Problem With Computer Backup Over Network RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have one computer connected to my WHS, a Dell Dimension E520 running Vista Ultimate. When the WHS attempted the first backup of this machine I still had the external hard drive connected to it that I'd been using to back it up and the backup failed. (The external hard drive contained both Vista Backup file backups and Windows Image files from Complete PC Backup.)

A few hours later I disconnected the external hard drive and carried out a manual backup of the machine from the WHS Console. This successfully backed up the C: and D: partitions that together make up the internal hard drive but showed the external hard drive with the name "(Local Disk)", Location of "Missing" and backup Status of "Failed". As a result my Vista machine has a current status of "Not Backed Up" in the Computers & Backup section of the WHS Console. A second manual backup the next day achieved the same result.

I would like to somehow erase the WHS memory of the external hard drive that was connected to the Vista machine so that I can take a successful backup and use PC Recovery if I need to. Can anyone advise how I can achieve this?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:24 AM

Answers

• Click 'configure backup' for the vista machine, then uncheck the tick box beside the 'missing' drive.  WHS will then not bother trying to backup this drive.

Alex.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:21 AM

All replies

• Open the WHS console from the system tray icon on the client machine, go to the computers tab. There you will find an option to configure the backup for connected computers

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:20 AM
  • Click 'configure backup' for the vista machine, then uncheck the tick box beside the 'missing' drive.  WHS will then not bother trying to backup this drive.

Alex.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Thanks for this, will I still be able to use WHS PC Restore successfully to recover the machine?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:26 AM
  • Yes that'll still work fine Big Smile
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:27 AM