Active directory DNS in Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• First off really I am probably to be considered the average WHS user, primarily using the server to store files, back-up the clients and enable remote access to my pc's and server from anywhere.  I do however have up to 4 people using computers in the network at the same time.  One of these people is 16 and has a problem listening to instructions. Furthermore I have concern over what she is doing on the computer.  The thought of using Active Directory to control the time they are allowed to be on the computer to what they can access and so on is great, but from my research this is an un supported mode on WHS.  My question, really is this: Should I be using a different server that will allow me to do what WHS does but give me greater control over the users of the computers by having a domain?  Or is there an alternate method to achieve what I need by using WHS?  Any insight would be fabulous!

Server Novice
    28 Yrs of age
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:15 AM

Answers

• Active Directory is pretty much incompatible with Windows Home Server. If you promote your server to a domain controller, all local users are converted to domain users, which will interfere with Windows Home Server security management. And joining Windows Home Server to a domain is a violation of the EULA, one which is enforced in the operating system (which will begin rebooting regularly after a period of time).

You can, however, set up a domain controller and connect your server to the network anyway, as long as you don't join the server to the domain. And you can enroll a domain-joined client computer to your server, though you may find synchronizing passwords and users a little more challenging.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:51 PM

All replies

• Active Directory is pretty much incompatible with Windows Home Server. If you promote your server to a domain controller, all local users are converted to domain users, which will interfere with Windows Home Server security management. And joining Windows Home Server to a domain is a violation of the EULA, one which is enforced in the operating system (which will begin rebooting regularly after a period of time).

You can, however, set up a domain controller and connect your server to the network anyway, as long as you don't join the server to the domain. And you can enroll a domain-joined client computer to your server, though you may find synchronizing passwords and users a little more challenging.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:51 PM
  • I use a proxy server, i like RhinoSofts, Allegrosurf. Its about $130 for 6 concurrent ip addresses, but you can limit by user or group where they go, and at what times.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 4:43 AM