WTF?! - Disc duplicated in Storage menu - HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm down on disc space because WHS keeps eating my drives, and inevitably while I don't have any space, another issue has occurred.

I think the image probably says it all:

NB - Don't images work?!  You can see it at: http://domestic1.sjc.ox.ac.uk/~dbates/whs.jpg

One of my storage drives has disappeared from the pool, but WHS sees it as a new drive! I've lost a bunch of unduplicated files with this change.

Can anyone suggest what has happened, and what my next step should be?! I tried rebooting and it stayed like this. I really would like to save the data if at all possible. My other drive should be back from RMA today, so I should have 500gb of storage space to spread out in for this exercise.

(Note, looks like this might be the FIFTH drive I've lost to WHS in just over twelve months )
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:20 AM

All replies

• Well its hard to say without looking at your logs, but it could be something like a faulty or lose cable on your drive? It could be a problem with the power supply not being powerful enough to run everything. Or it could just be you have bad luck with drives - i kept having problems with Maxtor drives, over and over again! Or it could be something completely different.

Are you running all the correct drivers and you can confirm your hardware is all working correctly? It does seem a little strange to have FIVE drive failures in the same machine in that space of time.

i suggest removing the drive, plugging it into another computer and copying the data off so that you dont lose it.

Andrew

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:20 PM
  • This is what I personally would do in this situation:

1. Shut down WHS, remove the faulty drive and wait for the RMA drive.
      As you are obviously not using duplication for all data, this means loosing files.
    2. Check out the state of the faulty drive and try to salvage any files on it when possible.
      For this you could mount the drive on another PC, copy of files first (if possible) and/or run drive diagnostics.
    3. Ones the RMA drive returns, add it to the pool.

I agree with Andrew that loosing that much drives in such a short period could indicate a problem with the server configuration. You might want to check if the drives are overheating, check the power supply or maybe even replace it with a new one?

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:00 PM
  • I've taken the drive out and put it into my desktop.  When I assigned a drive letter, it said I needed to format the drive to use it, which obviously I don't want to do for fear of losing the data.

I've tried to run R-Studio across it, but it stops responding about half the way through a scan.  I'm going to try some other software now, but does anyone have any suggestions?!

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:28 PM
  • That's strange, as all WHS disks are just standard NTFS formatted disks, so you can read them on any OS. The data might well be in a hidden partition, so you might need to adjust Explorer settings to see it.

Colin

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:44 PM
  • db298

How about the manufacturers site (Western Digital): Data Lifeguard tools / Diagnostics

Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Okay, this is the conclusion of the story...  I put the drive in another PC and hit it with R-Studio, and it kept crashing half-way through.  Then I tried Active@ File Recovery, which found pretty much ALL of my files as far as I can see.  The wierd thing was when I was recovering the data, there were sometimes up to 10 copies of the files, so my 320gb drive spat out well over a terrabyte of data   It would seem something got really screwed with the file table or directory or something.

Anyway, to add insult to injury, after I'd recovered all the data, I reformatted the drive, and now can't find anything wrong with it with WD Diagnostics.

Worth adding that the Data Lifeguard tools don't seem to be compatible with Vista!

So the lesson is, I suppose, duplicate EVERYTHING, or prepare yourself for problems.  That just means I need to invest in another drive or two!
    Monday, June 23, 2008 10:04 PM
  • In addition, I am still thinking about the possible causes to my number of drive failures.

The motherboard I'm using is the K9N-SLI, which I had spare, and had loads of SATA ports on (so although it's a gaming/desktop mobo, it makes a great WHS base).  The southbridge (which I believe handles disc IO) was getting VERY hot, and only has a passive heatsink on.  I've now placed a fast fan against it, and it remains cool.  I guess I just need to wait and see if the next drive falls over!
    Monday, June 23, 2008 10:07 PM