none
Cannot forward certain pictures in Windows Live Mail 2011

Question

• This has been going on for a year. A moderator said we would be contacted when a solution was found. Windows 7 SP 1 has come and gone and still no solution. When trying to forward email with photos in body of email get message saying "some of these photos cannot be found"
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:01 PM

All replies

• It is April 12 2011 and just downloaded the largest Windows 7 update to date and still have the same problem with Live Mail 2011 but not when using Outlook
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:46 AM
  • I too have this issue.  Has there been a fix for this? Other email apps seem to allow this, but I am trying to be a good doobie and drink the MS kool-aid. I just want to forward my inline photo's and not get the red mark on the delivered end.  I have tried options>saftey options>security tab and unchecking "download images" but no dice.  Please help
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Still waiting. I am on 2 different forums in regards to this and still nothing from MS.They should tell us it is not worth their bother to fix so I can change my default Email to something else.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Here is a solution albeit clumsy.

In the email you received with the pictures (and probably text), select everything and paste it into Word. The pictures will not paste. Just opt to paste the text.

Then go back to the original email and right click on each picture and select "Save Picture As..." and save it to your desktop. You should be able to see a thumbnail of each picture so renaming them is a waste of time.

Last go back to Word and copy each picture (Control-C), one at a time, and paste (Control-V) each into Word at the appropriate place amid the text.

Last, in the Word document, do a Select All, copy it, and then paste it into a new email.

George

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:45 PM
  • This forum is for a blog software called Windows Live Writer. For help in Windows Live Mail, visit windowslivehelp.com.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:39 PM
  • You respond to this 4 months later and say it's not supposed to be posted here!Thanks for letting us know so promptly. Why don't you go to the aforementioned Windows Live Help which this forum is for also, it is Windows Live isn't it? Maybe since you know so much you can help the do nothings at at the other forum that has been unresolved after a year with the same excuses
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:11 PM
  • People have a life, you are at the mercy of their spare time and interest if you post to internet forums.  You will see people who come here once every other year, that does not prevent them from helping people who get lost like you. Don't bite the helping hand.

I am not interested in solving your problem, that's Microsoft's responsibility. I am just pointing out where Windows Live experts (probably include some Microsoft folks who happens to get a day off, I don't know) hang out, and this forum, being both off-topic and low-traffic, would probably never get a lost Windows Live Mail expert. It does not even get enough visitors to give people directions when they get lost. 

Even when you are willing to pay for service, you would look for a dentist for a dental surgery, not an oncologist. "They are both doctors" does not mean every doctor can solve every medical problem. Microsoft forums are for people to help each other for free, you should probably invest a little more time in finding the correct forum than finding a doctor, 4 months is a lot of time,

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:44 PM
  • My apology. I thought you were Microsoft employee and the forum I am on in regards to my problem is being handled by Microsoft personel and it IS their job to find a solution
    Friday, July 22, 2011 12:25 AM
  • Not even a random Microsoft Employee can help you, you know, Microsoft gets a lot of employees, including cleaning staff. For a product this size you will have to be very, very lucky to bump into a Microsoft Employee from the Live Mail group even if you are in Microsoft's campus. If you want a guaranteed contact you have to go through Microsoft customer support, which can help you find the right person to ask, but the price isn't cheap though. You probably will have better luck in looking for volunteers who want to share their knowledge in the product.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Guess what!  To heck with this BS!  Microsoft support DIRECTED me to this very forum for an answer to the specific question about pictures not forwarding in the body of an email using Windows Live Mail.  Myself and others have searched all over the internet, and the only thing we can come with is dead-ends, ESPECIALLY on Microsoft sites!  We already HAVE freaking changed the security settings and it still doesn't work right.  Thanks for nothing, Microsoft.  You don't care about your customers now, and you never have.  I'm switching to the Thunderbird email client right now -- not that you care, after you've gotten my money.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:34 AM
  • hi harry, in order to correct the instruction that lead you to here so others wont be misguided too, i need the url of the original direction. could you point me out where did you get the direction?

