Show loading until custom command is finished RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to everyone, I'm interested in one thing:

I have custom ribbon button that does some custom actions. That actions can be time consuming and they can last at least 5 seconds. I want to disable for user to click on other buttons and ribbons and also I want to signal him that something is being done in background and that user should wait. I want to achieve same thing that happens when you save an entity and then all other buttons are disabled until saving is finished.

What do you think is the best way of doing that? I need solution that works both in web client and outlook client.

For now I have custom javascript plugin that shows loading over other buttons and disables interaction with them, but that doesn't work in outlook.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
    Marin Glibić

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The usual way to handle these long running Command actions is to do the work in a popup dialog rather than the host window it's self. This way you can show a please wait/progress bar.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Marin Glibic Monday, September 23, 2013 2:04 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 8:26 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

The usual way to handle these long running Command actions is to do the work in a popup dialog rather than the host window it's self. This way you can show a please wait/progress bar.

hth,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Marin Glibic Monday, September 23, 2013 2:04 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 8:26 AM
    Answerer
  • Although it is for crm 4 however you can make it for 2011:-

http://weblogs.asp.net/gayanperera/archive/2009/05/05/dynamics-crm-4-progress-bar.aspx

Regards Faisal

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Thanks for your information. I tried to make modal dialogs with showModalDialog function, but Chrome doesn't make modal windows after calling that function, so that was my concern.

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:04 PM