Can two version of CRM (4 & 3) coexist in the same domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Working with a customer who has CRM 3.0 deployed but is looking to upgrade.  They have a large number of users so the "in place" upgrade is really not an option.

Ideally, they'd like to install, configure and "slowly" migrate data and users on to a new CRM 4.0 install on the same domain.

Would like to know if both versions can "coexist" or does the installation force you to upgrade?

Basically one server with both CRM 4.0 and 3.0?  (not likely we'll go with this approach) or

A new server with CRM 4.0 (pointing to the same SQL box and reporting services box)?

Comments or suggesions.

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:07 PM

Answers

• You could have the 2 CRM servers in the same AD, but you will only be able to get them to use the same SQL server and/or reporting services instance if the CRM organisation names are different.

I have to say I'd see major data problems with running 2 parallel CRM organisations, as there is no simple way to move data across from one to another

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

• Better is do upgradation, its not supported having both versions on same server.

I suggest use test server to crm 4.0 upgradation and then use Deployment manager to test to production.

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:34 PM
  •  

In theory, yes, you could have 3+4 existing in the same domain, the only thing you'd have to be careful of is the active directory groups that would be shared between the two installations.  If you had different users on each server you could possibly run into problems, but it's unlikely.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 2:18 PM
  • You could have the 2 CRM servers in the same AD, but you will only be able to get them to use the same SQL server and/or reporting services instance if the CRM organisation names are different.

I have to say I'd see major data problems with running 2 parallel CRM organisations, as there is no simple way to move data across from one to another

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:43 PM
  • You could use the redeployment tool and redeploy the existing 3.0 to a new application server and upgrade that to 4.0.

Users could all be mapped as is and they can access the exisitng 3.0 and the 4.0 simultaneously via IE.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:48 PM