Flagging a missed Date on a task RRS feed

• Question

• I want to compare my Finished Date (Finish) to the Date originally committed  (I Created a date field column Committed Date).

Basically, If the Finish date is larger than the committed date then it should Flag with a Red dot.

The formula I use is 

IIf([Date1]<[Finish],1,0)

This does flag the dates if the Finish date is larger than the Committed date (Date1), But it also now Flags the dates where the the Finish = Committed Date(Date1). How do I get it to only flag it if the Finish date is Larger / More than the committed date (Date1).

PLEASE HELP

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:41 PM

Answers

• Corne1222,

John has given you some expert advice regarding use of baselines.  I implement baselines in my projects, but there are cases where a Commitment date and a Baseline date are quite different.

On the outside chance this applies to you, then your formula could be improved as follows:

IIf(DateValue([Date1])<DateValue([Finish]),"Yes","No")

By default, dates that are manually entered into one of the custom "Date" fields include a time extension corresponding to the default start time value for the project, e.g. 08:00 AM.  Your finish dates will typically include time extension corresponding to the default end time for the project, e.g. 5:00 PM.  The DateValue functions strip out these time extensions and does away with the extra red dots.

good luck, tom 

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Corne1222 Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:16 AM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:16 PM

All replies

• Corne1222,

It sounds like you are not familiar with setting a baseline in Project because what you want (and a whole lot more) is already available, if a baseline is set.

The idea behind setting a baseline is to capture major data elements of the original plan before execution begins. Once a plan is started and updated to reflect reality, several fields and views can be used to compare the current plan to the original. The specific metric you are seeking is the Finish Variance field.

You can still set a baseline even if execution of your plan has already begun. You just won't have a comparison basis for any tasks that are already complete and only a partial comparison of tasks in progress but not yet complete. To set a baseline go to Project > Schedule group > Set Baseline.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Corne1222,

John has given you some expert advice regarding use of baselines.  I implement baselines in my projects, but there are cases where a Commitment date and a Baseline date are quite different.

On the outside chance this applies to you, then your formula could be improved as follows:

IIf(DateValue([Date1])<DateValue([Finish]),"Yes","No")

By default, dates that are manually entered into one of the custom "Date" fields include a time extension corresponding to the default start time value for the project, e.g. 08:00 AM.  Your finish dates will typically include time extension corresponding to the default end time for the project, e.g. 5:00 PM.  The DateValue functions strip out these time extensions and does away with the extra red dots.

good luck, tom 

• Edited by Tom BoyleBPC Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Corne1222 Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:16 AM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:16 PM
  • Hi Tom

Thank you so much, That did the trick.

John, thanks for the Advice, i will set the baseline going forward.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:11 AM
  • Corne1222,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, November 9, 2017 3:25 PM