Validation Problem with Docking Bay RRS feed

• Question

•  When I boot my Thinkpad X60 from its docking bay, Vista reports there has been an equipment change and my version of Vista Premium has not been activated.  When I try to activate, it says the license is already in use and advises I have three days before Vista stops working.

When I boot Thinkpad off of the docking bay, Vista advises I am using a valid version.

This just started about two weeks ago.  Any idea on why this is occuring?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: 0x1
    Cached / Grace status: (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012) / 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6VK34-2RKBP-29JCG
    Windows Product Key Hash: hXEvztSNZozgnkOfGRUKaA6JbRs=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-016-2181655-71994
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003
    ID: {83D56A84-636E-4283-A250-C5112E6341E0}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012) / 0x0 / (N/A, hr = 0xc004f012)
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_ldr.070627-1500
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{83D56A84-636E-4283-A250-C5112E6341E0}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-29JCG</PKey><PID>89578-016-2181655-71994</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2884983506-3348520248-3417010653</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Model>17097HU</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Version>7BETD2WW (2.13 )</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070810000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>31330500018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>1D8D09A16D5206A</Val><Hash>Xa0BqHpG7YLQcmoXEO6yNxDhZSk=</Hash><Pid>70141-053-6016564-56938</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:51 AM

Answers

• Someone from Microsoft support contacted me.  Thus far the following was not helpful.  

I can validate on line, but the laptop still says it is invalid.

Thanks, Phil

------

From the case log, I understand that the system reported there had been an equipment change and the version of Vista Premium had not been activated. When trying to activate it, the system stated the license was already in use. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

The validation issue can be caused by several factors, such as incorrect local system settings or an incorrect Product Key. The troubleshooting process can be time consuming, but please be assured that I will assist you through the course of this case.

Before moving on, please let me know if you have visited the MGA Diagnostic webpage located at the address below:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

On the above website, we can test some system settings and confirm that there are no Internet Explorer (IE) settings or other factors blocking the validation process.

If you have accessed the site but the validation issue persists, I suggest we try the following steps to test this issue:

Step 1: Test the issue in Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search field and press the Enter key to start System Configuration Utility.

Note: System Configuration Utility requires administrative privileges, please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appear.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration when we are finished.  After you have noted the checked items, click "Disable all".

4. Click OK.

After that, please restart the computer and validate the system again to check if the issue still persists.

NOTE: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

Step 2: Run the MGA Diagnostic Tool to troubleshoot this issue

===============================================

1. Please open Internet Explorer and visit the following link to download the MGA Diagnostic Tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. Save the MGADiag.exe file to the Desktop, and then double click on the file to run the tool.

3. Click the “Continue” button.

4. Under the “Windows” tab, click the "Resolve" button if it is highlighted.

5. Restart the computer and visit the following website to validate Windows again.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/Support.aspx?displaylang=en

However, if an error is still encountered when validating Windows, please capture a screenshot for further research:

Screenshot:

=========

1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the Start Button, point to All Programs, point to Accessories and then click Paint.

3. In the Paint program, click the Edit menu, click Paste, click the File menu, and click Save, the "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: screenshot1.

Note: Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box. Save the screenshot file to your Desktop.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Hi Crewsp,

I sent you a mail whith a full explination and resolution, but I am posting the responce to your issue (from our Product Activation team) here so I may mark the thread as resolved.

"The customer’s HD has had a driver update applied to it after activation.  This particular update changed the HWID [Hardware ID] value we calculate for the disk adapter & drive.  So the customer is right on the verge of OOT [Out of Tolerance] before connecting to the docking station.  After the laptop is docked, 2 new cdrom drives are added which is just enough to cause the OOT.

The customer needs to get a phone-override with that product key to reactivate with the updated hard drive signature.  It won’t matter if the laptop is docked or not."

Thanks,

Darin

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Crewsp,

Your issue appears to be related to Product Activation and not a Windows Genuine Advantage Validation issue. So your question is Out of Scope for the Support Forum. 

