HP Media Smart EX470 RRS feed

• Question

• So I cracked open my system toay and replaced the RAM.

Went from 512 -> 2GB

My current configuration is as follows:

Hardware

EX470 with additional 500GB drive (1TB total)
    1. Seagate 500GB (Factory Installed)
    2. Western Digital 500GB (Additional
    2GB DDR 667 RAM

Software

Webguide4
    ClientInfo Add-in
    Program Popup Add-in
    Xbox360 RSS Feeds Add-in
    Whiist Add-in
    Web List Add-in
    PHP5
    MYSQL5
    Various PHP Homebrew & GPL Scripts

One think I did notice was that when I booted this system up I RDP in right after a clean boot and the system is using 612MB of RAM. So how the heck can HP ship these with 512?!

This sparked me to purchase the additional RAM. Hoping this would turn this machine into a super box.

I am extremely happy wtih my upgrade at this point in time. Many users have purchased the chip using my links below and I cannt thank you guys enough for the support.

Please feel free at any time to drop me a line if you have any questions or require any assistance.

Jon

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:59 PM

Answers

•  

I bought mine From NewEgg.com 

Kindly use that link. That is my affiliate link if thats ok.

Item#:  N82E16820145180

Excellent price as well.

Also let me know if you need instructions on getting to the RAM.

Not that difficult but it helps to know how to get there.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:40 AM
  • See my above post for the RAM

As far as installation it is pretty simple but everything must come apart.

Here goes:

Open the door.

To the Right of the lock in the center of the machine there are two small black screws. Unscrew them

Now Remove the front plate.

Now remove the left and right Silve Screws. One will be on the far right holding the power supply in and the other will be on the far left holidng the door in place.

Now remove all drives. Stack them in the order you took them out to remember

Now Snap the silver top plate forward should slide right off.

Now remove the cables two white on back left of the system and then the front cable that contorls the LEDS

Now stick your hand staright back and "POP" the Drive Back Plane off the mother board. (Will require a little force but go easy)

The unit should now slide out as one to you.

Remove ram.

There is only ONE slot on this board so I recommend getting the 2GB stick. In my previous post I provided a link and NewEgg part number.

Please be sure to use the link above. I tied all my affiliate programs into a 529 college fund for my son hehe
    (Provided this is ok with the mods. Otherwise Please remove my link)

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:28 AM

All replies

• I would like to up my ram for my EX470 to 1GB what type of ram do I need?  Thank you, Dubbly

Saturday, December 1, 2007 9:46 PM
  • hp built with min. sys. requirments, try running any windows system with min. req. and you wont be to happy. if it were me i wouldnt mess with the softwear untill some prose start tweaking it, theyll find some tricks. i know a lot of people on the forum say you dont need much power but i built mine with a core 2 and its fast.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:06 PM
  •  

Excellent price as well.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:40 AM
  • Which ram did you purchase (type/speed, ect.) and how difficult is it to open the case and install it?  Do you have to take apart the whole machine to get to the ram slots?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:20 AM
  • See my above post for the RAM

As far as installation it is pretty simple but everything must come apart.

Here goes:

Open the door.

To the Right of the lock in the center of the machine there are two small black screws. Unscrew them

Now remove the left and right Silve Screws. One will be on the far right holding the power supply in and the other will be on the far left holidng the door in place.

Now remove the cables two white on back left of the system and then the front cable that contorls the LEDS

Now stick your hand staright back and "POP" the Drive Back Plane off the mother board. (Will require a little force but go easy)

Remove ram.

There is only ONE slot on this board so I recommend getting the 2GB stick. In my previous post I provided a link and NewEgg part number.

Please be sure to use the link above. I tied all my affiliate programs into a 529 college fund for my son hehe
    (Provided this is ok with the mods. Otherwise Please remove my link)

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:28 AM
  •  dubbly wrote:

I would like to up my ram for my EX470 to 1GB what type of ram do I need?  Thank you, Dubbly

DDR2 PC-5300 desktop ram

Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:17 PM
  • After further review I can tell you the 2GB is making quite a difference and I highly recommend it.

I can vouch for the above ink I sent in that it works VERY well.

Also have another thread going about this.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2480437&SiteID=50

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:10 PM
  • I had an extra 1GB stick of G Skill DDR2 PC-6400.........works like a charm in my HP EX470 Box.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Thanks Jon

Just ordered some RAM from your link and I'll give it a whirl.  I have some basic questions if you dont mind.

How do I RDP into the HP ?  I have tried this using remote Desktop to the server local IP and and after inputing my login/password.. I get a message saying that I am unable to login.. even thought the user is part of the remote desktop group.. says i dont have allow log on through terminal services right... which I thought I had if I was in the RDP group

also, i seem to have a horrible time with permissions... at least 50% of the time I am getting denied access to the shared folders from within the console and the control center using my login, and I know I have permissions to do everything...
    I am using vista ultimate on a workstation within the network.  It sometimes says the account is locked out...but I havent accessed it for days.    I've tried deleting and creating my account and that doesnt seem to work... I am connected to the network, the server is reporting healthy.. but yet I cant see the HP in the network

Any help would be greatly appreciated

GM

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:55 AM
  • By default none of the users other then "administrator" will be allowed terminal server access.

In order to enable terminal server access you will need to do it through the Computer MMC Snap in.

First start by opening RDP then login using the administrator account.

Now right click my computer and click manage.

