Numbering The Posts in Chronological Order ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello;

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate Forum to post my suggestion.  I hope it is!

It would be very useful if the posts in any Thread/Question are numbered, starting with the OP as # 1, for easy reference, instead of referring to a particular post by author, date, time, quote, etc.
    Some Forums and Discussion Groups have the numbers appearing at the top right corner of the post.

Any comments ??

Regards.
    Monir
    • Moved by Mike Kinsman Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:25 PM Forums Suggestion (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:52 PM

All replies

• Not a bad idea!  Moving this to the forum for Forums Feedback and Suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Thank you Mike, and sorry for the trouble of moving it.

Monir

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:31 PM
  • You should use the NNTP bridge ;) then you have a thread-view and the articles are numberd in chronological order....

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Monirg,

I'm not kind sure if you ask this, but because of the reply about the newsreader.

You can set Threaded View, it is the way I've it.

It works fine, although it becomes the same thrash as any forum thread as there are more than 5 replies in that thread.

Maybe as extension to your suggestion, it would be better in my idea if this was the default, than forums where more usable for persons who are doing more in the forums than 1 message a week.

Success
    Cor
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Cor;

Thank you for your comments.
    (By the way, where is the "Forum Preferences" located ??) 

I'm a bit surprised that my suggestion of numbering the postings (default) in a thread may represent a technical challenge to the Forum Admin or negatively viewed by some users.
    Honestly, I can't think of a single reason why it is a bad idea!! 

There're some Threads in these Forums with 10's of replies, including multiple replies by the same author on the same day.
    I still believe assigning sequential numbers to the posts (as done in other Forums/DGs) is a practical way for easy reference, but I suppose it is entirely up to the Forum Admin/MVPs.

Regards. 
    Monir
    Monday, September 5, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Cor;

Thank you for your comments.
    (By the way, where is the "Forum Preferences" located ??) 

I'm a bit surprised that my suggestion of numbering the postings (default) in a thread may represent a technical challenge to the Forum Admin or negatively viewed by some users.
    Honestly, I can't think of a single reason why it is a bad idea!! 

It is also in my perception a good suggestion. Take mySettings for the preferences. That is why probably many don't like new things, it is often done half and lead than to confusions.

Moreover it is a good idea, because the date and times are taken from Alaska time and in Alaska notation and that is not the place where most persons on earth live.

Success
    Cor
    Monday, September 5, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Thank you Cor for your prompt reply and for providing the location of the "Forum Preferences".

I checked the "Threaded List View".  Didn't notice any difference!
    That's probably because there're already 7 replies in the thread and, as you suggested earlier, the limit is 5.

Out of curiosity, I also checked "Use NNTP Bridge" under the "Forum Preferences". Nothing changed!  

Regards.
    Monir
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Out of curiosity, I also checked "Use NNTP Bridge" under the "Forum Preferences". Nothing changed!  

Regards.
    Monir

You'll need to install it, configure it, then use an NNTP client such as outlook express or windows mail was.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Dave;

OK. So to have the postings in a thread (mine or someone else) numbered, I need to download the NNTP software, install it, configure it, test it, solve possible conflicts with other software, etc.

Jochen Kalmbach suggested the same earlier (reply # ??) and provided the relevant link to the NNTP Bridge software.

It is difficult to justify the required effort as a user!
    Will continue to be content with the current format of the MS Forums and with the tremendous help you experts provide.

Monir
    Monday, September 5, 2011 9:49 PM
  • I've no idea about the numbering thing. I was just trying to fill in the blanks for you as to why nothing appeared to change. Microsoft used to have 100's of NNTP newsgoups that they discontinued a year or so ago. When they were NNTP I used to use outlook express to access them but since the transition to web forums I quit using it. There is an NNTP bridge that I think Jochen has done a lot of development on that allows you to use an NNTP client to access these forums if one wishes to do so.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, September 5, 2011 10:55 PM