Project Server 2010 not building scheduled OLAP Cubes RRS feed

• Question

• We have an OLAP Cube that is scheduled to build nightly.  Its been running without issues for several months now, but the last week has not been running any scheduled builds.  Everything builds fine when run manually, but the scheduled events are not happening.  

There are no errors being reported in the log files.  In fact, there is no trace of these jobs anywhere in the log files since they stopped running.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:37 PM

Answers

• Check SharePoint central and look under Monitor and then Job and see if the Project Server 'xxxx' Cube Admin Job is running.

also, check the SQL Server Agent is running.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried cranking up the ULS Logging to Verbose for the Analysis Cube Building and scheduling the job to see if anything is actually happening?

Also, it might be worth reconfiguring,  or changing the OLAP cube settings and saving them again, and give it a knock.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  We did try to change the settings and save the cube, but had no luck.  I actually scheduled a new test job which also didn't run.  As with most issues, a simple reboot solved our problems. 

I hadn't thought about turning up the logging settings, though. 

THanks,

Mike

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Disable scheduled OLAP cube built first.

Then from Central Admin , delete the cube building timer job.

Enable OLAP cube build job, verify that timer job has been re-created.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Check SharePoint central and look under Monitor and then Job and see if the Project Server 'xxxx' Cube Admin Job is running.

also, check the SQL Server Agent is running.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:35 PM
  • This is likely to be that the SharePoint Timer Service has stopped. I had this problem, with the same symptoms you describe. When looking at the SharePoint timer jobs, none of them had ran for most of the day, when trying to run one that failed (scheduled unpublish i think) it did not run. Checking the Windows Services, it was apparent that the SharePoint Timer Service was stopped, on ALL wfe's. Restarting this casued the backed up jobs to run including the OLAP build.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:21 PM