Now go to local users & groups

Right click on the user then hit the  "Terminal Server Profile"

Uncheck the box to "Deny" access.

This will allow the normal user to access the server via RDP.

I would recommend just using the adminstrator account for the RDP connections.

IN orde rto access the shares from the WHS server and the client machines it is wise to sync the usernames and passwords.

Otherwise you will have to enable the "guest"account with a minimum of read permissions on the shares.

Again best practice is to set the same username & passowrd on your vista machine as you have on your WHS server.

Thank you VERY much for using the link.

If you need help cracking the case open just let me know.

Also if you need some more help with the server I would be more then happy to assist.

I am considering creating a HOWTO document on all this stuff. It seems like the HP manual and Microsoft really need to think about re writing the docs to help users reach the maximum potential for the server.

It is fine piece of software that is complimented by HP's durability in hardware.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 3:13 AM
  • For those of you interested in Upgrading your RAM in your HP MediaSmart server, we wrote a tutorial last week with snapshots and step-by-step instructions:  You can get to the tutorial here:  http://www.MyHomeServer.com

You can go a MAX of 2GB (since there is only one slot, the largest we could find was a 2GB stick
    Monday, December 10, 2007 11:56 AM
  • And for yet another "how to" complete with pictures at every step, check out this article:

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/upgrade-memory-in-your-hp-ex470.html

I used a stick of 2GB PC2 - 5300 667MHz memory from Patriot that I bought from NewEgg for $43 after rebate. The whole procedure took less than 15 mins, but you need to remove practically every component of the HP EX470/475 just to get to the memory.

I haven't noticed a great improvment in speed, although I'm not running any non-standard apps on my box yet (except for using it as a print server).

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Who will be first with a tutorial on upgrading the CPU? Smile

Could someone login with Remote Desktop and run CPU-Z on their HP?  And post a screenshot of the result?  That would tell us the socket and specific processor model so we can tell whether processor upgrades are feasible.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:57 AM
  •  KenAF wrote:
    Who will be first with a tutorial on upgrading the CPU?

I can't say I'll be the first, but I've already started down that path; comparing CPU models, etc. I am a bit concerned about power (having all 4 drive bays full) so I'll have to check the specs t make sure the thing won't *splode* on me (not too worried about that though).

AMD makes up to a 3800+ of the Sempron. The HP comes stock with a Sempron 3400+, but there are four 3400+ models listed.

Here is my output from CPU-Z.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:06 PM

• Great information!

There are two versions of that CPU.  The normal version has a 65w TDP, whereas the "Energy Efficient Small Form Factor" version is 35W TDP.

These are the processors to try:

(1) AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 (dual 2.3GHz @ 45W)
    (2) AMD Athlon64 LE-1620 (2.4GHz @ 45W TDP)
    (3) AMD Sempron LE-1250 (2.2GHz @ 45W TDP)

The Athlon64 X2 would be the top choice, with the Athlon64 second, but if the HP bios does not support Athlons, then the Sempron LE-1250 would be the next best alternative.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:59 PM
  •  LiveGadgets wrote:

KenAF wrote:
    Who will be first with a tutorial on upgrading the CPU?

I can't say I'll be the first, but I've already started down that path; comparing CPU models, etc. I am a bit concerned about power (having all 4 drive bays full) so I'll have to check the specs t make sure the thing won't *splode* on me (not too worried about that though).

AMD makes up to a 3800+ of the Sempron. The HP comes stock with a Sempron 3400+, but there are four 3400+ models listed.

Here is my output from CPU-Z.

According to HP Partsurfer it is a 35 watt CPU AMD only lists one 35 watt 3400+ http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=145

Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:01 PM

• There are several other 35W CPUs from AMD:

Other 35W AMD Socket AM2 CPUs

Unfortunately, the other parts were discontinued some time ago, leaving the 45w parts I linked above as the best of the available choices for upgrades.

Update

I did find one vendor which claims to have the discontinued AMD Athlon64 3500+ 35w.  I don't know if they are reputable.
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:14 PM

• Thanks for the instructions on the RAM upgrade.  I just did my upgrade.  Aside from finding a small philips screwdriver, it was no problem at all.

Screenshot of my HP EX470 memory upgrade

I used G.Skill 2Gb DDR2-667 with 4-4-4 latency ($45) from Newegg.

The new memory is actually faster than the stock 512Mb module, which had 5-5-5 timings.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:33 AM
  • @Ken, Sweet! I went with a 5-5-5 but now wish I had gone with the G.Skill 4-4-4. I think I'll add that link to my memory upgrade article.

Isn't that small Phillips head a pain to find?! I actually went with a small straight screwdriver and just took my time.

I'm still looking intothe CPU upgrade. I'm liking the Athlon 64 approach, bit am not sure that it's worth the cost when I'm not sure it will work anyway.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 2:42 AM
  •  LiveGadgets wrote:
    I'm still looking intothe CPU upgrade. I'm liking the Athlon 64 approach, bit am not sure that it's worth the cost when I'm not sure it will work anyway.

I intend to try a dual-core Athlon X2 BE-2400 or BE-2450 next month.  The BE-2400 is a bit expensive now at $99, but I read that a price cut was planned for early January, when AMD will also unveil the 2450 (dual core 2.5GHz @ 45W).

The difference between 35W and 45W isn't a big deal -- the equivalent of one hard drive.

