Backup crashes computer when locked (access over VPN) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I initiated a manual backup of my computer, which is connected to my server via Hamachi VPN.  As the backup was occuring over the VPN and would take a long time, when i needed to step away from my computer, I locked it (Vista Ultimate).  Then i tried to log back in when i returned, but it would not log back in.  Right now it is hung up on the "Welcome" screen with the blue circle going around and around.  When I look at the server console from another computer, i can see that in the lower right hand corner it says "Backing Up (Computer name) 100%" but above in the computers tab, it does not show the computer as being backed up any more, yet when i double click the computer, the status is listed as "In Progress".

I am afraid to reboot my computer fearing that the backup will be lost and I will have to do it again.  Is that right?  Is there any way to tell without looking at logs on my computer (which obviously I can't get to without a reboot right now).  It has been at the "welcome" screen for some time now, not responding to ctrl + alt + del.

Do i have any hope of not having to do this again?

thanks
    jpearl
    • Edited by jpearl Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:09 PM update title
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• i figured i would come back here to report back on what happened for future reference.

pretty much, everything worked as it should.  I eventually forced my computer to restart, booted it back up, checked the console, and everything looked normal.  I remoted into another client on the same local network as my server, tried to open the backup, and it succeeded.  so everything with that initial backup turned out to be normal.

as for the nights since then, the server has continued to do nightly backups over the VPN with success each and every time.  the first backup understandably took 42 hours (not including the hang time), but nightly backups have since averaged at half an hour.

So all in all my VPN solution has been working out very well, both on the backup front, and on the shares front (i have perfect windows explorer access to all the shares).  and yes i am aware that this is all unsupported, but it has been working perfectly
    • Marked as answer by jpearl Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I initiated a manual backup of my computer, which is connected to my server via Hamachi VPN.  As the backup was occuring over the VPN and would take a long time, when i needed to step away from my computer, I locked it (Vista Ultimate).  Then i tried to log back in when i returned, but it would not log back in.  Right now it is hung up on the "Welcome" screen with the blue circle going around and around.  When I look at the server console from another computer, i can see that in the lower right hand corner it says "Backing Up (Computer name) 100%" but above in the computers tab, it does not show the computer as being backed up any more, yet when i double click the computer, the status is listed as "In Progress".

I am afraid to reboot my computer fearing that the backup will be lost and I will have to do it again.  Is that right?

I'm sure you already know this, but what you're doing is unsupported.  As for your question, I wouldn't think so, but that's just a guess.  The only way to know for sure would be to try to open the backup.

Is there any way to tell without looking at logs on my computer (which obviously I can't get to without a reboot right now).

If you can logon to another client, you can try opening the backup from there.

It has been at the "welcome" screen for some time now, not responding to ctrl + alt + del.

Do i have any hope of not having to do this again?

thanks
    jpearl
    Considering what you're doing is unsupported, it's hard to say.  You'll probably have to try it yourself and see what happens.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:34 AM
  • i figured i would come back here to report back on what happened for future reference.

pretty much, everything worked as it should.  I eventually forced my computer to restart, booted it back up, checked the console, and everything looked normal.  I remoted into another client on the same local network as my server, tried to open the backup, and it succeeded.  so everything with that initial backup turned out to be normal.

as for the nights since then, the server has continued to do nightly backups over the VPN with success each and every time.  the first backup understandably took 42 hours (not including the hang time), but nightly backups have since averaged at half an hour.

So all in all my VPN solution has been working out very well, both on the backup front, and on the shares front (i have perfect windows explorer access to all the shares).  and yes i am aware that this is all unsupported, but it has been working perfectly
    • Marked as answer by jpearl Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:08 PM