windows advantage kit for XP RRS feed

• Question

• i bought genuine advantage kit from microsoft and i am a computer dummy ! i surf the web alot ! Before i downloaded this i could watch movies in mpg ,wmv,and several other formats i am using internet explorer as my browser and yahoo. is my home page ! Since i downloaded this i can not download and watch any of the formats as mentioned above! What have i done do i need to activate cookies or download something else ! As i say i am computer stupid ! Please somebody help me in step by step instructions ! Thanks dowell_anthony@yahoo
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hello just maybe,

It sounds like you did a clean or repair installation of Windows when you received your genuine Windows CD in the mail.

It's very likely that this installation process erased any special codecs (add-ons to media players that allow them to play all sorts of different audio and video file types) you might have downloaded separately from Windows or Windows Media Player.

Since your issue is not directly related to a WGA problem, our ability to assit you here in this forum is limited.  You can visit general Windows help forums for assistance, or use your favorite search engine to search for help sites that specialize in audio and video playback topics.

Please be careful downloading codecs!  Some "codec packs" purporting to be add-ons that help you play video files are known to really be malicious virus and/or spyware programs.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:52 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:48 PM