The chance of it causing damage is slim to none.  Worst case, the HP doesn't boot and I put the old CPU back in.  If it doesn't work, Newegg does accept returns on retail CPUs, provided you get the RMA number and the return is postmarked within 7 days of the invoice date.

I'm also looking at my options for quieter fans.  I have some very quiet 3-pin fans, but the HP has 4-pin fan connectors.  SilentPCReview doesn't have much on 4-pin fans.  The extra pin provides RPM monitoring and control, and the HP may not boot if it doesn't detect the fan RPMs.
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Just an FYI... I had some time to kill this afternoon so I tried the Athlon X2 BE-2400 in one of my EX470s.  I couldn't get it to boot.  It starts up and then the blue light on the right just keeps flashing and the unit never gets any further.  I suspect a bios acknowledgement may need to be made or the bios does not support the dual core. 

David

Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:40 PM
  • Thanks for testing that.  I guess X2 CPUs are not supported.  That's unfortunate, because dual-core would have really helped (demigrator eats ~100% of the existing CPU whenever you copy files), especially with media transcoding.

I guess the next processor to test is the 45W Athlon64 LE-1620 @ 2.4GHz.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:18 AM
  • Also, I forgot to mention that there was a noticeable difference in the temp of the heat-sink on removal.  I don't have any quantitative info but my fingers could definitely tell the difference.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:57 AM
  • UPDATE: Jan. 2008 CES show should be announcing the time frame of 64bit processors.

But then again with all the file corruption issues floating around who knows if this product will still be around by then hahaha

Friday, December 28, 2007 3:16 PM
  • Hello all,

I just tried to upgrade my EX470 to Crucial 4 GB 240-PIN DIMM 512Mx72 PC2-5300 memory and when I power on my server I get solid rod lights on all four of my drive bays.

I tried reseeding memory to see if that was it but still the the red light stay on.

Had to revert back to the original 512 stick and it's back to normal.....bummer :-(

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:25 AM
  • Although I am unable to find the whitepapers on this I am quite certain that 2GB is the Maximum memory.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Nothing was mention from the AMD website use of the following memory:  2GB 240-PIN UNBUFF DIMM 256MX64 DDR (PC2-5300) with a Sempron processor:

AMD Sempron™ Memory Guidelines

In our ongoing efforts to support industry standards, AMD Sempron™ processor-based platforms may be designed to leverage industry standard DDR registered DIMMs. An independent testing company, Computer Memory Test Labs (CMTL), has conducted memory compatibility testing. CMTL is an independent test facility and is able to test RAM modules from different module suppliers. System builders should access the CMTL web site a www.cmtlabs.com and view the recommended memory module list for the specific motherboard manufacturer and motherboard model.

Note: The CMTL website is provided for informational purposes only, and AMD recommends that a system builder conduct its own testing and validation to confirm that the memory modules are suitable for its systems.

To view an up-to-date list of compatible DDR memory modules, click here.

Memory Supported

Several AMD Sempron™ processor-based motherboards currently support some of the following memory features:

• PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 & PC3200 unbuffered memory modules.
    • 184-pin 2.5-Volt DDR DIMMs.
    • 64-bit DDR memory bus.
    • Supports 64-Mbyte, 128-Mbyte, 256-Mbyte, 512-Mbyte, 1-Gbyte, 2-Gbyte and 4-Gbyte memory technology.
    • Supports production DIMMs from industry standard DRAM memory manufacturers.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  boliek wrote:

Nothing was mention from the AMD website use of the following memory:  2GB 240-PIN UNBUFF DIMM 256MX64 DDR (PC2-5300) with a Sempron processor:

AMD Sempron™ Memory Guidelines

In our ongoing efforts to support industry standards, AMD Sempron™ processor-based platforms may be designed to leverage industry standard DDR registered DIMMs. An independent testing company, Computer Memory Test Labs (CMTL), has conducted memory compatibility testing. CMTL is an independent test facility and is able to test RAM modules from different module suppliers. System builders should access the CMTL web site a www.cmtlabs.com and view the recommended memory module list for the specific motherboard manufacturer and motherboard model.

Note: The CMTL website is provided for informational purposes only, and AMD recommends that a system builder conduct its own testing and validation to confirm that the memory modules are suitable for its systems.

To view an up-to-date list of compatible DDR memory modules, click here.

Memory Supported

Several AMD Sempron™ processor-based motherboards currently support some of the following memory features:

• PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 & PC3200 unbuffered memory modules.
    • 184-pin 2.5-Volt DDR DIMMs.
    • 64-bit DDR memory bus.
    • Supports 64-Mbyte, 128-Mbyte, 256-Mbyte, 512-Mbyte, 1-Gbyte, 2-Gbyte and 4-Gbyte memory technology.
    • Supports production DIMMs from industry standard DRAM memory manufacturers.

I'm I reading this correctly: "Supports 64-Mbyte, 128-Mbyte, 256-Mbyte, 512-Mbyte, 1-Gbyte, 2-Gbyte and 4-Gbyte memory technology."

Than why was I getting the solid red lights with I tried my 4 GB DIMM?

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Because I am pretty sure that this would apply when working in paired modules on a different board.

Two 2GB Chips would be supported.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 3:25 AM
  • ohhh....that would make sense, thanks!

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:22 AM
  • One word of caution.. YOU will **LOSE** your warranty if you upgrade your RAM because hp *DOES NOT* support it.. i called and confirmed this.. and they only support max of 1TB drive per bay so 4TB maximum in 4 slots.. and they do not support any memory upgrade..

so be cautious

Wakkas

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:51 PM
  • You are correct.

