Vista and the BS activation RRS feed

• Question

• Ok my legal copy of Vista home is active  as far as my control panel shows .

But when I go to update it says I have to activate it . So I go to the genuine Windows

page and run the validation it comes back with :

Windows must be activated before validation can determine if this copy of Windows is genuine.

Ok now we are running around with WGA tag.

I contacted Micosoft about and they said they would lookinto it that was a week ago.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:00 PM

Answers

• I had the exact same thing happen:

in the run box type slui.exe 4 and follow the instructions to activate by fone. after i did this it validated OK

Maybe it will work for you

Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:05 PM

All replies

• I had the exact same thing happen:

in the run box type slui.exe 4 and follow the instructions to activate by fone. after i did this it validated OK

Maybe it will work for you

Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:05 PM
  • If your System Properties window is showing that you're activated and online validation says you're not, please:

1. Phone activate and speak with a support agent when you’re given the option.  You can start by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter. Follow the prompts through phone activation (be ready for lots of numbers) and then reboot.  The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

2. Once you're done, please revalidate by clicking on "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

After you've validated successfully you can log out and log back in or reboot to get rid of any non-genuine messaging you may be getting.

If you’ve tried phone activation and you're still reaching the same validation failure page (with error code 0xC004C4A6), please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and post your confirmation number here.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue. 

If you're not in the US, please also post the name of the support agent who contacts you by e-mail once you've made the free service request.

Thank you!

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:43 PM
  • >"I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue."

It would be enormously helpful inmho to enhance a KB article or an online help stub ("troubleshoot activation problems") listing the most common reported and resolved causes of validation issues.

----------------------------

I realize these articles historically are intentionally vague to cover a lot of ground, but you already have very specific issues you could list covering certain versions of software, which you enumerate at the top of the forum.

My historic "you're not valid/etc" never has a chance to have an error code, it's "do something now" or be logged off.

I have gotten into such  a bad habit of ignoring it and just pressing Reset I may never know the (past) specific cause of my "issue" (aka "spurious failures are hard to troubleshoot")   

PS sorry 'bout the HTML, I don't see the "plain text" button.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 3:13 PM
  • I now think I know at least one reason the wga revokes genuine-ness (genuinicity?)

In the "My computer"-"properties" is a pretty brand-logo if you bought your computer from a major store, but nothing if you built it.

Several articles including one somewhere at microsoft tell builders how to insert a logo properly, and there is a shortcut method that edits registry keys directly into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation.

Doing that today inserted a logo, and the subsequent erasing of the added key "Logo=C:\Windows...."

(putting it back to the way it was),

triggered the validation request. Which I did. (twice).

Haven't rebooted yet, apparently until I do I'm invalid. 

Without any error codes as proof it's gonna sound like a UFO report, so most of you ignore this, but for some it might be one more reason to add to the list.

I've successfuly acquired my genuine ticket, my genuine state has been set to genuine, I'm just not actually valid yet. 

I'll reboot now.

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:53 AM