IBM Server. Hope it will work... RRS feed

• Question

• I am running an

IBM Netfinity Server

512 MB RAM

(2) 400mhz Pentium II Processors.  (Slot 1)

Servraid SCSI Controller

(3) 37Gig 10,000 rpm SCSI (Raid 5)  (68 Gig Total Raid sizing)

(2) 4 Gig 7200rpm SCSI (Raid 1) (4 Gig Raid Sized)

I had been running Small Business Server on it.   We decided to move to a new server and I took this one home.    I am wondering how well Home Server will work.  

Small Business 2003 worked perfect.   Not slow or anything..   It ran an FTP, and HTTP server.

Had some other minor things running.. So I am hoping this will be the perfect home for it.

What do you think???

EDITED DRIVE SIZES (Total after Raid sizing)

EDITED Processor speed from 200 to 400.   Was incorrect.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:03 AM

All replies

• See here for the minimum hardware requirements. I guess it all depends on how much storage you need. In my Opinion, I would go nothing less than 500G. My previous WHS, I had IBM Xseries with Dual Xeon processors with 2x80G SCSI. The SCSI is way too expensive for me to replace it. 

You might want to rethink of RAID because of WHS Drive Extender. But it's all up to you. Here is some docs from WHS...

Windows Home Server includes a revolutionary new storage technology that provides the reliability benefits of RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) with the ability to use internal and/or external hard drives of varying sizes for additional storage

Why is this better than RAID solutions?

• Any hard drive, any time. You are not restricted to simply adding more hard drives of the same type and size. When you want to grow your home server storage, you just buy whatever hard drive you like and add it.
    • Internal and external hard drives can be used to grow your storage. No space in your home computer case? No problem, plug in one or more USB 2.0 or FireWire hard drives.
    • Drive removal, as explained above. As your system gets crufty, it will be important to remove the older smaller hard drives and put in new larger hard drives so you can store more stuff.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:10 AM
  • I am finding that due to the WINPE that is being used, some of the older servers will not boot to this software.

I know that Server2003 works well on this machine and I know that IF they had a loader simular to the older versions, then most of us would have no problems loading it on machines that are more then capable of handling it, but due to technology changes to bootloading, and lack of support upgrades via IBM, these machines will be rendered useless.

I am going to find a way to get the server software to load on this machine.   I am not sure how yet, but in time, I can see this being a very valuable peice of software.

I am currently running it on a desktop PC running :

Intel DUO 2.8Ghz processor. (Dual Channel)

1 Gig RAM

250Gb SATA 1.5 Hard Drive

16X DVD Writer DL

52X CD-RW

22" Widescreen LCD

It works great with some minor issues I can not work out yet. (Connector from laptop refuses to log into it.)

Let me know if there is a workaround to this.  (WINPE 2)

James

Monday, April 23, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Please post back here if you find a way.  I'm stuck in the same position -- I've got a Dell PE 2400, and it's a no-go for me.  I logged a support issue a while back, and they just marked it closed - can't reproduce.  I think that's shorthand for "we don't have any Dell PE-2400's here".  If I find a cheap IDE card, I might try to use that to boot the DVD, since part of the problem in my case (I believe) is that *all* of my drives (including DVD) are SATA drives.  Maybe that's the part they didn't reproduce...

Monday, April 23, 2007 10:30 PM