However if your RAM craps out they do not send a replacement. You are required to send the entire unit back.

No thanks I will take my chances.

There are stickers either so if it had to be put back to factory you can always stick the other stick back in.

I can tell you 512MB is not enough for what this machine is intended to do.

File Serving fine... but webserving (which it does come with pre built in that of HP Photo share)

Good luck... a few users hitting it and WHS COnsole open and you machine is taxed.

On clean install on boot 506MB in use. A few thigns open and it quickly jumped to 678MB which means it is now paging the disk.

My system now can peak at 1.3GB with heavy load and not break a sweat.
    Monday, January 14, 2008 12:01 AM
  •  JonTheTech wrote:
    You are correct.

However if your RAM craps out they do not send a replacement. You are required to send the entire unit back.

No thanks I will take my chances.

There are stickers either so if it had to be put back to factory you can always stick the other stick back in.

I can tell you 512MB is not enough for what this machine is intended to do.

File Serving fine... but webserving (which it does come with pre built in that of HP Photo share)

Good luck... a few users hitting it and WHS COnsole open and you machine is taxed.

On clean install on boot 506MB in use. A few thigns open and it quickly jumped to 678MB which means it is now paging the disk.

My system now can peak at 1.3GB with heavy load and not break a sweat.

anyone know what max RAM one can put.. i heard it can be bumped up till 4GB max? is that true?

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Looks like 2 gig dim is the max. I tried a 4 gig dim and it didn't work.

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:20 PM
  •  

Doe the HP Media Smart Server have a S1 socket or an AM2 socket?  If it is an S1 socket the AMD Turion 64 x2 might work.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I also would like to go from 512 to 2GB, how hard is to open the EX470 box or do i need a torch he..he...

I read it is very hard to open.

Thanks..
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:20 AM
  •  JonTheTech wrote:

Excellent price as well.

Hi JonTheTech  can you let me know was is the best way to open up EX470, I would like to go from 512 to 2GB and

a new faster CPU

EX470 with 4 500  and 2 500 on the eSATA port.....for now

thaks for any help.

-----------------------------

FarOut

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Open the door.

Remove ram.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Hello,

I've been reading these posts about upgrading the memory in the HP MSS and I was wondering, what's the best memory to go with?  I went to Newegg.com and there is so much to choose from.  Is any one better than the other?  Currently I have the HP MSS EX-470 and I've added two Seagate 1TB drives, giving me a total of 2.5TB.  The following link is a comparison of all the compatible memory boards on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052108080%201052307859%201052408745&bop=And&CompareItemList=N82E16820148097%2CN82E16820134632%2CN82E16820208348%2CN82E16820145180%2CN82E16820134192%2CN82E16820231109%2CN82E16820161240%2CN82E16820220231%2CN82E16820178163%2CN82E16820220296

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Rodney

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Disregard my previous post.  I couldn't wait for an answer.  I ended up getting my memory from Fry's Electronics in Plano, TX.  I went with Patriot's Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300, Low Latency, 4-4-4.  And it has a heat spreader on both sides of the board.  Cost $49.00.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:37 AM
  •  SilkRod wrote:
    Disregard my previous post.  I couldn't wait for an answer.  I ended up getting my memory from Fry's Electronics in Plano, TX.  I went with Patriot's Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300, Low Latency, 4-4-4.  And it has a heat spreader on both sides of the board.  Cost $49.00.

In the original thread of this post it showed you what to get.

You really should have went wiht 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 it does make quite the difference.

But please post your results and let us know how you did.

Benchmarking would be great.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:02 AM
  • Hey JonTheTech,

Yes, in the originald thread it did show which memory to get, but as I stated in my post, there were so many choices, I just wanted to know which was the best.

Also, now I'm confused because I thought 4-4-4-4 was better than 5-5-5-5 and/or 6-6-6-6.  In fact, earlier in the thread, LiveGadgets speaks of how he should have gone with 4-4-4-4 instead of 5-5-5-5.  And then I asked in the store which was the better.  Please explain.

Thanks,

SilkRod

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:34 AM
  •  SilkRod wrote:

Hey JonTheTech,

Yes, in the originald thread it did show which memory to get, but as I stated in my post, there were so many choices, I just wanted to know which was the best.

Also, now I'm confused because I thought 4-4-4-4 was better than 5-5-5-5 and/or 6-6-6-6.  In fact, earlier in the thread, LiveGadgets speaks of how he should have gone with 4-4-4-4 instead of 5-5-5-5.  And then I asked in the store which was the better.  Please explain.

Thanks,

SilkRod

Wel it is simply timing of the RAM. It depends on the speed combined with the timing. In the case of the original link I posted that would have been the better of the two.

http://www.tech-hounds.com/article24/ArticlesPage4.html

Does in fact show you the difference and has a decent article exlpaining the timing.
    IE: 4-4-4 800MHz vs 1024MHz 5-5-5

Let me also toss my opinion in saying that timing really does only have about 2-5% overall perfomance weigh in overall on RAM.

I find the biggest bang for the buck is the 5-5-5 on "servers".

Again my complete opinion and you really did not make a mistake buying 4-4-4 ram.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:30 AM
  •  SilkRod wrote:

No need to worry, you were correct.  Lower is better.

