Internet sharing over an HP home server and a couple other questions. RRS feed

• Question

• newb here. I’m looking into buying a home server to network my 3 computers together.

My questions,

1) If I have the internet connected to one computer can the internet be shared with the other 2 computers using the home server?

2) Will I be able to access one computers files and folders from another computer on the net work? Say I have a child with a computer in their room that I would like to monitor.

3) Will I be able to play computers games with network capabilities? Blizzards Star craft as an example.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:05 PM

Answers

•  jason818 wrote:

newb here. I’m looking into buying a home server to network my 3 computers together.

My questions,

1) If I have the internet connected to one computer can the internet be shared with the other 2 computers using the home server?

Yes, but using a router and a wired network is a better way. 

2) Will I be able to access one computers files and folders from another computer on the net work? Say I have a child with a computer in their room that I would like to monitor.

Yes you can access files and monitor other machines.  I use TightVNC to monitor my kids' computer. (WinXP Home)

3) Will I be able to play computers games with network capabilities? Blizzards Star craft as an example.

You bet! 

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:24 PM
  • The answer to all three of your questions is yes, as another poster has stated, but none of the things you are asking about require a home server.
    1. You can use your home server as a router, but it's not advisable, and if you purchase an HP MediaSmart Server not possible. Internet Connection Sharing requires multiple network adapters in the computer providing that service, and there's only one in the HP MediaSmart Server. ICS/RRAS isn't a supported use of Windows Home Server anyway, so I agree with the other poster in that you should get a good router for the purpose.
    2. You will be able to access the shares on the server from any computer on your network. However, the server doesn't provide any tools for monitoring internet or other computer usage. If you want to monitor a child's computer activity, the best place to start it to not put a computer in the child's room where they can have private (i.e. not regularly monitored) use of it. No matter what protections you put in place, a parent's eye is better than any of it.
    3. You don't need a home server for that, just a home network.
    A home server will do some useful things for you. If you need to be able to share files among multiple PCs on a regular basis, it provides a central location for storing those files. It will automate and simplify backups of home PCs. It will make your files avaialble to all the computers in your home, and if you wish (and your ISP permits), will make those files and computers available to external users through the Windows Home Server Remote Access site.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:23 AM

All replies

•  jason818 wrote:

newb here. I’m looking into buying a home server to network my 3 computers together.

My questions,

Yes, but using a router and a wired network is a better way. 

Yes you can access files and monitor other machines.  I use TightVNC to monitor my kids' computer. (WinXP Home)

You bet! 

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:24 PM
  • The answer to all three of your questions is yes, as another poster has stated, but none of the things you are asking about require a home server.
    1. You can use your home server as a router, but it's not advisable, and if you purchase an HP MediaSmart Server not possible. Internet Connection Sharing requires multiple network adapters in the computer providing that service, and there's only one in the HP MediaSmart Server. ICS/RRAS isn't a supported use of Windows Home Server anyway, so I agree with the other poster in that you should get a good router for the purpose.
    2. You will be able to access the shares on the server from any computer on your network. However, the server doesn't provide any tools for monitoring internet or other computer usage. If you want to monitor a child's computer activity, the best place to start it to not put a computer in the child's room where they can have private (i.e. not regularly monitored) use of it. No matter what protections you put in place, a parent's eye is better than any of it.
    3. You don't need a home server for that, just a home network.
    A home server will do some useful things for you. If you need to be able to share files among multiple PCs on a regular basis, it provides a central location for storing those files. It will automate and simplify backups of home PCs. It will make your files avaialble to all the computers in your home, and if you wish (and your ISP permits), will make those files and computers available to external users through the Windows Home Server Remote Access site.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:23 AM