"Free Space is Low in Server Backup" - Is this right? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

This may have been covered in depth somewhere else - and I have tried to look for a solution, but if someone could point me in the right direction that would fantastic.

I currently run a server with a 250gb OS hard drive (1), 2TB backup hard drive (2), and 2TB server backup hard drive (3). At the moment, the dashboard tells me that I have 191GB free on hard drive 1, 1111.7GB free on hard drive 2, but only 87GB free on hard drive 3, with a warning that "hard disc has less than 10% free space". Is this correct? I have all the default backup settings and retention policy.  

Cheers

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:32 PM

All replies

• It's difficult to say without knowing what has been going on with data staorage. WHS will maintain multiple backups over time so the actual server backup will be bigger than the data stored on the data drives. If you have been doing a lot of copying and deleting to the data drives between server backups it will use considerably more space than the current data set (backups are incremental).

Microsoft offers this guidance:

When choosing a storage drive for your server backup, consider the following: Choose a drive that contains sufficient space to store your data. Your storage drives should contain at least 1.5 times the storage capacity of the data that you want to back up. The drives should also be large enough to accommodate the future growth of your server data.

If all the preceeding is the case, when the drive fills up older backups will be pruned to create more space - you can not control this manually. On one of my servers when my 2TB server backup filled up and was "pruned", it created around 800GB of free space.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:32 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Hi Phil

Thanks very much for the response. I haven't been doing an incredible amount of copying and deleting, though it is hard to say what is average these days.

Obviously the 2tb limit will scupper any chances of putting in a bigger drive, so I guess I will have to sit and wait and see if the pruning frees up some more room. Your particular case brings some hope to the situation!

• Edited by bobbynudd Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:28 PM
  • I have to say I was surprised how much free space was created on this occasion.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:33 PM
  • It's possible to back up a server with more than 2 TB of storage, it's just not possible to back it all up at once, or to do it seamlessly using the dashboard. Instead, you'll need to use the server backup tools that are part of the base OS, Windows Server 2008 R2. The primary tool you'll be interested in is the command line tool wbadmin. You can learn more about Windows Server 2008 R2's Server backup feature, and wbadmin, on Technet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Ok, thanks. Maybe I will have a look, but I am loathe to really fiddle around incase something stops working and I can't correct it.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:20 AM
  • This week is crunch time.. 2.3GB of free space left...
    Monday, February 27, 2012 9:45 AM
  • I am not sure if things are still ok.... At the moment, my server has 1gb free on the backup drive, but every client and the whs has green ticks indicating successful backups... Maybe the server is handling things ok afterall...
    Monday, March 19, 2012 7:03 PM