Higher number indicate higher latency, therefore slower performance.  As a practical matter, the difference between 4-4-4 and 6-6-6 isn't going to be that significant for server type tasks.  At most, the 4-4-4 memory will just be a few percent faster.

The previous poster was probably confused by the fact that higher latencies are generally needed to obtain higher memory speeds, which can provide improved performance.  For example, DDR-2 @ 5-5-5 running at 500MHz is usually faster than DDR-2 @ 4-4-4 running at 333MHz.  However, for a given memory speed, lower latency = faster.  The memory in the HP always runs at 333MHz (i.e. DDR2-667 speed).

You can download and run CPU-Z on your WHS to see the current latency of your memory.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I'd like to thank JonTheTech and KenAF for your comments.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

SilkRod

Friday, February 22, 2008 9:28 AM
  • I installed

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and the

AMD LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor.

on a HP Media smart EX475. Both for $100 bucks

So far no issues at all.

Runs at 25c at idel. I have not been able to get it passed 48c

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:49 AM
  •  rtsirois wrote:
    I installed

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and the

AMD LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor.

on a HP Media smart EX475. Both for $100 bucks

So far no issues at all.

Runs at 25c at idel. I have not been able to get it passed 48c

Thanks for that post.

Could you possibly run CPU-Z on your EX475 and post a screenshot?
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:43 PM
  • I just did something quick on my hp media server.

Here is the screen shot of my hp EX475 using cpu-z

http://sirois.homeserver.com/cpuz/

You will have to keep clicking on the photo until it's large enough

to view everything. Like i said i did it quickly

Of course the bios dosen't know what AMD processor is installed so it give the model unknown specification.

But has you can see everything is working fine anyway.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:49 AM
  • Did you have to do anything special to get your EX470 to see the new processor? I just odered one and this is the only place I have seen that anyone has successfully upgraded the process.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 7:03 PM
  • I just went to AMD's site and downloaded there update.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

thired one up from bottom. I installed the update first. Then I took apart my EX475 to do the upgrade.

It's a simple upgrade once you get your server apart. Just don't use as much cpu paste as they

did. They used enough to take care of at least 4 cpu's. Use artic silver also. If you look around there are several tutorials on how to take apart your hp EX470/EX475.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Many people disregard the thermal paste.

It is very important.

I have used nothing but Artic5 Silver.

New Egg Item: N82E16835100007

I have swamped my chip + ram.

I am still (4 months later) int he green in comparison to purchasing part for part and building this machine.

While HP has put out an under achiever in the hardware department it is still cheaper to buy a EX47x and upgrade it then any other option.

This post will be obsolete within a few weeks I am sure but at this very moment it still holds true and 4 months later in computer life is like decades hehe.

Anyone who needs assitance or any help or questions please do not hesitate to ask.

While I am not working full time and wtaching my 5 1/2 month old I am here answering posts best I can.

Jon

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:56 AM
  •  JonTheTech wrote:

Anyone who needs assitance or any help or questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Jon

Hey Jon,

I updated my memory awhile back and everything seems to be working correctly.  However, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that after increasing the memory in the EX470 that there is some setting that needs to be changed.  I couldn't do it earlier because I could not access my server from a client PC......but now I've got that figured out, I wanted to take care of this setting.  Can you tell me what that setting is that needs to be changed?

Thanks,

SilkRod

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:02 AM
  • Here is a link to home server hacks were they talk about changing the system virtual memory.

After changing upgrading your memory in your HP EX470/EX475

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/setting-virtual-memory-after-ram.html

Read the whole page first on the homeserver link. Before you change anything.

I kept both minimum and maximum size for each drive's pagefile the same.

Also only change the C: (SYS) drive

If anyone is still looking for a tutorial on taking apart your HP MediaSmart Server  EX470/EX475 Home sever hacks has a good one by Donavon West http://www.homeserverhacks.com/search/label/most%20read

My HP EX475 server has been working flawlessly for about a month now.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Thanks, I just received my server and extra memory I ordered today. I am going to start with the Memory and then move to the proccess after I know everything is running well.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:11 PM
  •  rtsirois wrote:

Here is a link to home server hacks were they talk about changing the system virtual memory.

After changing upgrading your memory in your HP EX470/EX475

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/setting-virtual-memory-after-ram.html

Read the whole page first on the homeserver link. Before you change anything.

I kept both minimum and maximum size for each drive's pagefile the same.

Also only change the C: (SYS) drive

If anyone is still looking for a tutorial on taking apart your HP MediaSmart Server  EX470/EX475 Home sever hacks has a good one by Donavon West http://www.homeserverhacks.com/search/label/most%20read

My HP EX475 server has been working flawlessly for about a month now.

Thank you RTSIROIS.  What min & max did you go with?

silkrod

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:02 AM
  •  JonTheTech wrote:
    So I cracked open my system toay and replaced the RAM.

W
    One think I did notice was that when I booted this system up I RDP in right after a clean boot and the system is using 612MB of RAM. So how the heck can HP ship these with 512?!

John,

The thing is that Windows NT architecture tends to get a big chunk of your memory for the system cache. It is common that, say, if you have 512MB the system starts using about some hundred-twenty MB for the system cache. And then after upgrading to 2GB you notice the system using about five-hundred-something MB. This is actually a good thing, and the system will free this cache memory as programs start requiring more RAM.

By the way, I DO think that shipping the system with 512MB was a mistake nevertheless, simply because this minimum requirement is unrealistic.

