Moving Large (4-8 gigs) Files Between Shares? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm consolidating my recorded TV programs into the built-in "Recorded TV" share.

Moving files from share-to-share on a client PC over the connections seems way slow - abusive to the LAN, even.

So I am logged onto the server directly (actually via RD...) and am right-clicking/dragging/dropping files into Recorded TV and selecting "Move" from the resulting menu.

Seems to work ok for about five concurrent files max, but gets weird with higher volume - as in leaving behind zero-length files or just creating zero-length destination files... or just not doing anything at all.

The destination share has Duplication=Off.  I just noticed that the main source share still has Duplication=On, which I could see as creating needless work for WHS in the "Move" process - to I turned it off too.

Am I abusing WHS by moving files in this manner? 

If so, is there a good-right-and-holy-path for moving files between shares?

Or is what I am seeing just the way it is?
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• Moving files between shares requires dragging and dropping, or use of a tool which does the rough equivalent (xcopy, robocopy, synctoy, etc.). One thing to be aware of: you should always access files through the server shares, even when logged directly in to the server. On the server you can move/copy from \\localhost\Video to \\localhost\Recorded TV, but you should not try to copy from D:\Shares\Video to D:\Shares\Recorded TV, for example.

As for the odd issues you're experiencing, you're asking Windows (and Windows Home Server) to manage a lot of simultaneous disk accesses. That will work until you start saturating read queues and the like, but Windows Home Server is not optimized for this type of activity. So why not just select several files at once and drag/drop them all at the same time instead of trying something tricky to get concurrent file transfers going? You won't see hugely better performance from concurrent transfers. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:12 PM

• As for the odd issues you're experiencing, you're asking Windows (and Windows Home Server) to manage a lot of simultaneous disk accesses. That will work until you start saturating read queues and the like, but Windows Home Server is not optimized for this type of activity. So why not just select several files at once and drag/drop them all at the same time instead of trying something tricky to get concurrent file transfers going? You won't see hugely better performance from concurrent transfers. 

That's what I'm doing now - and all of the oddball behaviors seem to have gone away since I turned duplication off in both source and target shares.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:01 PM