Invalid Product ID for Microsoft Office Standard 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• I split my computer into two partitions: one has Windows Vista SP2 x32 and the other I just installed Windows 7 on.  On the Vista part I have a full registered copy of Microsoft Office Standard 2007.  I am currently at college and my installation disc is at home so I downloaded the trial version from the site and copied the Product ID from the one listed in the Office Word I currently have installed on Vista.  But when I put the code in, it says that 1 is an invalid character.  Why is this happening?  All I'm doing is copying the Product Key.  Does it have something to do with having it already installed on another partition on the same hard drive?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 7:06 AM

Answers

• Hello mrm2990,

Product ID is different then a Product Key.

A Product Key is required to used Office
    A Product ID is created at install and is partly derived from the Product Key used to conduct the install.

If I understand the issue, you are trying to use the Product ID as a Product Key and, as you have seen, this will not work.

Since you have the Trial Software, all you really need is the Product Key. So if there is anyone at your home that can get the Key from the Office packaging, they can read off the Key, to you, over the phone. 

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:14 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hello mrm2990,

Product ID is different then a Product Key.

A Product Key is required to used Office
    A Product ID is created at install and is partly derived from the Product Key used to conduct the install.

If I understand the issue, you are trying to use the Product ID as a Product Key and, as you have seen, this will not work.

Since you have the Trial Software, all you really need is the Product Key. So if there is anyone at your home that can get the Key from the Office packaging, they can read off the Key, to you, over the phone. 

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:14 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:13 PM
  • In addition, please be sure that the Trial software is the same version/edition as your Product Key is for.

Example: Office Standard 2007 key can only be entered into Office Standard 2007 software. The Office Standard 2007 key would not work in Office Home and Student 2007 or Office XP.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:17 PM