Product key replacement RRS feed

• Question

• My computer had a failure and would not start up. A friend found out that the mother board burned up. He built me another computer and used the old hard drive, but had to re format it to work with the new mother board. but to get the old hard drive to work it had to be re-formated so,He loaded in HIS NEW copy of windows XP and had to use the product key that came with it . I called for help to get a replacement key for his disk and was told to get the disk and call back and get a new key. I did this within 30 min. and then was told that they would not replace the key. the reason was that if the mother board fails and you replace it it is now a NEW computer and the old product key is no longer valid. Were we not told when we buy xp the key would be good for ever????
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:47 AM Moved to correct category. (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:24 AM

Answers

• Hello FLA BOB,

We have been getting allot of Licensing Questions in the WGA forums.  We are not Licensing Experts and if you have any questions regarding what you were told about Motherboards and Product Keys, please refer those questions to the people that told you that information or refer to the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for your Microsoft software.

If you have an issue related to a WGA Genuine/Non-Genuine issue, please don't hesitate to post. Otherwise I will be closing this thread as answered.

Sorry i couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hello FLA BOB,

When it came time to install XP on your newly assembled computer, what was the reason why you could not use your CD and Product Key to install XP on the computer?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Hello FLA BOB,

We have been getting allot of Licensing Questions in the WGA forums.  We are not Licensing Experts and if you have any questions regarding what you were told about Motherboards and Product Keys, please refer those questions to the people that told you that information or refer to the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for your Microsoft software.

If you have an issue related to a WGA Genuine/Non-Genuine issue, please don't hesitate to post. Otherwise I will be closing this thread as answered.

Sorry i couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:43 PM