Connector for Windows XP 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I read the news that there will be a Windows Home Server connector coming up in Power Pack 1 that will support Windows Vista 64-bit editions.

Please consider making a connector for Windows XP 64-bit as well.

If this is not going to happen, could anyone informed please explain why this won't be happening? Is it because of technical limitations or purely "political" reasons (ie. you want everyone over on Vista).

I'm quite dissappointed if there never will be a connector for Windows XP 64-bit. My main machine has 8 gigs of RAM, and I have tried running Vista on it twice. Unfortunately, my setup with dual videocards and really inferior drivers for those make it next to impossible for me to run Vista on it at this point in time, rendering my WHS server more or less file-copy only until something more stable comes out.

Best Regards,

Tom Reiertsen

Bergen, Norway

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe it's because of technical limitations. The connector relies on certain support from the operating system, and that support isn't present in XP x64. While it might be possible to create a version of the connector specifically for XP x64, to be honest it doesn't have enough market penetration to make it worthwhile.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:16 AM
  • I'd be very interested in knowing which techical limitations this might be. They already have a connector for Windows XP 32-bit and also Vista 32-bit and now soon Vista 64-bit. It seems very strange to me that any API or technical feature should be missing from XP 64-bit.

It seems rather that (as you say) the market penetration for XP 64-bit is too low to make the effort worthwhile, but here I'd really have to disagree on that point. Microsoft should support all their current OS'es.

Best Regards,

Tom Reiertsen

Bergen, Norway

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:58 PM
  •  Tom Reiertsen wrote:

I'd be very interested in knowing which techical limitations this might be. They already have a connector for Windows XP 32-bit and also Vista 32-bit and now soon Vista 64-bit. It seems very strange to me that any API or technical feature should be missing from XP 64-bit.

It seems rather that (as you say) the market penetration for XP 64-bit is too low to make the effort worthwhile, but here I'd really have to disagree on that point. Microsoft should support all their current OS'es.

Best Regards,

Tom Reiertsen

Bergen, Norway

Tom, really XP isnt a current OS, its a previous OS, but Ken is right, there is no real penetration for 64 bit XP to warrent it.

Andrew

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:46 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Tom, really XP isnt a current OS, its a previous OS, but Ken is right, there is no real penetration for 64 bit XP to warrent it.

Andrew

Andrew,

According to this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/servers/64bit/x64/overview.mspx

Windows XP 64-bit is very much a current OS (just check the Related Microsoft Sites section to the right).

You can then follow the link to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

Our definitions of a current OS surely differs. I think of a current OS as something currently being sold and supported.

I still maintain my wish to get a connector for Windows XP 64-bit, it cannot be that difficult to implement seeing that it will has been implemented for XP 32, Vista 32 & 64-bit.

If there is a technical reason for not implementing it for 64-bit Windows XP I would accept that as an explanation, if not it just seems that Microsoft is being cheap and not really supporting their customers as they should. Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion.

I'm quite dissapointed with the situation. I got my WHS monday this week (a HP MediaSmart EX475) and I did not check the system requirements before purchasing it. This surely is my own fault, by I really didn't think in a million years that something so basic would not support all versions of XP and Vista right out of the box. Fortunately I have several computers and got it installed from a Vista 32-bit laptop. But coupled with not being able to backup my main machine and the data corruption bug I'm now stuck with a glorified "external harddrive"-thingy that I can't trust until June. Dissapointed!

Best Regards,

Tom Reiertsen

Bergen, Norway

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Tom

I agree, I think our definitions are different. I consider a current OS one that Microsoft (or any company) actively keeps up to date and produces enhancements for. XP will no longer have any updates or enhancements produced for it, only security fixes. And as of next year its out of support.

Im sure if you asked Microsoft what their current desktop OS is, the answer would be Vista.

Microsoft have said that they are not going to produce an XP 64 bit connector, you will just have to accept that. They dont need to explain why they are not going to do it. My advice would be if you want to use 64 bit, upgrade to Vista 64 bit when PP1 ships as it has a 64 bit connector that works great.

Im sorry you are disappointed, but as you said, you didnt check the requirements and the corruption bug has been detailed since December. I know thats not exactly a comfort to you, but unfortunately thats the way it is.

Andrew

Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:09 AM
  • Hi!

Check out this entry in Philip Churchill's blog: http://mswhs.com/2008/03/13/existing-connector-software-works-on-windows-xp-x64-sp2/

Regards, Alex

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  AliG575730 wrote:

Hi!

Check out this entry in Philip Churchill's blog: http://mswhs.com/2008/03/13/existing-connector-software-works-on-windows-xp-x64-sp2/

Regards, Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the link. I have now successfully installed the connector on my XP 64-bit and can perform backups from it. Really appreciated!

Best Regards,

Tom Reiertsen

Bergen, Norway

Friday, March 14, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Windows XP x64 is not actaully Windows XP, it's Windows Server 2003 modified to look like Windows XP.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 10:40 AM