Power pack 2 incomplete install RRS feed

• Question

• On my home server I have auto updates set. when power pack 2 auto installed is when all of my problems started. I think?
    None of the update installed on the home computers. pp2 installed on home server fine ( as best as I can tell)
    I have read all of the release notes that i can find. The only support I can find on microsoft site is a paid support at 80 bucks.

This is were I am at I can open console. the router sees the server and gives it an ip address.
    can connect to server with shared folders from laptop desktop
    Router drops server at times and I have to restart server to get ip back
    ran tools and it gave me a bunch of errors to include:
    can not ping server
    can not connect to some ports like back up ports

I tried to do a manual install suggested by release notes to install WHSconnectorinstall.exe and it failed.
    I am running xp pro on all my computers
    can anybody help direct me as to how to go about fixing the problems so i can back up my computers?
    It does not look like microsoft has any support for home sever other than this forum. If they do I can not find it.

IceMeister
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 9:53 PM

Answers

• OK i found out some more info about this problem. One is that my son when he connects his x box to the router is able to stream movies from the server to the x box and watch on tv but only durning the time the the server is scheduled for back ups of computers. wierd. I did hook up a monitor to the server and restarted it and it gives an error message that says some services not started. error log shows under apps. ASP.Net 2.0.507.0 warning and .net runtime error.
    under system error DCOM 10005
    service control manager 7000
    DHCP 1000
    warning W32 time
    Hope this helps

IceMeister
    In that case, you might want to try a Server Reinstallation.
    • Marked as answer by IceMeister49 Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:24 AM

All replies

• On my home server I have auto updates set. when power pack 2 auto installed is when all of my problems started. I think?
    None of the update installed on the home computers. pp2 installed on home server fine ( as best as I can tell)
    I have read all of the release notes that i can find. The only support I can find on microsoft site is a paid support at 80 bucks.

This is were I am at I can open console. the router sees the server and gives it an ip address.
    can connect to server with shared folders from laptop desktop
    Router drops server at times and I have to restart server to get ip back
    can not ping server
    can not connect to some ports like back up ports

I tried to do a manual install suggested by release notes to install WHSconnectorinstall.exe and it failed.
    I am running xp pro on all my computers
    can anybody help direct me as to how to go about fixing the problems so i can back up my computers?

If PP2 didn't install correctly, you can try uninstalling by logging into the server desktop and remove it through Add/Remove programs (then reboot the server).  Then open the Console, click on Update Now and install it again (again, reboot the server afterwards).

It does not look like microsoft has any support for home sever other than this forum. If they do I can not find it.

IceMeister
    That's because you are support.  That's how OEM products work.  You build it with an OEM/System Builders license, you are responsible for supporting it yourself.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:52 PM

• Router drops server at times and I have to restart server to get ip back
    can not ping server

Once you get PP2 re-installed, please double check your hardware (including the router) and/or drivers. A failed update should not cause the server to drop off the network.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:03 AM

• Router drops server at times and I have to restart server to get ip back
    can not ping server

Once you get PP2 re-installed, please double check your hardware (including the router) and/or drivers. A failed update should not cause the server to drop off the network.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    OK i did the reinstall as suggested, no luck on fixing the problem. I can not find all of the ports for the server. one care live does not show all ports for some reason. This problem started before one care was installed so do not  think it is issue. Still not able to find all ports.
    as of now router showing server. I can connect with console.
    I am not convinced that the update is or was my problem any other suggestions?

icemeister
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:40 AM
  • OK i did the reinstall as suggested, no luck on fixing the problem. I can not find all of the ports for the server.

What do you mean you can't find them?  Exactly what are you looking for (and how are you looking for it)?

one care live does not show all ports for some reason.

Installing One Care on your server is unsupported and, as I recall, has caused other users various problems.

This problem started before one care was installed so do not  think it is issue. Still not able to find all ports.

icemeister

PP2 doesn't break anything that is part of a typical WHS installation.  Do you have any add-ins/apps installed on your server?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:21 AM
  • OK i did the reinstall as suggested, no luck on fixing the problem. I can not find all of the ports for the server.

What do you mean you can't find them?  Exactly what are you looking for (and how are you looking for it)?

one care live does not show all ports for some reason.

Installing One Care on your server is unsupported and, as I recall, has caused other users various problems.

This problem started before one care was installed so do not  think it is issue. Still not able to find all ports.

icemeister

PP2 doesn't break anything that is part of a typical WHS installation.  Do you have any add-ins/apps installed on your server?
    I was refering to the live one on the client laptop and its fire wall for live one care. The firewall shows a list of ports. It does not list the ports that are needed for the WHS. It shows some of them but not all as listed in read me titeled whs connector info. One care is not installed on my server.  Here is a list of the test I did using the whs tool.

home server beacon discovery failed
    cannot ping home server by name
    UPnP discovery failed
    cannot connect to the server internal secure web service
    cannot connect to the server back up
    cannot connect to server transport
    A firewall product is found on home computer. ( this is the live one care it states that home server and one care should work well togather but rare occasions when it does not.
    I could be wrong that the PP2 was the issue and need to look other places to fix the problem.
    I do have advanced console and U torrent installed and explore 7 web browser Not 8 the only add ins I have installed. I have not used the u torrent yet but would like to at some point. I have not tested out the u torrent program.
    Thanks for any help in figuring this out.

IceMeister

Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:27 PM
  • OK i found out some more info about this problem. One is that my son when he connects his x box to the router is able to stream movies from the server to the x box and watch on tv but only durning the time the the server is scheduled for back ups of computers. wierd. I did hook up a monitor to the server and restarted it and it gives an error message that says some services not started. error log shows under apps. ASP.Net 2.0.507.0 warning and .net runtime error.
    DHCP 1000
    warning W32 time
    Hope this helps

IceMeister
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:31 PM
    DHCP 1000
    warning W32 time
    Hope this helps

IceMeister
    In that case, you might want to try a Server Reinstallation.
    • Marked as answer by IceMeister49 Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:24 AM