XP, Vista, 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. This is actually two questions that should have similar answers...maybe.

1. I want to buy a new laptop, but I don't want to run Windows 7 or Vista. I want to run Windows XP, which I really love.  I've  seen enough of 7 and Vista from family and friends to know that I don't want either. But, of course, I seem to have let the "Windows XP down-gradable!" offers pass me by. I didn't need a new laptop then, but I do now. My old one was a Dell Inspiron,  so old that it came with Windows ME, and an offer  offer for a free upgrade to XP when it became available, which I did. Can I buy a new laptop with Windows 7, then wipe the hard drive and install XP from the disc that came with the Dell? Let it be understood; . I'm not asking for my money back from changing back to XP from whatever OEM version of Windows 7 the maker offers, and I don't want to spend the time to look for a system with no operating system, which I couldn't use the XP from my ancient,  dying Inspiron. I also have a mini ITX with a full retail version of XP installed, or, rather, did until I gutted it for a few parts I needed for another exsisting system. Can I use that,  or the Dell OEM version with my new laptop?

2. I've been gradually updating my dads computer, which I built from scratch and installed a retail version of XP. The only thing left is the hard drive and the case, which he now wants to replace, The optical drive, the RAM, the CPU and the mobo have all been upgraded, but I've never re-installed the OS. I'ts  always been my understanding that you could change up to five components without buying a new version, as long as it was a retail version. He also wants to keep XP, which this 83 year old has taken at least nine years to learn the basics  of XP (I'm talking about a pioneer in the field of dermatological electron microscopy back in the '60's and went on to found a reknown Pigment and Lesison center. Go figure...).

So, what are my options?

Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:39 AM

Answers

• Question 2 first, no problem reinstalling it or reactivating it as it is a retail product. When you change out the drive you will need to reinstall and activate on the new drive, if activation fails online then choose the phone option.

As for question 1, the copy of windows XP that came with the dell is an OEM copy and not transferable to a new computer. I suggest you try windows 7 before taking the expense of purchasing windows XP. However, if you do choose to purchase windows XP purchase it from a reliable vendor, It is getting harder and harder to find but avoid auction sites or other questionable sources

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:37 PM

All replies

• Question 2 first, no problem reinstalling it or reactivating it as it is a retail product. When you change out the drive you will need to reinstall and activate on the new drive, if activation fails online then choose the phone option.

As for question 1, the copy of windows XP that came with the dell is an OEM copy and not transferable to a new computer. I suggest you try windows 7 before taking the expense of purchasing windows XP. However, if you do choose to purchase windows XP purchase it from a reliable vendor, It is getting harder and harder to find but avoid auction sites or other questionable sources

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hello John Pearson,

Regarding Q1, first you have to purchase a computer with the correct edition of Windows 7 in order to take advantage of downgrade rights.  Downgrade rights are only conferred by business editions of Windows 7, which for consumers would be Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, so your new computer would need to have an OEM license for one of these two editions.

Also, make sure you select a computer that still has XP drivers available for the components---sometimes this is not as easy as you'd think!

Let's say you ordered and received such a computer, now the task is to install XP.  The full retail XP disc and product key you said you had on a now-nonoperational computer would be ideal for this task, since you won't run into any activation hassles with the full retail product key, so I'd say use that one first.  Note that you are not actually using the XP license represented by the disc and key---the license per se is the Windows 7 license that came on the new computer.  That means this retail XP license can still be used on another computer because the XP license is not being installed, just the XP software which is running under the W7 license.

You could also use the Dell XP OEM materials and the Dell XP PK on the Dell XP CoA to do the installation of the XP software onto the new computer, but they you'd have to do a telephonic activation.  Remember that you are not transferring the Dell OEM license--you are just installing the software.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:38 PM