Remote access question RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've just finished setting up my windows home server and want to be able to Remote acces it from outside of my home, but i've just found out that my internet provider is blocking port 80 and port 443. So it doesn't work. Actually all ports under 1024 are blocked.

I figure there must be a way to work around this problem and be able to use all functionality of my Windows home server.

Can I change these default ports? Wich ones should I use and how can I change them ?

Please advise on what I can do to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You would need to change the settings in which IIS (the web server program on your WHS) listens for incoming web requests. Currently 80 & 443. You will need to go in to Start, Programs, Administrative Tools (on your WHS) and Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.Right click on Default Website and choose properties. Change the ports to some that are not in use and that your ISP does not block. YOu will need to program your router manually to forward these ports to your server. If you are not sure, I would change your ISP!

Hope that helps a bit.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:53 PM