Critical Alert Once More RRS feed

• Question

• This morning I checked WHS 2011. As usual, there were no Alerts showing externally. I had to go into WHS and look at the Dashboard to see what's going on.

ComputerCare7 (the server) is showing a Critical Alert! When I checked the Alert, I'm informed that "Errors exist in a client computer backup." and that I can't backup again until this is fixed.

In checking backups, I see that ComputerCare7 hasn't backed up since yesterday, 3/5. I checked ComputerCare-D and Netty. Both had successful backups on 3/6 which is per normal.

Now, with nothing more than this to go on, I'm supposed to do a "Repair". On which client? What if I had two more clients (which I have neglected to add to WHS 2011)? How am I supposed to figure this out with no more than this to go on?

So, I figure that I may be able to find the culprit amongst the clients by starting a manual backup. No dice; both give me the same error that there's a problem in the client computer database. Well, duh! Which one, Iggy!?

So, maybe they're bumping into each other because the backup times are identical? I have changed Netty to backup at 3:00 AM instead of 12:00 AM. We'll see if that might help.

In the meantime, I'm going to do the standard repair on ComputerCare-D once more.

I hate to harp on it, but how would the home user know all this without the experience I've gained through this beta testing? When I looked into "Help" not only was it confusing, but the few places I found that might apply were empty of information. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:51 PM

All replies

• On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:51:54 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

So, I figure that I may be able to find the culprit amongst the clients by starting a manual backup. No dice; both give me the same error that there's a problem in the client computer database. Well, duh! Which one, Iggy!?

Regardless of how many clients you have being backed up there is only a
    single client backup database. The message is pretty self explanatory, not
    sure why you think you need to perform a repair on the client itself when
    the message explicitly states that you need to repair the client computer
    backup database.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/c39075e9-f401-4dfa-8e9b-69ac11c80b67#da345822-8b23-4b5a-bcaf-7cc5aa145c2d

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    I bet the human brain is a kludge.  -- Marvin Minsky

Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I'd be more interested in why you keep having backup issues or broken databases.  I have been backing up three different computers since RC install without any errors at all.  So there's something going on with your setup or hardware.
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Have you been changing backup times for these clients? I have 3 Clients that backup each night and haven't had any issues, I have not changed backup times. They all get backed up within the default time that is set as default.

--
    Don
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:19 PM
  • >Regardless of how many clients you have being backed up there is only a
    single client backup database. The message is pretty self explanatory, not
    sure why you think you need to perform a repair on the client itself when
    the message explicitly states that you need to repair the client computer
    backup database.

Could it possibly be because I see: "Errors exist in a client computer backup (note the singular)." and "The repair tool attempts to repair your client computer backups (note the plural) if they (note again, plural) become unusable?" Also note that I included the correct phraseology from the actual message produced by WHS 2011. Is it so amazing that confusion sets in early on?

So, although there may be only one client backup database, clearly, there is more than one client computer backup. Which contributes mightily to the confusion.

Regardless of how I say it, my confusion with contradictory statements by WHS really doesn't matter; the fact remains that there's only one way to do a backup repair. And I'm pretty sure folks here can get around my confusion without . . .

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Have you been changing backup times for these clients? I have 3 Clients that backup each night and haven't had any issues, I have not changed backup times. They all get backed up within the default time that is set as default.

Both were never changed until I changed backup time for Netty this morning on the off chance there might be a conflict, since backup for both was set to be 12:00 to 1:00 in the AM. Netty is now set up for backup at 3:00 AM.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:08 PM
  • These computers are all "wired" not "wireless"?

--
    Don
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:24 PM
  • >These computers are all "wired" not "wireless"?

ComputerCare-D is wired, but Netty is wireless.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:39 PM
  • I have my home network setup for "wired" even with the Laptop at night. Pure speculation but I would get it wired, do a backup of it and see where it goes from there.

In the original version of Vail there were a lot of conversations going around about this, wireless, you might find more information.

I am currently changing some things around in the network with the "wireless" side and see if I can reproduce this error.

--
    Don
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 8:20 PM
  • I have my home network setup for "wired" even with the Laptop at night. Pure speculation but I would get it wired, do a backup of it and see where it goes from there.

Since Netty wasn't set up when the first "backup error" occurred, I'm inclined to think she's not the problem, wired or not. :)

In the original version of Vail there were a lot of conversations going around about this, wireless, you might find more information.

I know the server must be wired. I guess I didn't pay enough attention, because I musta thunk they were talking about the server not being wired. Or something like that; as has been pointed out, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. <Don't mean I can't draw blood, though.> <giggle>

I am currently changing some things around in the network with the "wireless" side and see if I can reproduce this error.

I wouldn't spend too much time on this one, Don, since the last message from the Team (about my bug) said,

"Thank you very much for submitting feedback to us via Connect. Your input is very valuable to us. We are aware of this particular issue you reported and it is already being tracked in our system. The feature team is doing their best to address it.

"Best wishes,
    "Windows Home and Small Business Server Team"

So for now I'm just going to rock on like I have been doing. I'm not gonna worry about it overly much.

I now have two new 1 TB drives I'll hook up if we get a new RC. Those will go for external backup of the server if they ever get it working right. Right now, it seems that it will work properly for some and throw errors for others.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 11:32 PM
  • "I wouldn't spend too much time on this one"

I'm not really, doing other testing with the laptop and this just kinda fell in there.

I will be doing another server restore soon with some things that I changed and more data than before. I plan on simulating a drive failure on top of that and see how far I can go with it.

--
    Don
    Monday, March 7, 2011 12:32 AM