Log permission denied responses in CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I would like to log when a user fails to log on to CRM due to insufficient permissions or tries to view/edit a record he does not have permission to. Is it possible to log this information? As far as I know, audit is not able to do this, what other options do I have?

Regards,

Adam

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:13 PM

Answers

• I found a solution to obtain this information by inspecting the server event logs. Turned out a log entry is created every time a request to the server returns with permission denied which contains the user ID and the requested page URL.
    • Marked as answer by Adam Borsik Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:39 PM

All replies

• In most cases, the CRM security model prevents users from being able to do any action for which they do not have permission. For example, if a user does not have permission to view a record, they will never see it in a view, so will not be able to open it. Similarly, if a user does not have permission to edit a record, then the record will be opened in read-only mode.

Therefore, there's not really a useful concept of a user trying to do something for which they don't have permission in CRM. If you use CRM OnPremise and enable tracing , then you can get a list of all permissions that a user is not granted, but this will be an excessive amount of data, and is indicative of normal CRM activity, rather than a user deliberately trying to do something they should not be permitted to do

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 11:07 AM
  • I found a solution to obtain this information by inspecting the server event logs. Turned out a log entry is created every time a request to the server returns with permission denied which contains the user ID and the requested page URL.
    • Marked as answer by Adam Borsik Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:39 PM