Buy now and upgrade later vs. wait for new release? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'd like to buy a Windows Home Server pre-installed in a system (HP, Acer, etc.) but I'd like to buy it with the new OS installed once Vail gets out of beta.  I waited until Windows 7 came out to buy my last computer and I'm happy with that choice.  (I had done the same previously with Vista.)

I believe upgrading a WHS would be more complicated than upgrading the Windows PC OS due to the transitions such as 64 bit and due to having data on the server itself when the upgrade would be done. 
    1. What are others' opinions on this?
    2. Approximately when is Vail expected to be finalized into the next version of WHS? (I'm only asking for ballpark plans for planning purposes.)

My apologies if this question has been answered on the forum elsewhere.
    I didn't find the answer on this page or elsewhere: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/faq.mspx
    Thank you in advance for any feedback!
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:34 AM not a technical question
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:38 AM

All replies

• Whereas the goal and the target of WHS, the upgrading scenario will propably not be an option.

1. Upgrading from WHS1 to Vail is technicaly hard (moving all existing datas - Wipe the systeme - install Vail - build storage pool - restore all datas - ...)

2. WHS is made for OEM, it's made to be sold with brand new hardware.

etc.

So you will probably never see any kind of "free upgrade" if you buy a WHS server before Vail release (as it was with Vista and 7) .. It's not the same things.

You better have to wait the vail release, if not youll have to buy a new full licence of Vail and make the fresh install yourself.

For the planning standpoint : At this time there is no date for the vail release. Certainly something around the end of the year .. but who knows?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Additionally, Vail is 64 bit only and WHS is 32 bit only..., would be a modern miracle to have the code written to facilitate an upgrade between the two..., cuz, essentially, it's upgrading Server 2003 x86 to Server 2008 x64...,

Can't wait for this to hit the streets though..., have the hardware ready and waiting to build a new "faster" WHS!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:32 AM
  • On the Dashboard, in "Configure media settings" you can go to "General" activate Vail and after that it will say "Change product key..." you can click on that.

So I guess when it's out all you have to do is by a product key and keep using it.

I have the old WHS Does any one know if they will have a discount for this Vail one when it's out if you have the old WHS?

This Vail is looking good. A nice update to use with Windows 7.

-Raymond Day

Raymond Day
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:05 AM
  • On the Dashboard, in "Configure media settings" you can go to "General" activate Vail and after that it will say "Change product key..." you can click on that.

So I guess when it's out all you have to do is by a product key and keep using it. 

Don't count on it.  This is beta code.  Although MS hasn't said anything, you should expect to have to do a clean install of RTM.  (MS has never supported an upgrade of any beta OS to any RTM OS.) 
    I have the old WHS Does any one know if they will have a discount for this Vail one when it's out if you have the old WHS?

MS has not said anything about that one way or the other.  You should keep checking the WHS team blog for updates about the product.

This Vail is looking good. A nice update to use with Windows 7.

-Raymond Day

Raymond Day

Saturday, September 25, 2010 12:22 AM