It is not uncommon to make mistakes when people give advises in area thy are not familiar with, the support engineer may only be trained for that particular forum/hotline (knowing a little bit of everything is the phone dispatcher's job,not the experts'). Also it is not uncommon to ask direction multiple times, just like you may want to ask again when you are walking and unsure if you are near your destination.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Excuse me Sheng Jiang but Harry Cain is right. Are you an employee of Microsoft or in charge of this site. You keep telling us to stay off this forum but the only questions on it are problems as Harry Cain described. Instead of trying to get everyone off this site ( I don't understand what gives you the authority ) suggest a solution to the problem. We get nothing but negative comments and orders from you
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:26 AM
  • No I don't work for Microsoft, but a little research shows Microsoft's Windows Live forums are not here (I googled "Windows Live Forum" and took the first hit). Those directions that lead people to here needs to be stopped, otherwise it will only cause frustrations not only to misguided users but also for the Windows Live Writer community. 

I am going to suggest this forum to be closed in the forum feedback forum, since the forum owner already stated the forum support is moved to the Windows Live Solution Center .

Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:36 AM
  • @Jackietools,

If the pictures in the email are present and link to a server (holding the pictures) instead having been physically inserted by the sender, then WLM will not forward them (they are not present in the received message body content). A user would have to save the picture from the original message, reply or forward the message, clear the original picture (if still present), then reinsert or attach the message.

Optionally, you can ask the sender to do one of the following allowing you (or others) to forward a message.

1. Sender configures the email to use/send in plain text then attach the message, send the email which will allow WLM to forward the message with the attachment.

2. Sender does same as (1) but composes in html (if using Outlook avoid Rich Text), inserts the picture, send the email allowing WLM to forward the message.

I've tested both (1) and (2) using both Outlook and WLM with both types of sending protocols (Pop3 or Http) - and WLM (2011 or 2009) both forward messages to both types of receiving accounts (Pop3 or Http).  I don't use IMAP and did not test it.

or

3. Sender if using WLM chooses the Photo Email option, uploads the picture to the Live server when prompted (Live ID sign on is necessary to use Photo Email), send the message which will allow the user to click a link in the received email and view the picture (sent in a Photo Email and stored on the Live servers) using their browser. 

Future questions (since this is the Live Writer forum and basically defunct) should be proposed in the Microsoft Answers forum(s).

Microsoft Answers (for Hotmail, Messenger, SkyDrive)
     http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum

Microsoft Account/Windows Live ID Portal
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/liveid

Windows Live Messenger
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/messenger

Windows Live Mail
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail

Windows Hotmail
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail

Windows Outlook.com
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/mail

Windows SkyDrive
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/skydrive

Windows PhotoGallery
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/gallery

Windows MovieMaker
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/moviemaker

Windows Live Writer
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/writer

...winston
    MSFT MVP Live Mail
    Sunday, August 07, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Thanks for trying to help . I am already involved in a Windows Live Mail forum in regards and even Microsoft cannot find a solution. I am not saying your ideas will not work but this is ridiculous to have to do all this just to send an email. Other programs such as Outlook or Thunderbird do not require these procedures. Why would anyone use the program if you have to all of that just to send or forward emails with pictures. Let Microsoft fix it! Most casual users would not know what you are talking about
    Sunday, August 07, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Your an happy ass arent you
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:56 PM
  • It took you 6 months to figure that out! The problem still persists with no answers or solutions
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:29 PM
  • jackie i just figured it out.Right click the picture chose save as.Call it what ever you want.close out of there go back and forward the email.It will come up as an attachment automatically hit send done deal
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:40 PM
  • Sounds good. Ill give it a try. I still wish they would fix it but thanks for your help. I shall let you know if it works for me.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 12:53 AM
  • This has been going on for a year. A moderator said we would be contacted when a solution was found. Windows 7 SP 1 has come and gone and still no solution. When trying to forward email with photos in body of email get message saying "some of these photos cannot be found"

I agree, this has been going on for over a year . . . i can not believe this is a Microsoft site, looks like they simply do not care that this is a real problem with Windows Live Mail . ..

