With Onecare being phased out and my subscription good till RRS feed

• Question

• May 2010, and windows 7 coming out in November then i should skip windows 7 because you obviously don't plan to support Onecare on Windows 7 do you?

Monday, June 29, 2009 5:37 PM

Answers

• The replacement for OneCare is a free anti-malware only product called Microsoft Security Essentials which won't contain the backup, firewall or hub features.  It is currently being beta tested and will be released in time for Windows 7, though it will also support Windows Vista and XP.

Since the security of Windows 7 is much better than XP to begin with, there's really no need for an add-on firewall and backup similar to OneCare's is also included, so it may be a good option if you're already considering a new PC or even an upgrade to the operating system.

Rob

Monday, June 29, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• The replacement for OneCare is a free anti-malware only product called Microsoft Security Essentials which won't contain the backup, firewall or hub features.  It is currently being beta tested and will be released in time for Windows 7, though it will also support Windows Vista and XP.

Since the security of Windows 7 is much better than XP to begin with, there's really no need for an add-on firewall and backup similar to OneCare's is also included, so it may be a good option if you're already considering a new PC or even an upgrade to the operating system.

Rob

Monday, June 29, 2009 5:49 PM

Rob

I am using windows Vista.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Rob - I'm a little confused by the answer. Your first paragraph said MSE will not contain the backup, but your second said "... backup similar to OneCare's is also included".

Did you mean that Windows 7 will contain a backup similar to OneCare's?

If it does, can you tell me if the Windows 7 version will be able to restore from a OneCare backup?

Thanks!

Ian
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Rob - I'm a little confused by the answer. Your first paragraph said MSE will not contain the backup, but your second said "... backup similar to OneCare's is also included".

Did you mean that Windows 7 will contain a backup similar to OneCare's?

If it does, can you tell me if the Windows 7 version will be able to restore from a OneCare backup?

Thanks!

Ian
    Ian,

Yes, Windows 7 will include its own backup program that operates in a similar manner, though it isn't driectly compatible with the Onecare backup.

The best way to handle this would probably be to use the Windows 7 tools to migrate all your data to the new operating system and/or PC, then use the Windows 7 backup in the future.

Of course, this won't help if you really need access to older OneCare backups.  Though we're not aware yet if there will be something provided to allow for this, I personally wouldn't hold my breath.  The most probable situation I expect is what I described above, though I could be surprised.  There are ways to manually access the OneCare Backup data, but they are somewhat messy and technically complex.

Rob
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:05 AM