none
Trying to get new load of WHS (original version) to import data from old drives RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to reinstall WHS and get it to see my old WHS data drives and import that data into the new load. I thought this was possible but it does not seem to know they are old WHS drives with data on them and I don't want to loose all my data. I lost a couple drives which really screwed things up and messed up the backup database. It can't seem to repair itself so I am trying to install all over and import the old data from my shared folders. I though that the data drives had markers or tombstones to make this possible. If add the drives it will erase the data and not import it. The backup database is not very robust. It works fine till it does not. It can't seem to repair itself. It also won't let me delete the old backup data so it just spins its wheels. I still have the original boot drive intact. I may have to put it back in and try to get it to repair the database or go in and delete anything with a .dat extension. The shared folders are duplicated and are not compressed so getting rid of the .dat files should not cause me to loose data other than backups. I have a lot of stuff backed up and don't want to loose anything. Would upgrading to WHS 2011 do anything to help. I could manually copy stuff but windows copy utilities are not good for really large transfers of data (I can't really understand why).

Perry

Perry

Sunday, September 27, 2015 10:58 PM

All replies

• Try this FAQ to see if it helps - I wouldn't worry how long it takes to copy valuable data if it is safe: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f/how-to-recover-data-after-server-failure?forum=whsfaq

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, September 28, 2015 12:44 AM
  • I was trying to avoid manually copying the disks to the server. It seems that even when you do a re installation that it still won't recognize the disks. Even if it could get usable data from the boot drive it seems to just copy over it during installation process. I have seen no option to search for orphaned WHS disks. How is it supposed to recognize those old data disks?

Perry

Perry

Monday, September 28, 2015 1:44 AM
  • If the automated discovery of previous installations does not work, there is no other way, than backing up the data first and copy it back later after the server has been fresh installed and patched again. Recommendation would be to buy one new harddisk and have only this in the server during installation to keep the data protected from unintended overwriting.

But sure, you have a current backup anyway? (Your box could catch fire, hit by overvoltage, be stolen ...)

Regarding deletion of backup database in WHS v.1 - this could be done manually:

Login via Remote Desktop to your server (user name Administrator, password the console password).

• Open a cmd prompt.
    • Enter following commands:

net stop PDL
    net stop WHSBACKUP

• Delete all files in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.
    • Reboot the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:03 AM
  • I will try to delete the backups and maybe I can get my original install to work. I think it is trying to repair a very fragmented backup database and it can't.This drive is 6 yrs old and it probably on borrowed time so I guess I will clone it to a new drive if I get it working.

I also found out that you can't do a fresh install on a 2T HD. It can't partition one that big but it can take a data drive that size. I have two brand new 2T HD but can't use them as boot drives. These are WD Black Series which is the only thing I will run in a server. I have some Blue series drives that are smaller but I don't trust them as much as the Black series of drives.

Perry

Perry

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Designed for NASs I know but I use WD Red drives in my servers.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:50 PM
  • I was able to delete the backup database following your instructions and it seems to have worked. My boot drive is failing and the data partition associated with it. I tried to clone to another 1T disk and it does not recognize the data partition but it does boot up. Is there a way I can fool it into thinking it is the same disk as the original? If I add the disk, it will delete the data and I will be in the same boat.

Thanks

Perry

Perry

Saturday, October 3, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Can't figure out how to clone a new boot drive and still retain the data that is in the data partition on that boot drive. I was going to copy the files manually but it would not let me.

Perry

Perry

Sunday, October 4, 2015 6:58 PM