However, I have contacted a group here that may be able to help. Unfortunetly, if they are unable to help, I will need to direct you to Windows Support (http://support.microsoft.com/)

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:33 PM
  •  

Hi Crewsp,

I just got word from the Product Activation group:

Sounds like the docking station likely has enough additional devices in it to make the system go OOT (out of Tolerance) when docked.

Please have the customer run the supplied diagnostic files, while connected to the docking station, and send us the results.

I already have the HWID info from the initial activation to compare against.

So I need to get you these Diagnostic files to you so you can run them while your computer is docked, but I am unable to post files on the forum. So, would you go to https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=9860&c1=509&x=7&y=12 and create a Service Request and then post the Service Request number in this forum? This way I can communicate with you without you posting your contact information in a public forum.

Thank,

Darin Smith

WGA

Saturday, September 15, 2007 12:21 AM
  • Here is the confirmation number: 1044392216.

Thank you!

Phil

Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:16 AM
  • Hi Crewsp,

Still trying to get your contact information from the support group (I don't yet have access to their service request system) But once I do get the information, I will be sending you the test files and instructions. Please stand by and sorry for the wait.

Thanks,

Darin

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:48 PM
  • Someone from Microsoft support contacted me.  Thus far the following was not helpful.  

I can validate on line, but the laptop still says it is invalid.

Thanks, Phil

------

From the case log, I understand that the system reported there had been an equipment change and the version of Vista Premium had not been activated. When trying to activate it, the system stated the license was already in use. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

The validation issue can be caused by several factors, such as incorrect local system settings or an incorrect Product Key. The troubleshooting process can be time consuming, but please be assured that I will assist you through the course of this case.

Before moving on, please let me know if you have visited the MGA Diagnostic webpage located at the address below:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

On the above website, we can test some system settings and confirm that there are no Internet Explorer (IE) settings or other factors blocking the validation process.

If you have accessed the site but the validation issue persists, I suggest we try the following steps to test this issue:

Step 1: Test the issue in Clean Boot

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search field and press the Enter key to start System Configuration Utility.

Note: System Configuration Utility requires administrative privileges, please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appear.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration when we are finished.  After you have noted the checked items, click "Disable all".

4. Click OK.

After that, please restart the computer and validate the system again to check if the issue still persists.

NOTE: We can check on Normal Startup in the General tab to roll back to Normal Mode after we get this issue resolved.

Step 2: Run the MGA Diagnostic Tool to troubleshoot this issue

===============================================

1. Please open Internet Explorer and visit the following link to download the MGA Diagnostic Tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. Save the MGADiag.exe file to the Desktop, and then double click on the file to run the tool.

3. Click the “Continue” button.

4. Under the “Windows” tab, click the "Resolve" button if it is highlighted.

5. Restart the computer and visit the following website to validate Windows again.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/Support.aspx?displaylang=en

However, if an error is still encountered when validating Windows, please capture a screenshot for further research:

Screenshot:

=========

1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the Start Button, point to All Programs, point to Accessories and then click Paint.

3. In the Paint program, click the Edit menu, click Paste, click the File menu, and click Save, the "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: screenshot1.

Note: Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box. Save the screenshot file to your Desktop.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Hi Crewsp,

I sent you a mail whith a full explination and resolution, but I am posting the responce to your issue (from our Product Activation team) here so I may mark the thread as resolved.

"The customer’s HD has had a driver update applied to it after activation.  This particular update changed the HWID [Hardware ID] value we calculate for the disk adapter & drive.  So the customer is right on the verge of OOT [Out of Tolerance] before connecting to the docking station.  After the laptop is docked, 2 new cdrom drives are added which is just enough to cause the OOT.

The customer needs to get a phone-override with that product key to reactivate with the updated hard drive signature.  It won’t matter if the laptop is docked or not."

Thanks,

Darin

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:57 PM