I was wondering about adding more mem to my MediaSmart as well but I am worried about voiding the warranty... Any comments on that?

Regards,
    P.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:44 AM
  • SilkRod

I used 3072 for both minimum and maximum.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:58 PM
  • If it is not asking much, could someone please point good memory sticks from some sites such as crucial.co.uk

Thing is that I live in the UK. Sure I could simply look for a DIMM matching the spec you guys posted, but I would like to hear your experiences about which brand/spec would be best.

should I go PC-5300 or PC-6400?

Thank you

P.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:21 PM
  • I upgraded mine to 2GB using a Corsair stick. I would not worry about voiding the warranty as long as you save the original Stick of memory and put it back in in anything fails. Their are no stickers to show you opened the case, unless they do finger print testing but I doubt that.

There are reports of people messing up or stripping the small screw heads. I highly suggest getting yourself a size #00 screw driver.  If you use the right size screw driver you are less likely to strip the screw head.

Here is the memory I used from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145180

Model
    Brand CORSAIR
    Model VS2GB667D2
    Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 2GB
    Speed DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
    Cas Latency 5
    Heat Spreader No

I think any memory DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) with Cas Latency of 5 or 6 will work.
    Monday, March 17, 2008 2:29 PM
  • I've posted a detailed article on how to perform a processor upgrade on my Home Server Hacks blog (along with pictures every step of the way). Thanks to everyone here for actually getting this done! Check out my article here:

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/03/add-performance-to-your-hp-ex470-with.html

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:34 PM
  • I've seen a number of people on various sites that have posted power consumption, some detailed experiments even went as far as to document the variance when different numbers of drives were present.

Can someone with the processor upgrade to the Orleans processor give us insight into what this does for power consumption?

From what I've seen, with the base processor and two drives, it looks to be at about 50w...

Thanks to anyone that can chime in here, I'm wondering what this will do to the lights if I upgrade :-)
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:49 AM
  • I bought memory from Newegg, Patriot 2GB PC5300 667, and the server won't boot now.  After checking blinking light decoder in set up guide it says that 2 blue then 2 red flashes is a memory error.

Any tips on how to fix this? I have already tried re-seating a few times and then just gave up and put back the old memory.  Old memory allowed boot up with no issues.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:58 AM
  • Sounds like you might have a bad chip or just that model does not work hard to say without testing it in another computer or with the use of a memory tester. I used this part from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145180. Everything runs fast as can be, at least until do the processor upgrade to make it even faster.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:56 PM
  • RMA the memory; it's bad or the wrong type.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:21 PM
  • yep, looks like the same memory type (just different vendor) so I am confused.

I am wondering about procedure now.

-did you previously set up your hard drive or was your memory install "fresh" before turning on for the first time?

-anything else I could be missing?

-what about BIOS version?

-can anyone check their operating voltage (mine shows constant 1.8v)

seems like an odd coincidence that I got bad memory.  hmmm.

I will try one more time today.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Hopefully this is the right place for this.

I am a proud new owner of an new EX470..  I beta tested WHS and was thoroughly impressed (a Mac guy at heart).  As I had figured, HP did this right and am very pleased... works perfectly with a Windows XP machine and several Macs.

Quick question:

I just added a 7200.11 Seagate 1GB to the EX470 (which came with a 7200.10).  Seamless installation thus far.

Before adding the 7200.11 I removed the jumper to enable 3GB transfer on the 7200.11, does this matter?  It appears the chipset specs are a 1.5GB limit, but I am unsure what other affects this has... any thoughts?  And yes, I do realize that 1.5GB is just a standard, and is never even approached.

Just have not found any conversations on this topic. (and spent a fair bit of time looking for).
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:54 PM
  • makes sense that the memory is bad since so many others have had success.  ***...will I have to pay shipping both ways ?

i wonder if I can trade it out for another vendor like the Gskill that others have liked, it has better latency numbers.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Typically with newegg you will have to pay for shipping on the return, but they will replace it for free.  However if you want a refund I think they charge a 15% restocking fee.

I upgraded my ram 1 day after I got it and set it up. However I did order the ram at the same time thanks to all the helpful information on this forum and others. I figured if I was going to mess the thing up and void the warranty I wanted to make sure I got to test it out first and make sure there was nothing wrong with it.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:28 PM
  • I went ahead and bought some Kensington memory from Office Depot on sale for $60 and everything worked out great. 

Interesting enough I tried the Patriot memory in a computer at work and it booted fine.  So I can only assume that voltage tolerance of the memory stick is poor and/or the EX470 wasn't giving it what it wanted where as the GSKill that others have used and Kensington I bought are able to work better at the provided voltage.

I have issued an RMA with Newegg and they are waiving the 15% restocking fee.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  jmnieves wrote:

Hello all,

I just tried to upgrade my EX470 to Crucial 4 GB 240-PIN DIMM 512Mx72 PC2-5300 memory and when I power on my server I get solid rod lights on all four of my drive bays.

I tried reseeding memory to see if that was it but still the the red light stay on.

Had to revert back to the original 512 stick and it's back to normal.....bummer :-(

I just attempted to upgrade the memory on my HP EX470 with the 2GB GSkill that many have been using.  All four of my hard drive bays had solid red lights as well.  I couldn't find documentation on the four solid red hard drive lights.  My server health indicator was purple and didn't not blink red at all.  Anyone have an idea on what it may mean?

