none
Can you sell a PC with a "Volume License" version of Windows XP Professional? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the position of advising someone who wants to sell a used computer with Windows XP Professional installed.  He mentions that it has a licensed copy of XP Pro with a VLK on it.  I have had trouble finding a copy of the EULA online & to complicate matters I believe there are several different types of Volume License Agreements.  From what he tells me he has an "Open License" where he purchased 20 licenses some time ago.

It's my understanding that as a general rule Volume licenses are tied to the organization with the Volume license Agreement & as such the sale of a system with a Volume license would be a violation of the EULA.

Can anyone confirm this & perhaps point me to an online location of the EULA for XP Volume Licensing?

Thanks in advance.

~Dave

Edit to clarify that it's a "used" computer.

Second edit to add that it's probably an "Open License"
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:35 PM

Answers

• A Volume License is non-transferrable.  A VL license belongs to the company or organization that origanally purchases the VL license.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:14 AM

All replies

• A Volume License is non-transferrable.  A VL license belongs to the company or organization that origanally purchases the VL license.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:14 AM
  • What about an "Open License" Agreement license?

He tells me that he purchased a 20 License "Open License" Agreement & is only using 12 of them.

Questions:
    • Is this an upgrade license only, as research I've done seesm to indicate?
    • Are the licenses transferable?
    • If so, what are the requirements?
    ~Dave
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:06 AM
  • Dave Sparks,

Carey already posted that Volume Licenses are NOT transferrable outside of the purchasing organization.

Since Volume Licenses are upgrades only, it would make sense to "un-upgrade" it, put the original OS back on, and then the computer can be sold with the operating system that formed the basis of the upgrade, which in most cases would be evidenced by the Certificate of Authenticity for an OEM installation of Windows.

Does the computer have a CoA on it for some version of Windows?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:32 PM
  • The owner of the "Open License" is an idividual, not an organization.

I am not able to view the systems, I'm corresponding with the person interested in selling the systems by email, but I don't believe there is a COA for any version of Windows on the case.

I believe I have the confirmation I needed.  I had already advised him against selling the systems with his Open License version of Windows XP Pro installed.  In his particular case I think he'd be best selling them without an installation of Windows, or with an alternative OS installed.

I will so advise him.

Thank you for your answers.

~Dave
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:13 PM