Theft, please help! RRS feed

• Question

• I have always loved this software, it works great and always has.  Unfortunately, both my computer and laptop were stolen from my home.  I have gotten a new laptop and downloaded the OneCare free trial.  When I put my E-Mail address (Deleted) in I found that both f my previous computers are still being used by someone with the same version of OneCare on it, and I can see when they are online (Quite depressing).  My question is, is there any way to possibly track the IP address of the computer to give me access to it's current location?  Thanks so much for your assistance, I really appreciate the time!
                                                                                                                          -Byron Moran
    • Edited by JimR1Moderator Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:24 PM Removed e-mail address correctly.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:07 PM

Answers

•   

I'm sorry to read about the theft and hope that you are successful in getting the PC returned to you and the thief apprehended.

With previous people in the forum asking for similar help, we've had mixed results with the following advice.
    The local law enforcement agency with an active case can contact Microsoft and request this information officially. Law enforcement has a special number to call (I do not know this number) and they will need to take care of the legal paperwork to make the request. They will need to know your subscription information, PC name, and other information related to the account and that PC.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:21 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to hear about your computers Byron. I'm fairly sure support can't help with tracking your computers. About the best you can do is make your computer a hub, then remove the stolen computers from your One Care Circle. This should de-activate One Care on the stolen computers.
    Jim
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:22 PM
  •   

I'm sorry to read about the theft and hope that you are successful in getting the PC returned to you and the thief apprehended.

With previous people in the forum asking for similar help, we've had mixed results with the following advice.
    The local law enforcement agency with an active case can contact Microsoft and request this information officially. Law enforcement has a special number to call (I do not know this number) and they will need to take care of the legal paperwork to make the request. They will need to know your subscription information, PC name, and other information related to the account and that PC.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:21 PM