouse via USB and away you go. Here is the  URL: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066  

I just checked, the items are still available from VOV Technology. 

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 6, 2014 12:29 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Hi, Ben. I have the Keyboard and mouse plugged in and also the VGA. So, what do I need to do now?

Regards, ~Benjamin Hall

Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:28 PM
  • Boot from the installation DVD and follow the instructions. Make sure that you back up your data first.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:21 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 12:57 AM
  • Just curious here, what are you using for a VGA connection?  There are three options that I know of: connection to the built-in debug connector; a USB-to VGA converter or install a PCI X1 video card in the only PCI expansion slot. 

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:26 PM