Reinstalled and shares are empty but files are in c:\fs RRS feed

• Question

• My system drive died so I put in a brand new one. I booted the whs pp3 disk and chose Reinstall server. Everything seemed to be going fine and I saw "recovering data" message later in the setup. When everything was done I saw that all my shares were empty. The pie chart in the connector says 3.4TB taken up by SYSTEM. So my files are not gone only tagged as system. I can see all my files under the mounted drives in c:\fs.

So the question is how do I get them back to my shares?

Monday, May 17, 2010 3:44 AM

All replies

• My system drive died so I put in a brand new one. I booted the whs pp3 disk and chose Reinstall server. Everything seemed to be going fine and I saw "recovering data" message later in the setup. When everything was done I saw that all my shares were empty. The pie chart in the connector says 3.4TB taken up by SYSTEM. So my files are not gone only tagged as system. I can see all my files under the mounted drives in c:\fs.

So the question is how do I get them back to my shares?

You should try another Server Reinstallation (and make sure all of your drives are visible on the Load Additional Storage Drivers window).  And, if you have to add drivers in order to have all of the drives show up, you might also need to provide the drivers a second time during the text portion of the install (which requires a floppy disk).  Or, just set your SATA controller to IDE/Legacy mode and you won't need to supply drivers at all.

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:04 AM
  • I loaded the drivers and it found all my drives. The installation went on as normal. But the problem remains.

I tried to move a couple of files from C:\FS to d:\shares. Now I can see those files in my shares.

If this way doesn't make a mess of everything maybe I'll move all my files if there isn't a quicker way.

Any ideas?

Edit:

After hours of searching in the forum I found this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/7b8350e5-6789-4189-a05e-0c32cfce2b2b

I have the same problem as the user in that thread. It seems that the restoration did not complete and the files got stuck in \DE\Folders\{GUID}\Shares

Monday, May 17, 2010 11:25 PM
  • I loaded the drivers and it found all my drives. The installation went on as normal. But the problem remains.

I tried to move a couple of files from C:\FS to d:\shares. Now I can see those files in my shares.

If this way doesn't make a mess of everything maybe I'll move all my files if there isn't a quicker way.

Any ideas?

Edit:

After hours of searching in the forum I found this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/7b8350e5-6789-4189-a05e-0c32cfce2b2b

I have the same problem as the user in that thread. It seems that the restoration did not complete and the files got stuck in \DE\Folders\{GUID}\Shares

You shouldn't copy/move anything to D:\shares.  You should always use the UNC path (\\server\[sharename]) (or, at the very least, \\localhost\[sharename]).  Also, is the GUID {1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}?  If so, that's where WHS puts files that are "orphaned" during a Reinstallation.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Thanks. I just started copying everything now to \\server\[sharename].

And the GUID is just like you said, {1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:44 PM