none
EX470 performance is poor RRS feed

• Question

• The Windows Home Server Console is running poorly. It can take several minutes to perform the most basic task, such as bringing up the server's storage display.

I imagine that I only have two options here:

1) Upgrade the server's RAM
    2) Get a new server that has more RAM and a better processor

Even with adding more RAM to my current server, I understand that it may not run PP3 very well. Which would be the better choice for me? If a new server would be the better option, then how would I go about migrating my current backup data and files to the new server?

Thanks for your advice.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 2:08 AM

Answers

• The Windows Home Server Console is running poorly. It can take several minutes to perform the most basic task, such as bringing up the server's storage display.

Even with adding more RAM to my current server, I understand that it may not run PP3 very well. Which would be the better choice for me? If a new server would be the better option, then how would I go about migrating my current backup data and files to the new server?

Thanks for your advice.
    The EX47x only came with 512 MB of RAM (the absolute minimum for WHS).  Typically, if you have nothing else installed on it, the performance is manageable.  Otherwise, you need to add RAM.  (That's why the newer EX48x series servers have 2 GB of RAM.)  However, adding RAM to it is not anywhere near as simple as a traditional PC (due to the way the case is designed).  There are numerous websites that give detailed descriptions of what's involved in upgrading the RAM in those units.  As for which way to go, it's up to you.

As for migrating your data, the best option would be to backup your data using the server backup option included with PP1, then restore your data to your new server using the same tool.  The other way would be to connect each drive to a client and copy the data across the network to your new server.  See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details (and even though your situation is different, the steps involved are the same).
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Will Diaz Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:31 PM
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:02 AM
  • @Scuba Pro
    I have 512 RAM and five hard drives (one external). I haven't RDCed into the server in a long time, so I couldn't tell you if the drives are very fragmented. I don't have anti-virus running.

@kariya21
    I wouldn't exactly call its performance  manageable, since it typically takes two minutes for the console to react to any mouse clicks. It frequently locks up as well. PV Connect is the only add-in that is running, and I wouldn't mind turning it off (I'm not sure how to do that though).

As I said, it's manageable if nothing else is running (well, so I've heard anyway).  PV Connect is running, so your performance drop is probably due to that.  I personally don't use an HP MSS (I built my own server), but I would assume you could uninstall the add-in (just like any other add-in).

I've seen the guides for upgrading the RAM. I'm usually not afraid to get inside of a computer, but I'm very wary about getting into the server.

I guess I will try dealing with the RAM first, since it is the cheaper of the two solutions.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:01 PM

All replies

• What is the total amount of ram you currently have?
    How many hard drives have you got?
    Have the hard drives become very fragmented and needing a defrag?
    Have you an Anti virus program that is set to scan every time you access the hard drives?
    I have a intel P4 with just 1gb of ram 3 hard drives amount to 1tb.  My system is the fasted but it is not slow.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 3:15 AM

Thanks for your advice.
    The EX47x only came with 512 MB of RAM (the absolute minimum for WHS).  Typically, if you have nothing else installed on it, the performance is manageable.  Otherwise, you need to add RAM.  (That's why the newer EX48x series servers have 2 GB of RAM.)  However, adding RAM to it is not anywhere near as simple as a traditional PC (due to the way the case is designed).  There are numerous websites that give detailed descriptions of what's involved in upgrading the RAM in those units.  As for which way to go, it's up to you.

As for migrating your data, the best option would be to backup your data using the server backup option included with PP1, then restore your data to your new server using the same tool.  The other way would be to connect each drive to a client and copy the data across the network to your new server.  See the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure for details (and even though your situation is different, the steps involved are the same).
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Sunday, September 20, 2009 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will Diaz Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Will Diaz Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:31 PM
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:02 AM
  • @Scuba Pro
    I have 512 RAM and five hard drives (one external). I haven't RDCed into the server in a long time, so I couldn't tell you if the drives are very fragmented. I don't have anti-virus running.

@kariya21
    I wouldn't exactly call its performance  manageable, since it typically takes two minutes for the console to react to any mouse clicks. It frequently locks up as well. PV Connect is the only add-in that is running, and I wouldn't mind turning it off (I'm not sure how to do that though). I've seen the guides for upgrading the RAM. I'm usually not afraid to get inside of a computer, but I'm very wary about getting into the server.

I guess I will try dealing with the RAM first, since it is the cheaper of the two solutions.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:43 PM
  • @Scuba Pro

@kariya21
    I wouldn't exactly call its performance  manageable, since it typically takes two minutes for the console to react to any mouse clicks. It frequently locks up as well. PV Connect is the only add-in that is running, and I wouldn't mind turning it off (I'm not sure how to do that though).

As I said, it's manageable if nothing else is running (well, so I've heard anyway).  PV Connect is running, so your performance drop is probably due to that.  I personally don't use an HP MSS (I built my own server), but I would assume you could uninstall the add-in (just like any other add-in).

I've seen the guides for upgrading the RAM. I'm usually not afraid to get inside of a computer, but I'm very wary about getting into the server.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:01 PM
  • THANK YOU

The only add-in I had installed, PVConnect, was the cause. I thought PP2 and my server's low-end specs were the cause of it all.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:31 PM