none
Don't like this "enhancement" - (GMT +nnn and a description of the time zone)

Question

• I haven't seen this before so I suspect it's new.

Now whenever there is a list for a forum giving information on when a thread was started it says something like this

by ted_2 on Tue Jun 17 2008 17:43:46 GMT+0300 (Eastern Europe Daylight Time)

similarly if I make an Edit, the edit is marked as Editted by Mike Walsh MVP at (for example) Tue Jun 17 2008 17:43:46 GMT+0300 (Eastern Europe Daylight Time)

--------------------------

I find this is completely unnecessary because I know full well which time zone I am in and that it is at the moment GMT+3. 

However the main annoyance is the description. I live in *Northern* Europe and whereas my time zone (normal time is GMT+2) is the same as that for some other countries, some of which even today may regard themselves as being in Eastern Europe (although I doubt if that is the case with the Baltic countries), there is no need to force that description on me. It adds NOTHING and is at the very least annoying and quite possibly offensive. 

So why don't you just drop it ?

By all means keep the GMT+3 (but make sure you change it when summer time is over), but even that adds nothing because it's obvious that the times of posting are those of my time zone. (Which when I specify it in Vista/XPPro does not make me choose "Eastern Europe" but let's me select Helsinki !)

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:53 PM spelling
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:14 PM

All replies

• Mike, that wasn't intentional I don't believe. Could you point me at a URL where I can see this, and I'll make sure it's recorded as a bug?

Thanks
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Actually, I think this is rendered by the browser (though I'll certainly look into if our code around this changed). What browser are you using? Has that changed?

Thanks
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:24 PM
  • That's an interesting observation.

As a result of your moving the "see Fred's threads" to a different location (with presumably different code behind it), it no longer worked in IE7, so I was *forced* to move to a browser that did allow me to see Fred's threads. 

Just because of a feeling of "wouldn't it be funny if this worked in Chrome" I tried that. I could see Fred's threads OK so I started using that instead for the forums.

A quick check with IE7 shows that you are right and that IE7 does not give this additional and irritating information.

It also shows that whatever error IE7 was throwing up when accessing Fred's threads has vanished so I can go back to using that.

I still think a look at the code might not be wrong....
    Friday, September 12, 2008 4:47 AM