The memory seemed to work fine in another PC (though I did not allow it to fully boot, just saw it read the memory upon bootup).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:06 AM
  •  

Can you post the instructions on how to install the RAM. I don't want to break any thing on my EX475 board. Thanks
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:25 AM
  •  Nilliers wrote:

Can you post the instructions on how to install the RAM. I don't want to break any thing on my EX475 board. Thanks

There's a very detail tutorial at www.homeserverhacks.com

SilkRod

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:23 AM
  • If you have not notice that the HP EX470 has DDR2 and is voltage picky. I have tried a Patroit 2GB 1.9v

CAS 5, no luck. The original memory 512MB is 1.8v. And for those who want to try duel-core (x2) CPU that requires a BIOS upgrade first, It does work.

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Jon
    I just received my HP M S Server and am trying to fix the IP address. the router is giving out ip addresses by dhcp and i need to get log into the HPMSS to fix that IP. You mention RDP through MMC, but i can't seem to achieve that. Can you be alittle more specific for this novice? What is RDP? Remote Desktop something? i got into the mmc for my desktop, but that's not where you meant was it? the HPMSS came with no addins. how do i put an addin in? where do i get them from? i tried whs toolkit but that wouldn't work. Any suggestions? thanks
    Friday, July 18, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

To 'RDP' into your server, from your Client, select 'Run' and enter 'mstsc.exe'. This will bring up the remote connection box in which you will need to enter your server name and then use Administrator and your admin password.

To install an Add-In you need to download it from somewhere like WeGotServed  using your usual client computer and save it to the Shared Folders - Software - Add Ins on your client's desktop.

After you have done that, open the Connector on your Client, and then go to Settings (top right hand corner) and select Add-Ins. This will have two tabs, Installed and Available, go to Available and select the one you have just downloaded and away you go.

To install the Toolkit, which is available from here, you need to follow the instructions in it's associated Manual (available from the same place), as it isn't a standard installation.

Colin

Do Note that using a Remote Desktop to do anything on the server, can lead to disaster unless you know exactly what you are doing, and why. There are numerous tools which are part of Server 2003, (the underlying system), which can and do break Windows Home Server.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:53 PM
  • I don't have the photo smart premier

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Anonymousie

Can you please ellaborate on the recommendation for a BIOS upgrade and if that is done, what are our options to upgrade processors, and would a dual core processor really be much better than a single core?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:40 AM
  • It is a Stupid thing to buy a 4-bay drive unit with no RAID functionality built-in. HP explains the “folder duplication” is a superior technology compared to RAID… jeeez what if my system partition crashes… I leave it to their own consensus to argue further. I tried to hack in and configure software RAID… it is a pity… not any different than configuring from other Windows Servers. I don’t think it is expensive to bring hardware RAID to this genius piece that they attempted to through at dumb users… I understand the need for similar hard-drive configurations but not at the cost of unreliable system partition. May be it is a good idea to provide it as an option…

I just returned the unit back to Frys - the return process was tedious and ton of questions asked... literally I had to explain the reason to 3~5 technical and non-technical people repeatedly.

Window Home Server concept is good – but too far from being satisfactory model. It appears to be on right track though. So I ended up buying and OEM license along with a Cavalry storage capable of RAID. The plan is to attach this storage to an existing Virtual Server environment and install feature rich WHS as one of the virtual machine with bunch of free add-on modules… I will post an update soon!!!

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Mahisri said:

It is a Stupid thing to buy a 4-bay drive unit with no RAID functionality built-in. HP explains the “folder duplication” is a superior technology compared to RAID… jeeez what if my system partition crashes…

If you use Folder Duplication on all of your shares, you don't lose any data.  You grab a new drive and reinstall the OS.

Mahisri said:

I leave it to their own consensus to argue further. I tried to hack in and configure software RAID… it is a pity… not any different than configuring from other Windows Servers. I don’t think it is expensive to bring hardware RAID to this genius piece that they attempted to through at dumb users…

First, the reason there is no RAID in the HP MSS (or any other pre-built server) is because RAID is not supported on WHS.  It's not supported primarily because it's not a simple concept for the target market (non-technical users) to understand (or, for that matter, even know what it is).  Second, a good RAID controller can be expensive and it would add to the price of the unit, which means less units sold.

Mahisri said:

I understand the need for similar hard-drive configurations but not at the cost of unreliable system partition. May be it is a good idea to provide it as an option…

You can always suggest it on Connect.  But I don't see it happening any time soon.

Mahisri said:

I just returned the unit back to Frys - the return process was tedious and ton of questions asked... literally I had to explain the reason to 3~5 technical and non-technical people repeatedly.

Window Home Server concept is good – but too far from being satisfactory model. It appears to be on right track though. So I ended up buying and OEM license along with a Cavalry storage capable of RAID. The plan is to attach this storage to an existing Virtual Server environment and install feature rich WHS as one of the virtual machine with bunch of free add-on modules… I will post an update soon!!!

Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I don't think the targetted users of WHS know how to reinstall the OS - I have gone thru a restoration process, its not made simple.

WHS is not specially built OS from Microsot - it is a fine tuned version of Small Business Server - YES, it supports RAID. I have loaded the drivers and installed it on a RAID supported hardware. BTW, the RAID controller I bought is just $46. I am okay with concept of folder replication of data.  One has to go thru a tedious process of restoring from external backup offered via highly expensive subscription by Amazon etc. Is it worth? It doesn't support encryption either... Users are becoming more intelligent and understand these essentials - younger generation demand more knowledge than solutions that make them better dumbos.