Was not a problem in the older version of Mail, like Outlook Express . . . with this new version not only will it not forward some images, it does not allow insertion of background

images and sounds like music playing when the receipent opens the email . . 

COME ON BILL GATES, GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER, OR I MAY HAVE TO CHANGE TO APPLE . . . BOB

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:30 PM
  •  i have been having the same identical problem . . . wish Gates with all his gizzilians of dollars would spend a few and fix this anoying problem . . ..  Bob Love
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:24 PM
  • I am having the same problem, i loved Outlook Express and am thinking of going back to it, but probably cant on windows 7
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:25 PM
  • @Sumda, @all others,

Correct, - one can not go back to Outlook Express (OE). OE is not an option for Vista or Win7. OE only runs on XP.

If you've read any of the articles or support comments on Windows 8, it also is not capable of running OE. In fact, for all practical purposes the mail app (included with Win8) is more closely related to the Windows Phone 7 app than any previous MSFT email client.

Additionally in the current release of Windows 8 Consumer Preview the only available account setup options are Hotmail, Gmail, and Exchange Server (and no POP3 or IMAP support). Windows 8 RTM (available to the public in late Oct. 2012 also support IMAP, but as of RTM release to the OEMs in Aug. 2012, it does not support POP3).

With Win8 on the horizon (including resources and development directed/focused on Win8), it would appear that future updates to resolve any issues in Windows Live Mail (WLM) are unlikely to happen (the last update was QFE3/March 2012).  I.e. WLM, like OE achieves 'legacy' status and wysiwyg thus other work-arounds presented earlier in this thread maybe be/are the only options available.

...winston
    MSFT MVP Live Mail

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:37 PM
  • G Winston was correct. Notice with the new Outlook there are no problems forwarding emails with embedded pictures. So Microsoft just strung us along for a year and a half instead of saying " because of new Windows 8 release and restructuring of email we will not address or correct this problem at this time". That answer would have not satisfied me either but at least we would have known where we stood on the matter and stopped wasting out time looking for a solution. Thanks Microsoft!
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:24 PM
  • @all

It's important to not confuse Windows Live Mail (version 2009, 2011, 2012) a desktop email, news, contact and calendar client with the **new Outlook*. The latter is a web interface (Outlook.com) which replaces the Hotmail web interface.

The inability to forward an email with embedded pictures and the reasons were explained in this thread over a year ago (that same applies to any email client including Win8's mail app)....the Windows 8 release is not relevant.

While WLM 2012 was released as a component of Windows Essentials 2012 (WE12)...a later release does not guarantee fixes of feature improvements...in the case of WE12 - WLM, WLMsgr, WLWriter feature wise are identical to WLM11 initially released in 2010 also (about 6 months prior to the first post in this thread) with only Photo Gallery/Movie Maker updated and rebranded (dropping the 'Live' brand name).

When application software goes into legacy mode it's common for development to cease on that application (except for under-the-hood updates usually taking the form of security, chipset, o/s compatibility, quick fix engineering) in favor of the next and later applications (in the case of WLM - the Windows 8 mail app - a desktop app with syncable features for Hotmail, GMail, IMAP, and Exchange).  Another example is XP/IE Outlook Express and Vista's Windows Mail (XP's continues to survive with a product life cycle ending in April 2014, yet OE development ceased over 6yrs ago, likewise the same applies to Windows Mail (development also ceasing at the same point in time).

The Windows Live Mail forum and support for same can be found here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail

For the last year and half (and even longer) this forum has not been the official voice of anyone from MSFT thus it would be improper to look for any official answer here in this forum even more so since the title of this defunct forum is Live Writer.  Coincidentally, the Live Writer forum (for help and support) is also located on Answers.Microsoft.Com) http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/writer

If anyone is having problems with either, it would be prudent to post your questions and comments in the correct forum if you wish to be heard by Microsoft....this forum is **not** being monitored like Answers.

...winston
    MSFT MVP Live Mail

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:32 AM