none
Citrix Provisioning for Compute Nodes

Question

• I've got a newly built 2012 R2 HPC cluster. It seems to me that the compute nodes are ideal candidates for Citrix Provisioning Services. My question is - how best to manage the HPC components of the compute node?

Option1: Install and join the cluster, then seal my image - new compute nodes would be provisioned from this image with a new identity and I'm hoping would just need to be added to the cluster through the head node.

Option2: Seal the image before installing the HPC components. I could bake the command to install these components ("setup.exe -unattend -computenode:[headnode]") when the system image is booted with it's new identity. This is probably the most reliable/recommended method I would guess.

I haven't had experience of using the HPC deployment templates/tasks, but I believe they are very much designed around WDS. I was wondering if there was a way to use the deployment tasks - I note that there is a "Install HPC Pack" task - to integrate my compute node provisioning process.

Anyone had any experience of provisioning HPC compute nodes using Citrix Provisioning and can offer advice?

Nick Brown, NPB Consultants Ltd

Monday, July 6, 2015 8:37 AM

All replies

• Both Option1 and Option2 are okay. In both way, it should report itself into the cluster in un-approved state. Then you need to assign a node template to them to complete the provisioning.

The built-in HPC deployment solution is built upon WDS which can help do scale out bare mental deployment (Say hundreds of compute nodes) in short time.

Qiufang Shi

Monday, July 6, 2015 9:46 AM