none
Acer Aspire Easy Home Server Problem With Resetting Log in and wanting to do a Full reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• hi i bought the Acer Aspire Easy Home server  from staples and it was working for a bit now every time i log into the server with remote desktop it resets if i have anything on the desktop and i log off and log on or reboot  it erases it  sets it back to the same settings as u first installed.

now is there a fix for this  plus it cant ever finish off installing the 1 security update

2nd question is  the restore cd  cant find the computer when i do the reset on the back of the server and such whats up with that?

3rd question is i wanna format the drive and reinstall it like it had done with the connector software  how can i do that  since this has no monitor output  id like to be abel to reinstall and start fresh
    any help guys?
    Friday, September 25, 2009 12:09 PM

All replies

• also i curious is there a unattended iso i could download so i could burn it to DVD and then plug my usb burner into the port and it will automaticlly format the drive and install the home server like it came and all u had to do was run the connector software?
    Friday, September 25, 2009 12:51 PM
  • You should use the server restore procedure as described by Acer. I'm not familiar with the Acer, however I expext you need to boot the server in restore mode, then run the restore CD/DVD from a networked client. The process is probably described in detail in the documentation supplied with the server, or may even be shown when you run the restore CD/DVD on a client.

Concerning resetting the desktop, I expect Acer has defined some script that runs automatically at logon. You could check Start, All Programs, Startup or from the server desktop do Start, Run, type gpedit.msc, Hit Enter, then check Windows Settings, Scripts for both Computer and User Configuration.

Please note that if you make any errors when logged on to the server desktop you may mess up you server.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:01 PM
  • hi there ya they give u a cd for server restore  but i dont think it returns the computer back to pre updates and such  but i did do what it said  shut the server off then turn on  and then press reset then use the cd  well it doesnt work now since the reset button  it doesnt get an ip address so i cant access it at all  so i wanted to know if i can install the home server software via the usb cdrom    so  using the gpedit.msc i wont work since i cant access the server at all anymore  like it was working pre me hitting the reset button but after that hasnt worked since  go figure

and if it happens again that the desktop of the server keeps resetting  like it was a new user and setting the desktop the first time what would i look for  in the gpedit.msc  for scripts to make sure it was right  or wrong

so i stumped now
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Tried calling Acer tech support? Presumably the support is one reason you bought an OEM unit, rather than building your own...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:38 PM
  • i would if they offered call tech support only offer email tech support and they can reply whenever  lol  even if it wasnt oem  since there is no monitor capablities  makes it harder lol go figure    i could build my own  but i couldnt build it small enough like that for transporting

figures my luck lol
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:14 PM
  • well since nothing was working got a friend to bring over his home server cd he bought used my serial number to install on my other hard drive and then i shoved it back into the acer box  u think it would work nope  i got a flashing blue I  and the the hard drive light flashes a bit  and so does the light for the usb  external  device yet nothing plugged in  i press the reset button on the back and the I goes to red flashing 

so i no better off then i started and the not accessing the comp anymroe happened after pressing the reset button
    go figure.  be nice to get an iso  of the hard drive  guess ill have to go to staples and get an iso  of the hard drive and burn it to dvd  or something
    then i can copy it to the hard drive so it can self install
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:21 AM
  • hi so i finnally got it to work  for some reason lol
    before when i was getting the Red I to flash and got the network card light working after 10 min of waiting,  i couldnt use the restore cd even if i had the server found and gave u the 2 options  reinstall or install new cuz it was grayed out but it worked after i rebooted my client computer

but what i tried was i installed the home server software on my other computer  onto the hard drive using my SN  on back of the box of the acer and setting it up like my other comp would be the server then i put it back into the server computer.  but it doesnt work yet  playing with it for hours i found u have to hit the reset button  and let it wait till u get the network card light to work other then that it just idles all year lol 

but since i got that to work i gonna play around with it cuz i not sure if u can install the home server software on the server  without the OS being installed like if i just have a wiped HD and hit the reset button on the back and maybe it boots up a different software, so that allowing u  to boot from the cds not sure  but at least its working now  and so is the desktop its saving the stuff on there   well this is pre updates havent done the updates yet for it  so lets hope it works too.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:21 PM