Bottom line WHS has the potential to become an appliance based solution, only if driven in a right way.

I wouldn't prefer and/or suggest anyone buying a 4-bay drive unit with same level of unreliability and still face extensive downtimes incase of failure.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Mahisri said:

I don't think the targetted users of WHS know how to reinstall the OS - I have gone thru a restoration process, its not made simple.

How is it not simple?  HP provides you with the documentation that clearly explains what to do, step-by-step.  Now if you are referring to the System Builder/OEM version, yes, a few users have had problems with the Reinstallation process (usually due to the lack of SATA support OOTB).  But that's why it's a System Builder version.  If you don't understand computers, you shouldn't be using that in the first place (buy a pre-built server from HP, Lacie, etc. instead).

Mahisri said:

WHS is not specially built OS from Microsot - it is a fine tuned version of Small Business Server - YES, it supports RAID.

RAID is not supported on WHS.  I never said it wouldn't work, just that MS doesn't support it.  If your server goes belly up and you are using RAID, don't expect any assistance from MS because, as I said before, RAID is not supported.

Mahisri said:

I have loaded the drivers and installed it on a RAID supported hardware. BTW, the RAID controller I bought is just $46. I am okay with concept of folder replication of data.  One has to go thru a tedious process of restoring from external backup offered via highly expensive subscription by Amazon etc.

No you don't.  That is an option that no one has to use if they don't want to.  You can just as easily backup your data to an external drive using the backup features that are part of Power Pack 1 (without any monthly fee at all).

Mahisri said:

Is it worth? It doesn't support encryption either... Users are becoming more intelligent and understand these essentials - younger generation demand more knowledge than solutions that make them better dumbos.

No.  Generally speaking (at least in the USA), the younger generation couldn't care a less about encryption.  They care about MySpace, FaceBook, iPods, iPhones, etc.

Mahisri said:

Bottom line WHS has the potential to become an appliance based solution, only if driven in a right way.

I wouldn't prefer and/or suggest anyone buying a 4-bay drive unit with same level of unreliability and still face extensive downtimes incase of failure.

Friday, March 20, 2009 3:09 AM
  • Kariya,
    My apologies if my critique offended you. I was constructively criticizing HP and Microsoft. I didn't mean to trigger an argument at all.

I am talking about a pre-built server from HP only (this thread Ex470). The intent was to setup this server for my dad who has no knowledge about technology and but he is a good computer user. My conclusion - it was not made simple. You may differ from my opinion.

I contradict with your comments in previous response " RAID is not supported on WHS " ... it looks like we define this "support" differently...  I don't care if Microsoft offers any technical support for RAID setup on WHS. I am talking about feasibility...

It appears you have misunderstood, I never said younger generation cares about encryption. I said, they demand more knowledge. And said, Users in general, (not just young generation), are becoming more intelligent and understand these essentials.

I think we should stop this dialogue. Thanks.

Friday, March 20, 2009 3:30 PM
  • This is going to sound crazy but I had the same problem and all I did was WAIT FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES. Apperantly what the system is doing is recovering from an incorrect shutdown procedures. I force my server to shutdown by pressing and holding the power button.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:49 AM
  • It is now Aug 2010 is it better to just get a new server or upgrade the ram?
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi DOdad, I had recently an EX470 and did the same process as you did, i was able tu run an instructions to change the BIOS and make detect the  AMD Athlon BE-2400 CPU, was successfully detected and working like a charm but after a couple of minutes it shuts down, i turn it on again the third blue light keeps blinking until eventually sets all disk and the server as available in my network but again, shuts down, during the period of time that is working i could read a temp of 52F but of course what is read is not real and saw your message that it increases in temperature dramatically, maybe that is the reason why it shuts down.... please if you know something or during this time you had more experience with it please let me know.

Thank you.  

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Hi hpwhs470

I have the exact same problem on my recently purchased HP EX475 except mine still has the untouched OEM 512Mb of RAM.  I also couldn't find documentation on the four solid red hard drive lights.  My server health indicator is purple and didn't not blink red at all. The reset button that you need to press to get error codes doesn't respond either.  Cant connect using the control console and my router doesn't see the server yet the network icon is blue and I have amber link lights when the CAT 6 cable is plugged in. This is the first post after a week of research on the internet that mentions what I am experiencing.

Were you ever able figure this out?  I know this is an old thread but it still amazes me that no one has an idea on what this may mean in 2011?  Are we the only two that this has happened to?

Friday, December 16, 2011 10:46 AM
  • dedhead, it sounds to me like some kind of severe hardware failure. Have you tried contacting HP? 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Yes a hardware failure is what Im starting to conclude myself.  I just recently bought this through ebay about a week ago so no I haven't contacted HP yet.  Its acted like this from the first moment I turned it on.  Been in the IT industry for almost 15 years so Im a little stubborn when it comes to things like this because I would like to think that I can fix and solve anything. LOL Calling HP would be like I accepted defeat but also felt that since I bought this second hand they would do nothing to help me.  Guess Im gonna bite the bullet on this one and call them.  

One quick question though, if the system disk isn't connected when the server is turned on, what lights are on and what color are they? 

Thanks for the response Ken, Im just surprised that I cant find any information anywhere in the manual or on the internet about the 4 red hard drive lights and purple health indicator problem

• Edited by dedhead Friday, December 16, 2011 6:59 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 6:53 PM