none
"microsoft" official warning of a virus RRS feed

• Question

• I have repeatedly been "notified" of a virus that has infected my computer and the only way to get rid of it is to call 1-866-675-7292.  I have been told not to answer this notification because this is actually a virus in its own right.  Can you tell me if this is a legitimate Microsoft notification.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Based on the description it does look like a Ransomware (a virus). I'm quite certain it is not a legitimate thing.

Is it your personal computer? Do you have someone who can help you?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:48 AM
  •   Can you tell me if this is a legitimate Microsoft notification.

Microsoft would not contact you in this manner.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

I'd ask for help over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:58 AM
  • When you get a call like that, do  not give personal information and don't give them any other details about yourself, your friends, or relatives or anything. Absolutely don't provide sensitive information such as your Social Security Number over the phone. You need to ask them for information. If they can't provide details then they are a scam.

You can check out phone numbers simply by searching, as in 8666757292. If it is a scam then you will definitely get faster answers that way. However even if the phone number is valid, that won't prove the call is. My mother had a call that she thought was valid but I said it must be a scam. So they gave a phone number for Microsoft and it was a valid number for Microsoft but the number they were calling from has been reported as a scam.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Based on the description it does look like a Ransomware (a virus).

No it does not. If it was a ransomware virus then they would notify you from the computer. That would be much more convincing and it would be safer for them. If they had control of the computer then they sure would not just call multiple times on the phone.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:43 AM
  • This is how I originally understood his message - that he is getting the alerts from the computer. But perhaps I misunderstood. If someone called and asked to call back, then it's a scam for sure, and should be ignored.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:20 PM
  • I misread the original message. I thought that these notifications were coming directly as alerts from your computer (which would clearly indicate a virus). If you received the phone calls, ignore them. I got some of them myself - often you can hear Indian accent in these calls.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:25 PM
  • I assumed the notification was not by phone, but either by email, or perhaps a message on the computer. An email would indicate a phishing attempt that can be ignored (and deleted). A message on the computer would indicate a virus.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:33 PM
  • Agree. BTW, at my work place we had mandatory course about this - how to detect phishing attempts, etc.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:52 PM
  • I assumed the notification was not by phone, but either by email, or perhaps a message on the computer. An email would indicate a phishing attempt that can be ignored (and deleted). A message on the computer would indicate a virus.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

You are correct that the post is not clear. It might be a notification by computer. If it is by computer then the question should also tell us what antivirus is being used and what the result of a complete scan is. Most AV software vendors allow us to try their software on a trial basis of some type; if there is a virus that their AV is not detecting then they could try another one.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:46 PM