none
WHS new install does not have ethernet driver for motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a new WHS, want to do HDMI.  I bought a ASUS M4A785-M motherboard & AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad Core processor, HDD, Case & Windows Home Server from Tiger Direct.  The WHS is Power Pack 1 and when loaded does not have an Windows NT ethernet driver for to replace the Realtek RTL8111/8112 Lan Driver for Windows that came with the motherboard. 

I have discovered that I need Power Pack 3 to handle the Windows 7 machines on my Net and also to handle the 64 bit stuff.  I downloaded WHS Power Pack 3 trial software from Microsoft, could not find the product key for the trial.  Now the product key on my POwer Pack 1 does not work on the trial software. 

Any suggestions?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:59 AM

All replies

• I'm building a new WHS, want to do HDMI.  I bought a ASUS M4A785-M motherboard & AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad Core processor, HDD, Case & Windows Home Server from Tiger Direct.  The WHS is Power Pack 1 and when loaded does not have an Windows NT ethernet driver for to replace the Realtek RTL8111/8112 Lan Driver for Windows that came with the motherboard. 

I have discovered that I need Power Pack 3 to handle the Windows 7 machines on my Net and also to handle the 64 bit stuff.  I downloaded WHS Power Pack 3 trial software from Microsoft, could not find the product key for the trial.  Now the product key on my POwer Pack 1 does not work on the trial software. 

Any suggestions?
    You can't use the product keys from the OEM on the trial version.

As for the NIC, ideally you want Server 2003 drivers.  Otherwise, try an XP driver.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 15, 2010 3:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bob Totten Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:55 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:06 AM
  • You can't load the XP drivers once you have installed WHS.  The XP drivers work fine on XP though.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:53 AM
  • You can't load the XP drivers once you have installed WHS.  The XP drivers work fine on XP though.
    Why not?  Are you getting some sort of error?  Have you tried installing it in compatibility mode?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:05 AM
  • How are you installing the drivers? Are you using an installer exe file withing the zip? If so, that could be the problem.
    Try to update the driver using the device manager and browse to the folder where you've extracted the files.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:07 AM